Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Getting my BA in History from CU-Boulder this may. Most of the vets I've met here are pretty cool, which is a massive departure from the people I knew and worked with while I was in.

Dating an undergrad sounds like a loving chore. Tenderly smashing one out seems about as intimate as things should get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

why

getting a job will not be easy

So I can goto law school?

If I wanted to just get a job I could've done something with my nuke training. What do you know about my job prospects? Quit harshing my high bro I gotta go snowboarding tomorrow

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 14, 2016

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

no...i have a history degree and, as much as i enjoy the topic, it was a very poor investment. the job market for people without technical degrees is bad and will only worsen.

i dont have any stake in your life so keep on keeping on. but, i know that i wouldnt get a history degree if i could do it over.

History degree was the fastest way for me to get to lawschool in terms of GI bill utilization. As it all stands I should get 2.5 years of law school w/housing benefits and GI max tuition with my remaining months and VOC rehab extension. Being a lawyer is something I've wanted to do for a long time so I guess YMMV with regards to.history degrees

shyduck posted:

All my professors and TAs this term speak the most broken English ever, it's so great, I'm glad they mandate attendance

Trying to learn calc 2 from a heavily accented indian man is what made me start looking up my profs before enrolling in classes

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 14, 2016

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

NTT posted:

I would be enjoying this 3 day weekend a lot more if there was actually something to do on campus

Why is there a 3 day weekend on the second week of spr16 jesus

What the gently caress? Why the poo poo do you want be on campus for a 3 day weekend?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Saw a ginger ROTC kid with a sheepdog patch on his assault pack w/some other stupid black on white jagged dog insignia. Made me proud to have served!

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Is that text generated by a script or something? It sounds like some sort of phishing attempt that only hopes to lure you into the Army's web of bureaucracy and retardation.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

holocaust bloopers posted:

Worst grade I've gotten in school was a C+ for American Sign Language 103. It was a mercy grade. That teacher had every right to fail me, but chose not to. She knew I had to get through her class for degree requirements.

*jerking off motion*

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

I looked into doing ASL to fill my language requirement but that septic tank of a school I was going to wouldn't allow it because reasons I no longer give an ounce of thought about.

I'll be going back to school this fall, far, far away from that miserable poo poo cistern of a university.

I'm in my third year of ASL to fulfill my colorado state language requirement. All in all it's alot easier than french or spanish. Decided to go for it when I hear the Coaches here like to funnel athletes that need language credits into it.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Jarmak posted:

So if half+7 isn't a whole year, can you round down? This is important.

Age is just like, a number dude. Don't let the mans social constructs drive your thinking, otherwise you're no better that a racist

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

You seem like my post triggered you bro

I'm totes sorry

Zeris has been using Fleek regularly in his MFA masterpiece and doesn't want the word to lose its novelty before he finishes his program. Seems to know alot about the word for someone who allegedly reviles its users

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Zeris posted:

Excuse me while I amend the OP

Please remember this student veteran lounge thread is a safe space

Triggering will not be tolerated

Wtf is wrong with that white kid? Are furries a protected class for safe spaces? They're not on the list

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

TheQuietWilds posted:

The word 'trigger' triggers me because it reminds me of all the things that have triggered me. Using it denies my personhood and devalues my experiences. Please refrain from using it.

English is the language of colonialism and oppression. In the future addresd me in Swahili or not at all, fascist.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Zeris posted:

A 22 year old vegan from Texas, living in a $2000 Manhattan studio apartment paid by parents, in my graduate writing program at an ivy league university, just tweeted:

dis wut i fought war for

Sounds like they have it made. You should Talented Mr.Ripley them and then write a novel about it

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Ckwiesr posted:

Why wouldn't you just CLEP Eng 101? I know the first try is free for active / reserves, but don't vets still get at least a discount? You only need like a 50 to pass and get credit too on most of them.

That's my plan this summer. Knocking out as many CLEPs as I can between the spring and fall semesters so I don't have to wade through bullshit classes and waste benefit months, since I'm working full time and only able to take a few classes at once.

I need the gpa boost so I never told anyone about my AP grades.

Otherwise I'd have already graduated

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

SnarkyHipster posted:

Anyone have any advice for a 28 year old enlisted Marine vet begining the MBA application process? I'm looking at applying to a top 20 or so program and I'm trying to see how I should frame my veteran (enlisted) status in the application, and which schools might throw me a bone. All of the veteran info/network for MBAs out there seems to be directed almost entirely towards the All-American WASPY Academy fighter pilot/ranger guys, and not so much the tattooed, inbred GED waiver door knob licker types. For example, I dropped by a veteran networking event at Harvard/MIT and the retired General hosting the event did the whole "all my academy guys raise their hands, all my ROTC guys raise their hands, etc. etc." and out of the 20+ people there, I was literally the only one who had to sit there with my hands in my lap; Everyone then looked at me like I was an alien when I had to explain I was enlisted.

