Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
I started my first Cisco Networking Academy class today.

Gonna try my hand at this IT poo poo I guess.

:smithcloud:

I loving despise school. Mostly because I hate millennials.

3 of my 5 classes I signed up for are retarded bullshit, but this one Cisco class is something to get excited for. They cancelled another class I signed up for and was super excited about- Soldering. Class ends with a certificate that the local utility company will apparently hire you up for. There's apparently a permanent shortage of qualified people to do soldering iron work.

So why is the class cancelled?
Only loving 4 people signed up for it.

:argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
It's an entire generation of Kids I just want to bully and mock...

#YOLO
#SMDFTB
#TRUMP16
#JFCMSB

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

when historians 100 years from now are trying to figure out why the world plunged back into the dark ages and we have to rely on lamp oil and candles and poo poo to read our handwritten books and people are being killed over the dwindling supply of working circuit boards, theyre going to mark this as the beginning of our decline

I'd sign up for your newsletter to get left under my windshield wipers any goddamn day KFF. You get it.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
If you know how to fix HVAC systems you'll never not have work available.

All bullshit aside I wish I had a trade or skill that didn't involve operating a sensor ball or making PowerPoint briefings. Or briefing.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Send him back an envelope with flour and baking soda in it and a letter saying:

Bruce Edward "Tylenol PM" Ivins posted:

THIS IS NEXT
TAKE PENACILIN [sic] NOW
DEATH TO AMERICA
DEATH TO ISRAEL
ALLAH IS GREAT

Bet they'd promote you to O-4 for showing initiative.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
P.S. FBI in case the Tylenol PM joke didn't make it through, I'm making funnies.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Kazinsal posted:

Yo, Shim, what are you taking with Cisco Netacad? I've done a bunch of poo poo on there at college. Sometimes it's a bit dry and there tends to be a lot of product placement but I guess it's to be expected considering their goal is to train you with their products so you can write their certifications and pimp their poo poo to your bosses etc.

Also soldering is seriously something that needs to be taught more. Super handy skill in IT, definitely worth learning.

I'm in the first of the 4 CC classes that end in being eligible to test for CCENT after the first 2 and CCNA after the last two.

And it's been a bit of a steeper learning curve than I'd have imagined. But I was Intel not IT in the military. :yayclod:

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
The Cisco class is.. More or less the least intuitive class I've ever taken. But I'm not failing it at all, low 90's grade % wise.. I'm riding the train from Cisco I to Cisco IV and going for my CCENT and then CCNA and CCNA Security after II and IV and Security respectively. It's what I'm doing while working my way up from more remedial dummy math through hopefully to Calc II. If I can do that I can get into a pretty nice math heavy B.S. program at the local "good" school. If I'm doing Calc II to transfer into this other program I'm also taking the A.S degree in math because.. Why not? No extra courses needed. I know associates degrees don't mean much but whatever.

I'm hoping to get an A.A.S. In Networking and an A.S. In Mathmatics- getting my CCENT/CCNA/CCNA Security at the appropriate points- then I'm going after a B.S. in cyber security and digital forensics from the "good college". Cert paths from this program are CEH/OSCP and CISSP.

So I'm hoping to have a strong networking background going into a very programming heavy bachelors program.

And I'm looking to get relevant and desirable certifications along the way. I'm going into the Job market way older, so I'm trying to maximize my employability.

When I'm done with this first year of school I'll start trying for internships in IT. I'm not sure how to even begin this but I live in a largish southern city- the opportunities should be out there.

Also decided to do summer classes and be fully time year round. Because why not. :v:

Jesus loving Christ I'm hoping this isn't a retarded waste of bennies, and that these supposedly high paying high demand IT jobs exist when I'm done.

I have my doubts.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

McNally posted:

I'm thinking about going back to school this fall and I'll be living with my parents and pulling that GI Bill money.

I mean, the BAH in this area is poo poo but it's better than nothing.

Are you honestly in a good enough way to add school to your plate?

Something to honestly consider. School is always gonna be there, take your time. Grief stuff is a real doozy.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Google her name, find out who her supervisor is, spend an hour politely reaming that person's rear end.

Or if you really feel like being a dick, call your congressman. Because if she has not submitted your bah, she probably never paid the school either. So yeah, have fun when you get dropped.

