Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I did my BS/MS in Sociology with a focus on research methodology and program evaluation. Now I am a medical researcher SME and consultant. I make good money and I really enjoy my work. Next year I'll be breaking six figures without counting bonuses or my disability goodies.

I am the only one in my graduate program that stacked as many research/statistics classes as I could, and took on research assistant positions. I am the only one in my graduate program that found real employment. I think the two are related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

psydude posted:

Internships related to whatever field you're trying to work in. Paid look better than unpaid.

Echoing this. If you don't do an internship (at least one, preferably as many as you can) then your chances of getting even an entry level STEM position is slim. Why would an employer want to hire someone without practical experience when there's hundreds of graduates fighting for one job, most of which have at least some?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

psydude posted:

Kind of a long shot, but has anybody in the guard/reserve gone through the process to convert REAP to post-9/11 GI bill?

Converting GI bills is really easy. You fill out the form online like a new application, then you check off "I understand that I will forfeit any other benefit if found eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill" and then you wait a million years for the paperwork to return. If you qualify, you're converted. If you don't, you get a nastygram with reasons why.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Most of school is figuring out the least amount of effort you need to put into things to get your desired result. Much like life, really, but most kids going into college don't know this yet.

When you get to grad school you will have to have this skill mastered, because trying to do everything is not really possible. Why yes, I would like to take 9 credit hours of classes, each with 2-3 hours of additional work per week in reading, while also being a [Teaching/Graduate/Research] assistant that consumes [5-35] hours of my week. For two years.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Things every major should be forced to take:

An economy class more advanced than Econ 101 (no "market of rational actors in a frictionless economy" poo poo)

English classes that focus on writing

A statistics course

A modern world history course (Start it in like, 1945 I guess?)

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
There's never been anything wrong with the natural sciences if you know the level of education and experience you need to do something with it, like all degrees.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Zeris posted:

Vausudus what I do with columbia MFA help

does your degree say columbia on it?

the gently caress else matters

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

i have both a BS and an MS in sociology

i am a non-clinical research SME that mostly focuses on methodology and data collection, at least when i'm working with my client

it's not a worthless degree if you work it

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Casimir Radon posted:

How much are you getting paid?

i will be breaking six figures next year when i get promoted, i currently make around 80k.

i should mention that i do other things, i'm just a research SME when i'm clientside

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Teflon Don posted:

Interesting

The overwhelming majority of my coursework in both undergrad and grad was a choose your own adventure, since the field is so broad. I went with research methods including classes involving actual research, both qualitative and quantitative, plus a healthy amount of statistics. I also jumped on any research assistant positions and got an outside short term independent contracting gig when I was a grad student doing program evaluation. Turns out that doing that makes you an excellent generalist for consulting/contracting with the big firms. I work mostly with clinical topics, but that's fine since I'm not rendering a professional opinion on them.

Unfortunately, since the field is so broad, you have loving morons doing things like gender related stuff or ~social justice~ and it gives people the general impression that it's a useless field with limited practical application.

I'm branching further out into project management now. My company basically gives you three options: you can stay where you are and they'll bleed you dry, you go into project management, or you do SME work. Project management is cool, so I'm getting my PMP and LSSGB this year, which is basically government contracting catnip.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Going to school all year is good if:

You need the money
You can take advantage of things not offered during other terms (internships++)
You have a job waiting for you

If none of these apply you should probably cool down. If you burn out and you need to give a poo poo about your GPA (either because of your field or because of grad school, or both) you might be in for some pain.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Just remember that while a crusty old professor might not scan it, they or the department might have TAs that do it. I wouldn't risk it, even for an intro class.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
please learn how to write and argue on topics you're not personally interested in

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

psydude posted:

I think that's his point: he wanted to take the easy freshman level courses for the GPA bump.

In other news, the VA sent me a letter saying that they're doing away with REAP and that basically anyone eligible for REAP is also eligible for post 9/11.

Does the VA consider 3 graduate courses as full time?

9 semester hours is full time. 6 is 75%, 3 is 50%

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Soulex posted:

I got the good news yesterday that my PEB said :getout: so I'm planning and moving forward to going to college. Applying at USD and trying to get into their arts program ending up with a BA in Visual Arts with emphasis on Video/Film and hopefully a minor in photography. Hoping I can get accepted, even though I have prior college (almost have my AA Gen Studies at Thomas Edison) they might not accept any of my credits because it's from an online school despite it being regionally accredited.

