Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Classical Civilization with a Minor in Ancient Greek...
:eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

My Career Manager said I have preferential hiring for government and RCMP, but I'm terrified of entering the workforce at 28 with no skills other than driving, comms and surveying.

Is it worth switching to a STEM degree?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

psydude posted:

Do you want to do STEM or work in a STEM field? Canada may be different, but with the exception of certain occupations, nobody gives a poo poo what your degree is in (especially if it's only a bachelor's). They only care that you have one and that you have work experience. So any internships you pick up along the way will be a bigger player.

I thought I had to in this economy. It was hard enough adjusting to an arts program, I was not looking forward to a meatgrinder of a program in STEM.

What kind of internships should I look out for?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

VAC put me in touch with The Prince's Charity. It's a grant or low-interest loan of up to $75k for vets to go into business. I'm an arts student and I don't know anything about business, but it seems like a good opportunity. Did anyone start a business while they were in school? Should I hold out until grad?

A publishing house that produces dick art books and polonium tees might be a good start.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Career Officer offered to fund Business School + MBA. I'd get to keep Classics & Greek as minors and could upgrade to a double major after completing Commerce degree first.

It would take longer, but does it seem generally worth it?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Is it worth devoting the time and energy to do varsity sports? I'm 25 which is pretty ancient compared to some of the kids coming out of high school school but I put in 2-3 hours of gym time a day training for Invictus. Would competing September-May be worth being schooled by 19 year old future-Olympians?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gently caress it, might as well go for it. The perks sound pretty good, and I don't have much else to do with my time. Was there a big gap in performance between the younger and older guys?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I'm doing Greek translation all semester, which is pretty chill. I was thinking of taking a lab course, what are they like?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I think the archeology labs are mostly chemistry. I haven't done any of that since high school, so I'm pretty wary but it's a pretty exciting field within the Classics dept. Someone was able to analyze residue on drinking vessels and recreate Roman wine, for example.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I met with the department people and Archaeology labs are Chem at around the 2000 level. I've stuck to the textual and language stream so I'm nervous but it'd be cool to learn some science.

I made both Track and Rowing. I think I might have built them up in my head, because tryouts weren't that bad. It turns out that the fees and commitment are the biggest hurdles. My schedule went from being mostly empty to pretty full. It's good though, I appreciate both the help here and in the fitness thread.

How is this semester starting out for everyone else?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I started wearing the Adidas track-leggings to the gym. Comfy as gently caress.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Naked Bear posted:

Hope you still have some cartilage left in your knees, 'cause you're gonna need it.

Pasta is your new best friend.

I don't. They snap crackle and pop whenever I get up from a squat. Is there anything I can do about it?

For some reason I thought it was just me.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Is this the kind of thing worth mentioning to the VA?

e: if there's an injury/disability/benefits thread I can take it there. They've been good about covering school, and I hear they're good with sudden, dramatic injuries but I never considered the hearing loss or knees because there's no one incident to point to.

ee: on a more positive note yoga butts are great, but the women's crew outfits take it to the next level.

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 14, 2016

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

You guys 430 rowing practices are a bitch. I was warned.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Soulex posted:

He rows in the rain?

I guess I'll find out tomorrow morning if the storm keeps up.

The reason is that it takes about 3 hours and the first classes are at 8:30 so it means that everyone is available. Also water is calm and there's nobody else out there.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

App13 posted:

Why does it take so long?

There's a morning brief from the coach, carrying the boats from the clubhouse to the water, a 5km warm-up, and then 20km laps, then coming back into the dock, carrying the boat up, debrief, weights and stretch.

Grem posted:

How can you see where you're going in the dark?!

You can't really, but all the boats have lights on and there's nobody else out there. The area around the river is pretty urban so you can see the lights of buildings and the roads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Kawasaki Nun posted:

How close to practices resemble what's portrayed in the College Classic "How High" Starring redman and method man?

1:1

• Locked thread