Remember when that happened to me? I do. :smith:

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Don't ever cuss at the teachers, kids. That's the magic line you cross and auto lose your argument and somehow security gets called.

Just don't cuss AT them. Even if they're red in the face frothing screaming at you. The first to cuss, loses.

Ask me how I know.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
"Kiss my rear end" in response to a froathingly apoplectic instructor who was losing it because nobody (other than me) had done any of the assigned work.

So yeah, she can kiss my rear end. I'm standing by it- their hug box can go gently caress itself if some alpha oval office is allowed to get Full Metal Jacket PG style on me I'm gonna tell that fellow grown rear end adult to kiss my rear end.

She's (more accurately I am) lucky I didn't give her the old "suck my dick from the back" but then I'd probably be arrested and on a registry by now all things considered.

gently caress people who think they can just get in my face and yell at me. I mean what the gently caress.

I'm not cut out for this brand of college poo poo and it's so painfully obvious.

I was good at two things. Being enlisted and doing Intel sperg poo poo. I'm very bad at being a undergrad, or a student for that matter.

I can't quit college to go enlist because I already loving retired.

Just gonna finish this out hating it the whole way. Kinda like an enlistment.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
It can be if you don't qualify for post 9/11 BAH. If you don't qualify for the post 9/11 they provide a much more modest housing stipend. Google for the charts, but very few, if any, people here will meet the criteria to even care.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Just don't ever piss off your VR&E counselor.

I have the same one Literally Shaking had and I pissed in her Cheerios on day one, and didn't get to start school for like a year and a half.

If your a legit crazy vet be ready to have to show medication and therapy compliance if you give them any reason to do so. Like going off on the VA people or whatever.

Be on your meds and best behavior when dealing with VR&E, folks. :tipshat:

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

dont shimshame in here this is a safe space

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

App13 posted:

I smoke a lot of weed and have a Hebrew complex

Fixed for me.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
For a good chunk of our history the only medal the United States had to award was the Medal Of Honor. So people got MoH's for poo poo like Lincolns funeral detail.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
There's a better than even chance my best weed connect is gonna turn out to be a didler or date rapist. Both.:nutshot:

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
The closest regional office to me is four hours away but they have smaller offices in my town that I go to. Don't read too far into to boilerplate letters and guides and poo poo. If your in a college town with a few schools there will be a VR&E counselor in town. If not the nearest college town will have one. I'd be.. Not surprised but kind of surprised if you had to drive 6 hours.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
I think I want to learn CAD/CAM and CNC machining stuff. I really hate school and would love to get training in a field that pays well. But I know no one in that industry and have 0 experience.

Still would rather that than a Business Management Information Systems degree. Companies aren't gonna hire my old rear end for entry level jobs and they sure aren't gonna hire me for higher up jobs with no experience and being old.

I'm told there's a severe shortage of qualified CNC guys and dudes doing CAD/CAM though and my age wouldn't be nearly as big an issue as it would be in the white collar world.

I'm not smart enough to be an engineer but machinist seems within reach. I can learn trig.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Changed over to studying CAD/CAM and CNC machining type poo poo. Algebra and Trig 1 and 2 only for math so I'm happy.

The Cisco stuff was just not my cup of tea. At least not right now.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Does anyone know how VR&E benefit months are used? If I went half-time do I burn benefits at 1/2 the rate? Not GI Bill, specifically VR&E.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Voc Rehab covers everything.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
If you ask for it and can demonstrate an absolute need for something VR&E will pay for it.

It's not honestly that hard. My counselor gave me laptop and backpack just for starting college. If I need a high end computer to do any stuff she said she can get me one, but I'd need to show a need. I.E. Lots of AutoCAD work.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
I've been sweating it bad but University of Phoenix accepted me into one of their internationally recognized undergraduate program. I'm gonna be a Phoenix!

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
What does their national security degree program got to joke about?

National security is serious business.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 7, 2016

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
#IAMAPhoenix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Not true of VR&E, FYI. If you go half time you burn half time of your bennies. At least that's what my counselor tells me. Pretty sure it still burns your post 9/11 like described above. But you shouldn't use Post 9/11 if you can get VR&E IMHO.

• Locked thread