Anyone got some pointers and tips for me?

What are you planning on doing with it?

I don't mean give us a response like you're building a business plan for a loan, but somewhere between that and "stuff".

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Lmao @ fart degree

go for it

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
You need to get on your voc rehab counselor's rear end, if they're the ones responsible for not submitting paperwork. Find out who their supervisor is, too.

Basically don't expect it to get fixed on its own, you need to track down whoever dropped the ball and make them pick it up.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Justin Tyme posted:

Anyone have experience with 3-letter agency internships?

Yeah, good loving luck getting one. If you do it's a golden ticket. Better to think of them as temp-to-hire.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Dude McAwesome posted:

not trying to be a snarky bitch, but aren't MBAs (from good schools) aimed mainly at young managers aiming to be executives one day? (eg those circlejerking fuckwits who were raising their hands)

e: young in this context being late 20s-mid 30s types

Good school MBAs are also for:

anybody trying to get into a competitive consulting firm (management consulting, obvs) or any other competitive environment where having a graduate degree is necessary for starting at not-quite-lowest-level-but-still-a-cog level.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

holocaust bloopers posted:

I've been applying to entry-level up to managerial positions. The people I know at agencies are telling me to go for those higher-up jobs because of my military experience. Any of you guys have any luck bypassing entry-level with mil experience and an undergrad?

You'll have a leg up on people with nothing, but still get beaten by those with more relevant experience.

Shotgun that poo poo out to your actual level + 1.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I used ASA for my entire academic writing career, then had to use APA for work. Felt like one of those feral kids being let outside for the first time when I could actually use all those automated bib programs.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Crazy Dutchman posted:

EasyBib does APA just fine, but you have to pay for it. Easily worth the $20 a year when you are writing a lot of papers.

It does APA fine, yeah, but I used ASA for my academic career. At least at the time, there were no options because lol ASA.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
GS7 is like 54, 9 is like 65. 11 is what, high 80s and 13 is 105ish?

Most jobs are bracketed 7-9, 9-11 and 11-13.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
not getting 90s references is a deal breaker imo

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Soulex posted:

Are all for profit schools bad?

Short answer: yes

Longer answer: almost assuredly with few exceptions, such as certifications

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

That's a man who shouldn't have had to pay for another beer in his entire lifetime.

I'm pretty sure that the back of a MoH says pretty much that.

"Good for unlimited alcohol, redeemable anywhere"

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It takes time. If you're that concerned about it call your congressman. Expecting the VA to live up to any of their timelines is a recipe for anxiety.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If it's been longer than 7 weeks you should call them.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
do more internships

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Another company at my client site just replaced their gopher, who had a BS in Biology. The job is mostly setting up exhibits, manning the stock room for said exhibits and generic, menial office work. It pays roughly 17 bucks an hour, and it's non exempt. It is not a scientific job.

They got 1300 applications over 3 days, of which the majority were in grad school or actually had their graduate degrees. They auto screened out anybody that didn't have a bachelors degree and at least a year of work experience. They ended up getting someone who will have an MPH in May with four years of hospital admin work.

Do more internships.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The thing that cracks me up the most about the whole situation is that it was very, very clearly stated in the posting that this job was not a scientific one, it just said it was for a government health agency in the DoD. It had multiple lines stating that you are not a SME, etc. During the interview they also explained that, in addition to saying that it was most assuredly an hourly office monkey job, that it has literally zero upward mobility and would get a quarter an hour raise per year.

Aside from rooting out the poors, the idea was that if you had a bachelors in ~something~ that you had to take some sort of science classes, so explaining the content of the materials you're exhibiting shouldn't be that hard. That's it.

From what I was told, not a single applicant blinked at it.

dafuq

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

I think I want to learn CAD/CAM and CNC machining stuff. I really hate school and would love to get training in a field that pays well. But I know no one in that industry and have 0 experience.

Still would rather that than a Business Management Information Systems degree. Companies aren't gonna hire my old rear end for entry level jobs and they sure aren't gonna hire me for higher up jobs with no experience and being old.

I'm told there's a severe shortage of qualified CNC guys and dudes doing CAD/CAM though and my age wouldn't be nearly as big an issue as it would be in the white collar world.

