Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

So if half+7 isn't a whole year, can you round down? This is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Someone said it earlier. If you're just loving and running, who cares?

The creepiness factor really shouldn't be concern unless you're trying to nail that poo poo down and she has to introduce you to her parents that are your age (or if you're Greenmeat, younger than you).

This is pretty much my thoughts on the matter, I was just joking cause I've turned 29 now so 21 is no longer technically half+7.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Didn't I tell you about the engineers at my school? And that's Yeehaw State University, so it's a low bar.

I'm a weird sophomore but freshman so I'm taking
College algebra (wanted to start fresh with math)
Technical writing
Intro to Mechanical Engineering
Human Communication (required)
World Lit 1600's and up

Algebra and Intro to ME are on campus, the rest are online.

We have the same thing at my school only they pretty it up by calling it "Business communications for engineers", instead of "how to live with Aspergers"

Not sure how you crazy fucks can handle 19 credits and such, I can barely handle 13

-Fundamentals of Electronics
+Lab
-Differential Equations and Linear Algebra
-Embedded Design and Robotics
+Lab

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

holocaust bloopers posted:

Do something with remote sensing. A. The work is cool and B. You'll make cool maps

This is kind of what I want to do, only I'm coming at it from the Electrical Engineering direction

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

Also decided to do summer classes and be fully time year round. Because why not. :v:

I did this and now I'm burned out as gently caress two years in.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I need the gpa boost so I never told anyone about my AP grades.

Otherwise I'd have already graduated

So I'm guessing no one ever told you that transfer credit doesn't bring the grade in or count toward your GPA? Only classes you take at that institution count toward your GPA.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

psydude posted:

I think that's his point: he wanted to take the easy freshman level courses for the GPA bump.

In other news, the VA sent me a letter saying that they're doing away with REAP and that basically anyone eligible for REAP is also eligible for post 9/11.

Does the VA consider 3 graduate courses as full time?

Ahhh I totally misinterpreted that as he didn't want his bad AP grades running his GPA.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

So someone rewrote some 16th century treatise on the burden of nobility in modern language as a joke right?

Right?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

You guys are cute with your formatting arguments.

I pretty much just have to make sure my lab reports are in the same color of crayon.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Zeris posted:

Hi,

I come from the Land of Learning the Hard Way to tell you all that dating undergrads is always a bad idea, no matter how hot she is and no matter how unique the situation seems. Learn the hard way if you like, but don't say you weren't told.

The dating part was the mistake here

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

elite_garbage_man posted:

I'm pretty sure me calling a teacher a dumb loving bitch to her face is a good example of not giving any fucks

No that sounds like giving a lot of fucks

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I remember looking into Voc Rehab and it being worse for me then Post-9/11 /w Yellow Ribbon, I wish I could remember which specific benefit it was that I wouldn't have though. I'm pretty sure it was one big thing because I was all set to do it then went "lol nope"

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

App13 posted:

The kid who sleeps all the time in calc just woke up and started asking "deep and complex" questions that were all answered during the first week of class.

"But WHY is d/dx [c] always 0? What is the importance of 0? I'm sorry if that's too deep a question."

Well because it's a horizontal line and that's what the slope is. Which is why the professor drew a graph with a horizontal line on it.

I remember back when I was struggling to comprehend calc I, those were such innocent days: before the dark times, before differential equations.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Teflon Don posted:

If you have veteran license plates or stickers you're moto and dumb

I'm not going to pay extra money to get non vet license plates.

Not to mention giving up on the high resistance to speeding and parking tickets.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Booblord Zagats posted:

Why the gently caress are you guys dealing with cops so often you need poo poo to hedge the bet?

eh, dealing with cops once every couple of years is worth hedging your bets if you ask me, though I don't drive nearly as fast as I used to anymore. That said living in Boston it's super nice to have an extra hedge when it comes to parking tickets for those times when you mis-judge how many coins to feed the meter.

One time they put up "no parking sidewalk repair" sign after I had already parked the car and I didn't drive for a couple days so I never noticed. Some construction dude was pounding on my door at like 7am trying to find out if I knew who owned the car because they really didn't want the cops to tow it, that alone was worth the scarlet letter if you ask me.

I should probably mention I have purple heart plates though, so they are both forever free and extra good at getting away with poo poo, YMMV.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

You bet your rear end disabled vet tags exist. And handicapped vet plates, if your inevitable VA rating is less than 100%. In California, maybe? Can't see why they wouldn't. I don't know how it is elsewhere, buy in Tennessee, disabled vet tags don't need windshield placards for old man rockstar parking, but handicapped still do.

Also, disabled vet plates here are permanent and only require change of registration when you move. Handicapped vet tags still require yearly renewal.

In MA the disabled vet tags are based on the civilian standard for handicap plates not your VA rating, not sure how it works in other states.

(Basically if you meet handicap criteria and are a vet you get disabled vet plates)

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I don't know I've traveled a couple times with the paintball team and it's always involved me sitting in the back of a van for 6 hours while drinking whiskey out of a flask and getting high as balls cause they keep passing blunts around.

Then getting there and drinking with the coaches all night while they ask me how I'm going to manage to play inn the morning.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

Sounds like a military trip without the inevitable sexual assault.

Uhh... we are talking about college kids right?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Grem posted:

gently caress millennials

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I feel like the only vet that likes/gets along with their much younger classmates.

