Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mike-o posted:

Gonna get my rear end back to CC come April. Fell out of it but I'm gonna get my rear end going again and finally get a degree and transfer to UW or something I dunno yet. Also gonna peep butts but then it's gonna feel creepy cuz they're all 18-21 year olds.

I'm pretty much doing the exact same thing. Gonna get a transfer degree and then either go back to UW or go to Seattle U.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Write a paper on space piracy.

Include quotes from Elite and EVE

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Booblord Zagats posted:

You'd think some Ivy Leaguers could come up with a better name than "Milvets"

It doesn't convey nearly as much snobbishness as it should. I feel like you can't be a derisive Ivy League type and say you are a member of the Milvets

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Crazy Dutchman posted:

EasyBib does APA just fine, but you have to pay for it. Easily worth the $20 a year when you are writing a lot of papers.

But Microsoft Word has a pretty good reference feature built in that allows you to insert citations in several styles, as well as generate a bibliography. Why pay more?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Soulex posted:

gently caress that I'm gonna go make 17 bucks an hour at SafewayCostcoTrader JoesWhole Foods

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I started my first day of classes today. I went to college and dropped out before enlisting, so I'm incredibly nervous about repeating past mistakes, so today has been an odd mix of emotions for me. On the other hand, I just saw my first confirmed veteran. Dude wearing IR flag hat; 5.11 jacket, complete with IR flag and blood type; USMC lanyards; and a glorious vet beard. I'm waiting for him to bring up his service

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

DownByTheWooter posted:

Lab 8: Metal Cations

Using NH3, HNO3, NaOH, NaCl, and Na2SO4, I have to devise a scheme to separate out Al3+, Fe3+, Ni2+, and Ag+ from a randomly assigned test solution. Maybe all of them, maybe only one are in the test solution. For several reactions, I have to determine through the K values whether the ions are forming complexes or doing nothing at all.

gently caress. This. Lab.

Holy poo poo am I happy I've already done chemistry, because while I recognize all of those words, I don't remember poo poo about any of that

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
It's the saddest mid-life crisis that leads to a man deciding that finding himself involves a community college art history class.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

The Rat posted:

Maybe you weren't, how shall we say, friendly enough for them?

I feel like they fired that rejection off real fast and it went right to his head.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

DownByTheWooter posted:

ok, cool

I already did this, but I wasn't sure if I should trust the VA when it just sends me to a screen that says, "lol we'll be in touch"

They sent me a letter saying they received my request and that they'd review it. They also said they'd send me another letter if they need to meet with me. Of course it took almost a month for me to get that letter. I'm still waiting on the follow-up.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Just discovered the veterans lounge at my school. The drat thing is hidden away in a corner of the cafeteria, so it took me a couple weeks to find, but drat is it great. The couch I'm currently sitting on is one of those super comfy nap couches, there's coffee and snacks, and the other people in here are pretty chill and just working on schoolwork. Nobody cared when I came in and I'm sure nobody will care when I leave. This place is a little slice of paradise for me to relax in during my break between classes.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'd go home but it's a fifteen minute drive since I'm just doing community college for the time being. I use my break to study for my art history class (:argh: loving credit requirements) or do homework so that I can spend my time at home playing with my dogs or hanging out with my girlfriend

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Victor Vermis posted:

Why are you wasting time knocking out general degree requirements at a Community College? Big boy school will have more fun bullshit options like FILM and BUTT-STARING (yoga/meditation).

Community college is for remedial Math and English.

I went to school and dropped out before I enlisted. Big boy schools didn't want me because of my holy poo poo godawful GPA.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm looking at getting a new printer to replace my HP and I'm starting to think Brother is the way to go. All I really need is print, scan, and copy on a small scale as it's just for homework and the occasional document. Which one should I go with?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Holy poo poo I am struggling to care about my modern art history class, especially since the teacher basically reads from the book and rambles on in class. Any suggestions for learning about it in a way that isn't super boring?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm doing a presentation about the VA for a public speaking class. Anybody got a horrible joke I could use as an opener?

Also, I will be citing you.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

What's the greatest cause of troop deaths? The VA.

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS. “How old is too old to date an 18 year old? the student veterans lounge.” Something Awful. Something Awful. 8 May 2016. Web. 8 May 2016

I'm sure that this will go over well

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I've decided that I'm gonna go with Vasudus, because I don't think I want to explain to my teacher who Something Awful forums poster EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS is

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

holocaust bloopers posted:

I encountered pronouns and other tumblr stuff maybe three times in 2 and a half years of college?

It's not as prevalent as you think.