I'm not smart enough to be an engineer but machinist seems within reach. I can learn trig.

I have a family member that's been a machinist for like uh, I dunno 50 years or something. He trains new guys all the time - most of them wash out because they can't 1) stay clean 2) don't have two brain cells to rub together or 3) don't want to actually learn

It's a pretty cool profession.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

at the date posted:

Don't set out to be a "CNC machinist" if you want to make any money at all. "CNC machinists" more often than not are actually "operators," which involves a lot of watching tools stir coolant and not much analytical thought. By the nature of their job, CNC operators will dwindle as the robots they are assigned to monitor get better at monitoring themselves. CAD/CAM guys are usually called something different, and those jobs too are getting assigned more to engineers as the machines get vastly more capable and complicated. In my opinion, and I am aware that some people more qualified than me would disagree, the only sustainable machining career after 2020 is in small-lot and custom work, which relies on a broad knowledge base and rewards flexibility. Even for small-lot or one-off work CNC programming and setup is an essential skill*, but that alone won't get you very far.

*There are always exceptions. Most auto shops don't use CNC anything.

e: My opinion may be faintly colored by an aesthetic bias against CNC machining, but I think I gave the question a fair shake here.

Pretty sure that's what my family friend does - he works in a small shop that does one-offs and prototypes for bigger firms. In his free time he does custom car parts. I don't know enough about the industry but it seems like he's making pretty nice cash, as are the apprentices he trains.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Mike-o posted:

First day back to college, man this poo poo is gonna be weird.

One of the things I had the most difficulty with at first was just how little was actually expected of me, in intro classes. My idiot lizard brain had a hell of a hard time understanding that I just had to show up for 3 whole hours in a week and maybe do two or three pages of reading. Like really, that's it? This is the super hard college life that everyone in the military said was so loving hard?

Then you see people who can't do it somehow.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
most but not all big kid interviews don't ask those questions at least

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Any job posting should do.

Also re: offer chat. Treat each offer as if they're in a bubble, and do a cost/benefit for each of them. You might get a better offer elsewhere, sure, but is that better than the offer you have right in front of you?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Most of the time it's a coping mechanism for dudes that aren't ready to fully transition into the student/civilian life. It lets them talk about the one thing in their lives that they're even moderately proud and knowledgable about with people that are in the same boat.

Some dudes are super weird about it though.

Source: I worked at one of these places for 4 years + did my graduate thesis on it

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Soulex posted:

Just sent USD my transcripts. I'm also super close to getting my AA Gen Studies from Thomas Edison State University.

Stoked. All classes are signed up for, and I'm gonna be out $250 to make up what the TA can't pay.

Also, why the gently caress is it so expensive to be like "Hey, let me graduate" and they're like "give us $300 first"?

It's because TESU isn't really a legit school, probably. They're like a hair away from being UoP. Fortunately if you get a school to accept the transcripts then it doesn't really matter.

Real schools don't charge you to graduate, FYI. That's baked in to the cost of attendance (note that graduating and going to graduation are different things, you're on the hook for the latter)

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Kiryen posted:

Looks like I'm going to be starting a Master's in Computer Science in September or so.

I'm terrified. I was a terrible student in high school and college.

School is one of those things that gets easier the older you are, to a point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

The Rat posted:

Here's a dumb GI bill issue for Vasudus, etc.

This coming fall is my last semester of college. My Post 9/11 GI bill should be exhausted by the end of it, as far as I'm tracking. However, I only need 9 credits to finish. Down side is they're all hard courses (capstone, govt accounting, tax accounting), and staying at only 9 credits would mean I wouldn't get full GI Bill benefits. I'll also still be working an internship at the time.

My current options are:

A) Do the necessary school paperwork to make the internship count as 3 credits rather than getting paid, thus bumping me up to full time status. (The internship currently pays $12/hr and I'm getting about $250 every two weeks for the amount of work that I can fit around my class schedule)
B) Take some easy elective to round out 12 credits.
C) Just take the 9 credits and take the part time hit on the GI Bill.

If I only take part time GI Bill next semester, will that exhaust it completely, or will there still be some funds left in case I later want to take more classes?

Option B. You can't split your Post 9/11 time like you used to with MGIB, if you collect BAH it burns time at the full rate (gently caress you, 3/4 timers)

edit: if you have one day of time left it will cover a whole semester's costs

• Locked thread