Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Zeris posted:

-I'm starting to suspect I never get Tinder matches because I'm above the default age range

What age is this? I never tried Tinder, just assumed I was too old.

Nobody at school has ever asked me if I have PTSD or if I ever killed anyone.

11 years is my biggest undergrad smash-gap.

edit: BFA ~film~ and BS Criminal Justice. Never gonna graduate because school is fun and free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

GIP's STEM press-shamers will never pass up an opportunity to remind you how challenging the job market can be for a literate white man with a college degree and veteran points.

Enlisting somehow didn't earn your father's love and respect but earning a bigger salary than he does totally will. We get it guys. Chill.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

go3 posted:

if youre going to enlist and then get a worthless degree just go for the bad choices trifecta and marry someone you knocked up

I enjoyed my four year enlistment. I'm enjoying my college experience. I enjoy my job. I think I'll enjoy the careers a worthless college degree will open up for me because my education and my employment are exposing me to them. This is how I choose what to pursue.

You guys are so goddamn traumatized by your enlistments. Sorry your recruiter lied to you. Sorry you didn't get to slay the admin dragon or the air wing lava monster or whatever half-assed military experience you signed up for. Sorry you need redemption by denying yourself any kind of introspection and just shooting for the biggest projected paycheck regardless of how you actually feel about the work you'll be doing.

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

no...i have a history degree and, as much as i enjoy the topic, it was a very poor investment. the job market for people without technical degrees is bad and will only worsen.

i dont have any stake in your life so keep on keeping on. but, i know that i wouldnt get a history degree if i could do it over.

Got any examples of "any-worthless-degree-will-do" type jobs that you would be willing to do but are unable to get into?
Because if you're just unwilling to do a job that only required a high school diploma a decade or two ago then we're not talking about the same thing.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

im calling shenanigans on this one

If the alternative is saving up the same amount of money for college (+BAH +Books +paid grad school) by cleaning public restrooms (my previous occupation), I'll take two pumps and THE TITLE everytime.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

at the date posted:

I try to keep my social life a complete mystery. All dates are off-campus and with people outside of my regular circle of friends. It's already a little awkward being 3-4 years older than everybody else—the last thing I need is some loving relationship drama at a small, fairly conservative college.

source your quotes

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Pesticide20 posted:

Just discovered the veterans lounge at my school. The drat thing is hidden away in a corner of the cafeteria, so it took me a couple weeks to find, but drat is it great. The couch I'm currently sitting on is one of those super comfy nap couches, there's coffee and snacks, and the other people in here are pretty chill and just working on schoolwork. Nobody cared when I came in and I'm sure nobody will care when I leave. This place is a little slice of paradise for me to relax in during my break between classes.

I just walk back to my apartment if i have a long break between classes.

The snacks aren't free but the walking keeps me skinny less loving fat.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Pesticide20 posted:

I'd go home but it's a fifteen minute drive since I'm just doing community college for the time being. I use my break to study for my art history class (:argh: loving credit requirements) or do homework so that I can spend my time at home playing with my dogs or hanging out with my girlfriend

Why are you wasting time knocking out general degree requirements at a Community College? Big boy school will have more fun bullshit options like FILM and BUTT-STARING (yoga/meditation).

Community college is for remedial Math and English.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Pesticide20 posted:

I went to school and dropped out before I enlisted. Big boy schools didn't want me because of my holy poo poo godawful GPA.

Same. I dropped out twice. I had zero credits and 5 or 6 F's on my record.

I'm glad I took hard classes (for me: all Math and Science requirements) at community college and saved the fun stuff for later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Pesticide20 posted:

Holy poo poo I am struggling to care about my modern art history class, especially since the teacher basically reads from the book and rambles on in class. Any suggestions for learning about it in a way that isn't super boring?

You might not get the full experience at a community college but Art History offers up some great opportunities for social justice theater once you get into the colonial period.

If you didn't want white people to steal your poo poo maybe you should've invented a navy instead of ~ceremonial~ halloween masks, am I right?

• Locked thread