Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
what kind of luck have had people getting their VMET, ATARRS or whatever they call the military transcripts transferred into credits?

Mine lists some MOSs that I was just slotted in with no actual training, mostly commo poo poo with a lot of recommendations for computer poo poo. Considering I'm going to pursue a CS degree I think, that could be pretty helpful?

probably going to knock out my lower level courses at a community college then transfer to a state uni.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
OK, I wasn't holding my breath for anything great, because I would probably laugh at someones military transcripts if it was my job.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
well, regardless of the outcome of my credits, I do know that when I start school, I'm going to throw a little spice into the "wear poo poo to look like a veteran" and rock ESS goggles and maybe long sleeve army pts and pants.

The ones with the elastic cuffs on the ankles, I don't know if the new poo poo is out.

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 28, 2016

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
they are starting some aerospace program at the local college and I think boeing is getting ready to move some jobs our direction

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
were you arguing in a govt class and using your mil experience as some sort of expert opinion because if so lol

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
man my father in law is some sort of geologist/engineer and makes loving bank working with quarries and poo poo

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Ugh I need to get the ball rolling on school. I was originally going to try to go this current semester but it didn't work out. I did the application and was accepted (of course I was its a community college) but didn't follow up on anything after that. Now I'm trying to get in on fall semester. I need to schedule the placement test and get my transcripts turned in for evaluation.

I'm used to just barging into places and being really nice to get what I want so I hope that works in this case. I really don't care for phone calls and all that poo poo. Squeaky wheel gets the grease and all. Please encourage me to leave my house and interact with other humans so that I get this done, thanks guys.

Also if you have any "disabled veteran" hot tips please let me know

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
my back pocket so I can develop a cool ring from it?????????????????

There were two kids that came in trying to join once that got matching Copenhagen cans tattooed on their but cheeks together

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
well if republicans are to believed we will all be speaking spanish mexican in the next few years anyhow so just wait :shrug:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
but dude, you got a dell :thumbsup:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
so I'm retarded and a few beers in, so I don't feel like researching a bunch of VA websites, but is Voc Rehab basically for trade school or what

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I've been leaning towards computer science or something along those lines. Disability poo poo is nothing physical.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Ok so I'm playing the VA website game of clicking every link and just getting the most generic information possible regarding Voc Rehab and get poo poo like this

quote:

Eligibility and Entitlement
Services that may be provided by the VR&E Program include:

Comprehensive evaluation to determine abilities, skills, and interests for employment
Vocational counseling and rehabilitation planning for employment services
Employment services such as job-training, job-seeking skills, resume development, and other work readiness assistance
Assistance finding and keeping a job, including the use of special employer incentives and job accommodations
On the Job Training (OJT), apprenticeships, and non-paid work experiences
Post-secondary training at a college, vocational, technical or business school
Supportive rehabilitation services including case management, counseling, and medical referrals
Independent living services for Veterans unable to work due to the severity of their disabilities

which makes it sound like I basically get a lifecoach or something out of the deal. I know that I'm being really dense about this whole program,and I've had a friend that got out under similar circumstances recommend that I check it out, but a lot of the above sounds like a lot of VA fluff as I don't have a lot of faith in VA to actually do anything beneficial for me aside from cutting school a check.

I'm rated 60% from VA, I have like 33 months of GI Bill remaining (I used a semesters worth of MGIB like 8 years ago) and am looking at doing my lower tier classes at a community college, transferring to the state university (University of Idaho) while ideally working on a Computer Science type degree. What is something that I can read that breaks down the advantages of using Voc Rehab over just standard post 9/11. "Literally Shaking" you're giving good information but I guess I don't see exactly why I should be beating down doors trying to get into this.

I guess I need some sort of powerpoint slide briefing with task, conditions and standards in order to show me a comparison of what using VR over traditional gi bill.

I just read this http://www.disabledveterans.org/2010/06/25/1-unofficial-guide-to-chapter-31-voc-rehab/ which seemed useful but at the end of the day that dick wants you to pay $20 for a strategy guide so I can't take it that serious as a source of information :(

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
OK, I'll fill out the form and see what happens, worst case scenario I guess I can just resort to my original plan of not using it. I appreciate your time/post. I just have to get over my usual disgust for VA related poo poo and check it out for myself.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
to be fair to anyone thats been in the military, for profits are pushed and advertised constantly as something soldiers should do because if you don't take courses at some poo poo school then you're a bad nco or something.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Naked Bear posted:

If someone in the military is pushing you to do something that will affect your life as a civilian, you should closely examine what it is they're suggesting, because it's probably retarded.

this is a fact

psydude posted:

I'm really surprised the DoD hasn't banned for-profit universities from operating on military bases.