I enlisted after high school, then went to undergrad, and have been doing software consulting for the last two years. My relatively young age and recent civilain experience almost seems to make me more of traditional MBA candidate compared to the officers and senior enlisted that seem to make up the majority of veterans in these programs, and only have Uncle Sam on their resume. Anyone been through the process or have some suggestions?

Was the advice they gave at that seminar not applicable to you? What separates you from them aside from the fact that when you were in the military you were enlisted and when they were in they were officers? If you have your undergrad degree then you're at commiserate educational levels so all that's really different is your job experience while in the military?

I think I remember some people talking about certain schools maybe setting aside slots for veteran applicants for graduate programs. I can't imagine they'd really differentiate between O and E though.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Young lady in one of my classes talked about how academic writing is elitist and exclusionary. Advocating for everyone writing in their own personal vernacular because that will make it inclusive (and retarded).

I guess maybe college is full of retards after all

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Grem posted:

A girl taking her final history course and graduating with a history degree this semester gets her essay back, an essay where the professor said multiple times in class to use Aaron Burr when discussing whatever prompt you choose for this essay. This girl chose a prompt that listed a couple of Founding Fathers but not Aaron Burr. When she got back her C paper she threw a poo poo fit because she was marked off for not using Burr anywhere in the essay and her justification was that Burr wasn't mentioned in the prompt. He wasn't in any prompt! College is full of retards, and they're all passing.

Yeah, but she went into how the vernacular is the true expression of English so utilizing dictionary meanings is unfair. This idiot was literally advocating for the wholesale adoption of individual vernaculars to be some how graded by a single person like it was a common sense approach to educating the masses. I literally thought people like that only existed on the internet.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Pesticide20 posted:

But Microsoft Word has a pretty good reference feature built in that allows you to insert citations in several styles, as well as generate a bibliography. Why pay more?

That poo poo hosed all my citations up for an MLA paper.

I mean I probably am the one who hosed it up but I don't trust it anymore.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Separate document, copy/paste to the rear end of your paper when you're done. What's difficult about that?

Citations and bibliography entries are different in MLA, neither are done correctly in Word

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Caring about what other college students say / do lowers you to their level.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

DownByTheWooter posted:

broke my 4-exam fail streak in Gen Chem tonight with a 76

maybe I won't have to drop out to drink 40's under a bridge after all

The GI bill will pay for tutoring if you get a form from the Veterans affairs office. 100$/month up to 1000 total. I know there are tutoring services at CU that guarantee a B in the class or your money back or something so it might be win/win

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
writing perhaps the worst paper of my academic career. In the absence of substance I've taken to sprinkling it with social justice language. Results to follow

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Just got an email about writing an honors thesis. Unfortunately Im a second semester senior so the idea of sticking around for another half year and burning up bennies doesn't really seem to appealing. My second email was about getting a paper I wrote about the foundation of the state of Israel published in the undergrad history journal. Not really sure I want my name on something as controversial and as aggressively pursued as Israeli statehood.

Anyone know poo poo about either of these types of processes? I'm doing LSAT prep stuff for lawschool now, and don't really have much interest at all in academia. I think getting a paper published would probably be a nice little bullet point on my application but not something that would make a whole lot of difference. Conversely writing about potential war crimes being committed in the 1940s with my name attached to it seems like something I might not necessarily want.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

App13 posted:

The hotel only had Dasani water, which he will not drink because of the "mouthfeel" and he was very worried about dehydration, and didn't get why no one else was worried about him.

Inshallah Cocacola co. Claims another american life

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

App13 posted:

I guess I got caught up in drama after sleeping with one of the 19 year olds in my department while at a conference.

Pro-tip: don't sleep with 19 year olds in your own department.

Also helps to not care about school drama

You took advantage of that poor, lost girl, didn't you?

Bravo Zulu

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
sooo diamond joe is speaking at my school this week, but the topic is preventing sexual assault. I'm 50/50 about going

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mike-o posted:

Holy god drat gently caress the kids in my pre-algebra class are a bunch of morons. Not "I don't get this I need help" way but a " I DONT GET IT WHY ARENT YOU DOING IT THIS CONVOLUTED DUMB WAY THAT IM DOING????? THIS IS STUPID DURRRRR"

Jfc shut the gently caress up about how you're an idiot and maybe try to understand the basic god drat child level concepts the professor is trying to teach you? Also there's like 4 other vets in my class and they're the loudest and most retarded out of anyone.

gently caress me I can't wait for higher level classes.
:shepicide:

Fun fact: there will be idiots like this in literally every class you take. They'll be a lot less mouthy as things get tougher, but they'll still be around. I've found just focusing on forming some sort of rapport with my professors and ignoring my classmates as Mich as possible has been a pretty good policy, particularly with regard to getting slack when necessary. Try not to focus too much on the next generation of enlisted fodder

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

App13 posted:

If I'm in vocrehab is there any reason I should NOT take one course this summer? I'd like to catch up a little bit, but I don't want to burn benefits or something

depends on how your summer session full time calculations work.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

at the date posted:

Something about this seems unethical.