I've encountered it once and that's because it's coming from a trans vet and I don't give a poo poo and neither does he

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Kawasaki Nun posted:

It really speaks to the degradation of the United States that people can stand up and say "As a vet I, " on any number of subjects and not be shouted down. Where are the college students of yesteryear who spit on returning draftees while deriding them as babykillers? Where did we go wrong?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

sup blue squares

:vince:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mike-o posted:

I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place, not quite yet though. I can do all this general education poo poo in my area, but once I want to start getting specific geology courses I need to either settle for a smaller private college, or uproot and move to either Bellingham or Pullman for WWU or WSU (based on my geology professor's recommendations for schools with good geology programs). So I settle for the small private college so my family can stay in the same place, or I wait six years for my daughter to finish middle and highschool, and then finally get back in and do the rest of college I need. I think I just need to go talk to an advisor and figure this poo poo out. The private college doesn't sound too bad from what my professor said, I was just really hoping for WSU or WWU. Maybe I can do my masters later at one of those college? gently caress, yeah I just need to talk to an advisor because I barely know wtf I'm doing. All I know is I want to do geology.

With WWU you get to be immediately surrounded by hippies, whereas at WSU you're surrounded by nothing but farmland and eventually HCT. From what I've heard the geology program at Western is really good, plus you wouldn't be stuck in the middle of loving nowhere.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Casimir Radon posted:

Apparently U of Phoenix got unbanned by DOD which is a shame. The Wizard of Oz commercial they're running right now is some disgustingly manipulative bullshit.

So what General got placed on their board of directors?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Oh my god my English 101 class is combined with a 99 class and every day that I show up is a day I feel like I've wasted. gently caress making attendance almost a quarter of the grade.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Ckwiesr posted:

Why not just CLEP that poo poo if you don't think you need a refresher? It's free for us anyways. Also, khan academy is the awesome for brushing up on math skills.

It's been years since I've done any writing and I thought I needed the practice.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
My English 101 class is all kinds of crazy. Over the course of this class I've learned my teacher is diabetic but doesn't believe in using insulin because it isn't natural. Furthermore she's way into alternative medicine and brings it up nearly every day. The nurses (actual licensed nurses, which isn't much better than nursing students) back up her crazy with all sorts of dumb anecdotal evidence. The teacher one day made a point about Type One and a Half Diabetes being a very real, very rare, and very dangerous health condition. There's an old guy who I think only takes classes to have someone to talk to that every day hijacks discussion to bring up inane poo poo. His crazy involves being sixty years old and still living with his mother, like Chevy Chase from community without the wealth or humor or being Chevy Chase. Today we had a brief discussion about chemtrails. Not in name, just the teacher pointing out the window in the general direction of a vapor trail and calling it, "All that poo poo in the air." Apparently the chemicals in the air make her sick every day and makes it so she can't breathe at night. There's more crazy if anyone wants to hear more about it.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Insulin. Not natural. RNs agreeing.

:psyboom:

She's been hospitalized several times for nearly dying but still thinks she's in perfectly good health and that her way of dealing with diabetes is better than what "modern medicine" and the American Diabetes Association would have you believe.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mike-o posted:

Yes please more :allears:

I'm pretty sure I remember you being in Washington too, I'd ask what college but I don't want anyone being a weird loving goon and tracking you down or some poo poo.

I don't mind saying it's a community college north of Seattle.

One portion of the class involved reading a book about food and health, because as a diabetic my teacher cares greatly about eating healthy. Not a big deal, right? Well, the book has a number of essays with titles like, "Monsanto's Harvest of Fear" and "Soy Imperialism". Of course, those are the essays that we read in the class. Predictably, they're also the source of a lot of continuing fear-mongering over GMOs, chemicals, toxins, and whether or not something is "natural". Hardly a day goes by now that we don't hear something about Monsanto being evil. As for the soy imperialism, well, there was a lot of correlation being causation that makes my teacher think that soy causes all kinds of diseases and impairs development. I'm still waiting to find out whether or not vaccines cause autism.

I have to dig through my chat log with my brother because there was a whole bunch of crazy yesterday that I want to get right.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Oh my god, my English teacher is ranting about the dairy industry and how they're massively conspiratorial and trying to push cow milk on people.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Vasudus posted:

Be sure to absolutely rip them apart on evaluations. Adjuncts need good evals to keep their contracts renewing, and tenure-track professors need them to get tenure.

If they have tenure lol @ you.

Oh I will. Her incompetence is astounding. At one point she wanted to impress us by letting us know that she actually read a paper a student wrote.

I've gone through some chat logs from the past few weeks with my brother where I discuss my English class and I think that all of the following messages give a little bit of insight into my average day.

quote:

My teacher is holding up a magazine article about a fat mouse and asking how many of us are like that

I guess we're trying to discern the difference between information or argument

Oh god the nurse is going off on a tangent now

Oh Jesus now the old guy is weighing in

Lol my teacher can starve herself and still be fat wtf how does metabolism and diet work?