well, the half dozen or so times I was held captive on a training day to hear about a university it was always some retired SNCO representing the school so its obviously a kickback money sort of thing. poo poo loving pissed me off because so many people would sign the gently caress up.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Compliance with what? I mean, as far as I know I'm not under any requirements to remain medicated or anything?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
still haven't done anything to ensure that I can start school in fall.

va hasn't contacted me back about even setting and appointment for voc rehab

I hate VA and myself for both of these failings.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
The ol' tried and true "Well, against all medical advice and doctrine, we've decided to gently caress you over because my boss casually mentioned it during a brief and I am scared he wont like me so eat poo poo soldier" tactic

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 19, 2016

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
anything below silver star is garbage

edit: might have to rethink silver star after reading how it applies to pilots:

quote:

The Department of Defense does not keep extensive records of awards of the Silver Star. Independent groups estimate that between 100,000 and 150,000 Silver Stars have been awarded since the decoration was established.[9] Colonel David Hackworth is likely to be the person who has been awarded the most Silver Stars. He was awarded ten Silver Stars for service in the Korean War and the Vietnam War.[10]

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
and of course Teddy Roosevelt Jr. got a Medal of Honor because he was a 2 star and showed up on the normandy landings

gently caress all medals, gently caress all general officers

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
watched a 2LT get an AAM and try and failing to quote napoleon once. that was pretty rich.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
so either everyone here is

A)A bad driver and needs all the help they can get
B)Are in love with being a veteran and poo poo

lol

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
please elaborate on a breakdown over bottled water :)

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I am not looking forward to this aspect of college.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
man gently caress VA, no phone call, letter, email, or poo poo about Voc Rehab. What a worthless loving organization.

Edit:

Was just looking at the site and saw that eventually I'd have to attend an "orientation" at a Regional office. For real? The closest one is like 6 hours away. Yeah gently caress this.

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 22, 2016

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Grem posted:

It's a real quick intake, yea sucks you gotta go far but think of the new computer, man! btw what magic words should I tell my Voc Rehab lady to get a laptop? I use a 2008 desktop now.

for the cost of an overnight trip to seattle, both literal and my time, they can shove the $300 laptop they might agree that I need up their loving asses.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Mike-o posted:

They would make you go all the way to Seattle from Idaho? What the god drat poo poo.

The other regional office that I could possibly go to is Boise, which is an even further drive.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Just gonna do the classic "apply online every day until i hear something" because I don't even know if my first one went through at this point.

edit: gently caress, well I can only apply once.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
so finally in another two weeks I have my meeting with my Voc Rehab rep, and thank god its not in seattle :)

any cool buzzwords or anything I should stuff in this application to make them buy me things?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Soulex posted:

The thing that someone stressed to me was that you need to stress how it will assist you getting a job, not just going to college. They make you fill out some paperwork and they also want you ttho print off like 5 job listings of the job you're trying to get into to prove to them it's not a fruitless endeavor. So, it's "This training/degree will help ready me for a career in _________ due to the nature of the career field, as well as give me valuable experience to prepare myself for a smooth transition out of the military." Something like that.

I got my appointment next week on monday, and I'm pretty hopefully and scared. Hopeful because I'm getting the ball rolling and scared because apparently California is the WORST place to try to do VOCREHAB at and the instructor dude pretty much said that transferring is a huge problem bureaucratically but the wait time is lower than if I just went to Cali and tried to apply all over again.

thanks, this is helpful. Should the job offering be local to where I live? I don't really think there is much of a market for CS degrees in idaho

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Since when is selling a textbook after you used it unethical? The text book industry is a huge scam anyhow. I don't think this guy was buying them, then turning around and selling them on the VA dime just to profit? That would be hosed up, but it's not even close to the impression that I'm getting from his post.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

at the date posted:

That's not the bit I quoted. I have no problem with selling your textbooks after you're done with them.

referring more to spider-baby's post. I don't even know what a $45 pencil is.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
well my voc rehab thing is tomorrow. it says 2 hours. are you for real? what a waste of my life

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I'm already aggravated AF with this people lol it might be rough

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

DownByTheWooter posted:

How do you get signed up for that? I want that

i signed up through here, 6 weeks later I got a letter in the mail for an appointment

http://www.benefits.va.gov/vocrehab/

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

DownByTheWooter posted:

ok, cool

I already did this, but I wasn't sure if I should trust the VA when it just sends me to a screen that says, "lol we'll be in touch"

yeah thats why I'm already mad at them lol

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Grem posted:

It's a group meeting with a bunch of other vets, then you wait around for your individual meeting with your counselor, tell them you want to do college,they'll give you homework (market research) and then you wait two months for a call.

what a loving waste god drat it now I might just no show

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Vasudus posted:

If you want their benefits you have to jump through as many hoops as they decide there is. Welcome to the VA.

I already loathe the VA.......idk why I thought I'd try this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
yeah yeah i'm going. its convertible weather, so at the very least i'll get some sun and tan up some more

• Locked thread