Don't hold yourself to a higher standard than Haliburton IMO

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

at the date posted:

It has to stop somewhere. The same shitbag who crows about scamming the government now because "Halliburton does it" will still be doing it in twenty years when he's working for Halliburton.

lol I don't think the grassroots approach to waste fraud & abuse is really the way to go but have at it. I'm not advocating for wholesale scamming, but if the program just establishes an account with the bookstore with no upper limit then that's what the Feds want.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

at the date posted:

lol silly me I guess

Do people really believe this? Like, I can see line between ethical/unethical being "arguable" but at least most people agree that the line (A) exists, and (B) falls somewhere short of bragging about how you got away with bilking VR&E in exactly the same way that corrupt contractors do. Don't mean to get all judgmental or nothin'. I can't get worked up about petty fraud committed by pissants (I don't care one bit about drug tests for welfare recipients, for example). What really gets me is going to the Internet for validation.

There isn't a well defined ethical code for vet attending school on VOC Rehab that I'm aware of. If the program is designed in such a way that you are able to purchase 45$ pencils without an upper limit then outside of purchasing items strictly for resale it would seem you're OK. There is a pretty distinct difference between purchasing an expensive item to be used for your schooling and overcharging the government for an item that you purchased or manufactured for significantly less than you charged.

What is it that you think is the appropriate course of action in this scenario?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

at the date posted:

What do you think actually happens when a contractor overcharges the government? It's not just one guy applying a x10 multiplier to a spreadsheet column. In at least one place in the supply chain, there is a gigantic markup, but there's nothing to say that that markup occurs at the very end, at the point where the contractor bills the government. All the way along, there are unscrupulous or apathetic underlings who contribute to loving over everybody else who relies on the system. They either (A) have a huge budget, so they don't care about saving money or (B) know that the end of the supply chain has a huge budget, so they gouge prices.

All it takes is some nosy congressman grubbing for every cent he can redirect to the F-35 program in his home district to point out "hey, look at these $45 pencils! Here's a place where we can save the taxpayer money!" This happens time and time again. Frankly, I don't get it. You arent' selling the (theoretical) overpriced pencil, so you aren't getting rich off VR&E. All you get is a $4 pencil that somebody else overpaid for by 1000%. But you buy it anyway, transferring money from a great program for veterans to whom? Why?

(This is all assuming that the pencils are actually priced at $45, and he isn't pocketing any money, although that would make way more sense.)

You aren't less liable for perpetrating waste and abuse just because you don't personally benefit from it.

e:

You can get a kickass drafting pencil for $5.

Those are fair points. Doesn't Voc Rehab involve meeting with a councilor fairly regularly about what you're doing and what you need to meet your employment goals? I would think they would also monitor your purchases that are funded through the program, and would be empowered to limit any sort of extravagant spending that's without purpose. This is conjecture on my part from what I understand of the program but in my opinion anything they approve for your spending is fair game. :shrug:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

at the date posted:

That's just offloading integrity onto the guy who's supposed to be in charge, which is just so goddamn typical of the military. I hope everybody enjoyed their SHARP briefings, this is how we got them.

I offloaded all my integrity when I got discharged.

My point however was that there are various levels of budgetary monitoring and approval specifically to prevent the kind of scenario you dreamed up from occurring.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 10, 2016

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Booblord Zagats posted:

I remember when people started getting mad about this and my dad then explained it to me, since he was one of ASPO's liaison's to NASA.

"They had to invent a hammer that wouldn't spark when you hit it against something in an oxygen rich environment 40 miles about the planet, but still was heavy enough to get the job done. Between scientists planning, engineers designing and some guy in Houston actually building it, $500 is a drat bargain"

Your dad was obviously a war profiteer

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Less than a month left :pcgaming:

Yeah I finish in may and am coming to the realization that the funbux ride is coming to an end until I start law school in 2017. Time to see what kind of job I can get with this sweet history degree!

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Admiral Bosch posted:

One month to go til I get my computer integrated machining cert, and I peace the gently caress out of this town. God willing I will get the position I'm eyeing, and if not, I'll find something else.

There are no butts to stare at in the machine shop. :smith:

Just machine some and embrace the new normal of the future

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Zeris posted:

What do ya'll use for dental insurance

The dental school at my college does free basic dental work for veteran students, apparently it's not all that rare of a practice

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
mmm April snowstorm, time to say gently caress school!!!

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

elite_garbage_man posted:

They're usually pretty helpful so long as you have a good idea of what job field you want to get into. the people that tend to get denied are people with no loving clue about what they want to be doing for a living, so they decide not to waste money on them. All of my friends who have applied got it, and most even get extensions to go onto grad school or whatever certification even though their 48 months are up. Hell, I even got the regular vocrehab and I have the bare minimum rating to qualify.

oh and don't be an rear end in a top hat to your rep.

Oh poo poo, I didn't realize they would potentially extend your benefits if you went over 48 months, that's very good to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

please make me explain why i quit a job at DQ 16 years ago in detail

I'll tell them my mothers maiden name and the thought process behind my banking passwords if they'll pay for a year and a half of law school and buy me some professional wardrobe

• Locked thread