Lol my teacher is no closer to curing her type two diabetes through holistic methods than when she started twenty years ago

Gene fear mongering now

Because there's a lot of bacteria in your gut your gut reaction is really your gut thinking for you rather than a figure of speech

Now we're listening to an essay about hydrotherapy

Did you know 70% of the human body is water?

Or that 70% of the earth's surface is water?

Hydrotherapy is effective because of the abundance of water on earth and in your body

Lol because Buddhists are stereotyped as calm then they're scientific experts in relaxation

Also, the word toxins comes up a lot

Oh god now it's homeopathy

Jesus Christ my class is retarded and can't tell the basic difference between argument and information

Another essay, but this one is the idea that consciousness is interconnected between all life and thought can change reality

Lol wtf now it's about quantum mechanics

Oh poo poo loving CERN now

Now my teacher is trying to convince us that because quantum mechanics exists therefore Eastern philosophies are grounded entirely in proof and everything is real

We're comparing a picture of a snowflake that apparently had Mozart played to it versus one that listened to heavy metal

Oh and one had mean words written on the bottle

Okay here we go with the full crazy

Thinking nice things makes the water in your body feel good and makes you healthy and also influences your genes by controlling them through good intent which creates positive energy fields

Hahahaha by thinking that you're happy you attract good things that alter your reality

Oh boy now we're breaking into groups to go over past papers

Yay spiritualism, I get to read about the twelve step program

Lol old guy is in the group reading about sexuality

"Premarital sex is a sin"

"It's not just for procreation anymore"

"Back in my generation"

"True Christianity Improves Society"

Did you know that the socio-economic status of any country is directly related to whether or not that country practices church-centered or Christ-centered Christianity?

Jesus Christ I hate any person that uses a dictionary definition to make their argument

Like motherfucker, the meanings of words change

Lol of course they cite the loving Bible

"Cali, Colombia was one city that really needed Christianity in order to end the rule of crime and restore morality"

I'm reading a paper about penis size and sexual satisfaction now

This dude in my class is talking about how many calories he's burnt during sex and that it's way more than the average

This was one day in my class. I'm going to miss it when it's over.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Just finished my stats final. It seemed too easy, I hope I didn't gently caress it all up.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Soulex posted:

poo poo, attendance is mandatory at my school. To the point where you drop a third a letter grade if you skip.

I also played Yoga Butt bingo today and saw Daisy Dukes with butt cheek hanging out, camel toe on another and this loving shirt poncho thing? Like a shirt with no sides? Whatever her loving boobs were out through the gap she didn't have a shirt. Well bra but still.

I know I'm getting old where I am more amazed these people leave the house like this than I am breaking my neck.

I am so sorry for you

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Soulex posted:

After submitting it September 2nd, I finally got a letter from the VA about Vocrehab. They said that they will mail me a letter with their decision and then gave me a piece of paper that said that if I wanted to appeal THAT decision, that was how to do it.

I spent two quarters on Post-9/11 while doing all of the voc rehab paperwork. Finally started it this quarter and drat it felt good buying all of the books I needed with VA money

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Soulex posted:

Does/did anyone take Italian?

In the 173d I learned to say vaffanculo

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Zeris posted:

A dude in my graduate program dropped out last year to work on the Trump campaign. He's back this year (got fired), he wears a MAGA hat, and he got fat. Even the faculty openly talk poo poo about him in front of me. Amazing.

Good lord I wish I were in your shoes. I would talk so much poo poo

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

I made this for my 2D Design class. The prompt was to have a five-panel series that goes from disorder to order. I talked about my idea with my teacher of going from disorder to order to disorder again with the idea of order being a penis that ejaculates and creates a new cycle of disorder.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I had my dick art criticised today and was told that I need to make the second panel look more like a dick. This has to be the best art class. Also, I showed off the dick art book and it got a lot of positive feedback. My teacher thinks it's something that I should pursue more lol

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

App13 posted:

The kid behind me in calc breathes through his mouth, and it sounds exactly like someone rubbing one out in the bunk below you.

Why are you still sitting in front of him?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Soulex posted:

So there is this guy in ROTC in my class, and he was talking about stuff that he is going to do this weekend during drill. Qualifying and the like. As soon as I started talking about guns, my professor started wigging out and said "no gun talk in the classroom." Ok, got it. Started talking about the cool Italian jump wings that you can get, and that you can't qualify in Italy and have to go to Germany, and that even if you do get them to make copies because S1 loses that poo poo. Because they lost my Netherlands shooting badge. As soon as I said shooting, she yelled at me again. She was like "please, I just said no guns."

The gently caress? It's an award it's ok.

Please don't talk about guns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Soulex posted:

*turns desk around*

I'm not going to lie, I thought your story was going to be you moving the ROTC kid. Please don't talk about guns was better, though. How's school going now that you're all settled?

• Locked thread