I think it's because engineer culture is also built on the glorification of shared suffering.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

DownByTheWooter posted:

Lab 8: Metal Cations

Using NH3, HNO3, NaOH, NaCl, and Na2SO4, I have to devise a scheme to separate out Al3+, Fe3+, Ni2+, and Ag+ from a randomly assigned test solution. Maybe all of them, maybe only one are in the test solution. For several reactions, I have to determine through the K values whether the ions are forming complexes or doing nothing at all.

gently caress. This. Lab.

Man I'm so happy my chemistry requirement didn't include a lab, for some reason this has led me to decide to take a chem-heavy elective over the coming summer.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

DownByTheWooter posted:

The 1 credit lab often requires me to put in 3-4 hours a week on homework. I'm looking forward to it being over, but here it was a mandatory co-req for both Gen Chem 1 and 2.

This lab is in 3 parts, so it's meant to be like a capstone or practical exam. Last week, we got assigned our ions and did some tests to make observations about what will form precipitates and what will dissolve them, basic/acidic solution etc. Tomorrow, I have to run my scheme to see if it works. Some students got assigned Copper 2+ and Aluminum 3+ together (you got assigned 3-4 at random), which basically behave identically for most of the tests, resulting in a full page of ridiculous solubility equilibria equation jiujitsu and pH management to make their scheme work.

What I'm trying to say here is to study History

Only had to do gen chem 1, though I've decided to subject myself to "advanced electronic materials" which sounds like it's going to be "the chemistry of all that poo poo you use in your EE classes".

I hate chem but I find it really interesting... it's like an abusive relationship

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I've had the opposite experience: I'm an officer with our vet's group and my social life revolves mostly around it.

We don't have biker dudes sporting CIBs though, wearing military poo poo is generally a fast track to having everyone make fun of you, culture is closer to this forum then anything else. When we're not making a permanent presence at the local college bar we mostly just do a bunch of charity poo poo and get drunk during/after while also convincing the school that networking is a good reason to pay for an open bar once a month (in fairness, it actually is).

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I had a similar experience at my college. For about a year, I was actively involved in the school's vet group. My goal was to drop all of the dumb military bullshit that excludes everyone and is off putting to some vets. That tactic worked: membership went up and the school administration became incredibly favorable to us.

There were vets who complained about us killing all of the vestigial military stuff like the jargon or oorah kill browns poo poo. But whatever. Any time I was asked about it, my response was, "you left the military right? So leave it in the past and move on."

We all don't, or will ever, forget our time in. Some of it was actually loving cool! But don't let the service be the one thing that defines you.

This, our group is focused on helping our student vets succeed, doing charity stuff to help vets in the community that aren't having as easy of a time as us, and having a social group of people who are closer to our age.

The school has been pretty completely sold on the idea that being a major veteran friendly school is really good for them as well so we've had a lot of success.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

My goal was to repurpose the group from war stories to helping guys get in front of recruiters.

A free coffee or catered lunch doesn't pay rent.

Depends on who's doing the catering

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I have to commute like 30 minutes out of the city to go home do I pretty much base out of either the vet lounge or the nearby bar. poo poo is indispensable.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm graduating from law school on sunday.

Condolences

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Mike-o posted:

of course it is. i don't kow what I and A+ or A and + are, and I still barely understand what queer is but you know what? i don't loving care.

The I is intersex and the A is asexual, which are both legit things... though I don't really understand why they belong in that acronym.

"+" I'm pretty sure is the umbrella under which all the special snowflakes from tumblr get lumped

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Deathy McDeath posted:

I miss those days :(
Nowadays, I have to hustle hard just to get an A-. If I get an actual A, it's through sheer luck.

I remember when showing up and just doing all the work meant an A, then I switched to engineering and my 4.0 is down to a 2.9

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

It might be because I go to a private school that's a little harder to get into (so it weeds out a lot of the idiots), but I haven't had bad experiences with vets on campus. Our student vet culture probably resembles this subforum more then anything, and most if our vets are doing legit cool stuff.

It could also be that since I'm heavily involved in the student veterans organization that I'm mostly exposed to the most motivated guys too. Either way my experiences with vets on campus has been stuff like amputees with a grant to develop new prosthetics and business majors setting up really sweetheart arrangements for vets with local big finance firms.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

-guy turning to internet message board for suggestions for handling social situations

this response needs more love

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

Not true of VR&E, FYI. If you go half time you burn half time of your bennies. At least that's what my counselor tells me. Pretty sure it still burns your post 9/11 like described above. But you shouldn't use Post 9/11 if you can get VR&E IMHO.

It doesn't, I dropped to 2/3 time last summer for a semester and burned at 2/3 rate (post 9/11)

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Kawasaki Nun posted:

You sure about that? I dropped a class a while back and was told I needed to pay cash, received less housing bennies because I was below full time, and as far as I can tell I didn't get credited back %25 of my days for that semester

yup, and I just looked it up in the text of the GI bill itself to confirm:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/38/3313

edit:

The Post 9/11 GI Bill posted:

(4)Monthly payments.—For each month (as determined pursuant to the methods prescribed under subsection (d)(3)) for which amounts are paid an individual under this subsection, the entitlement of the individual to educational assistance under this chapter shall be charged at a percentage of a month equal to—
(A) the number of course hours borne by the individual in pursuit of the program of education involved, divided by
(B) the number of course hours for full-time pursuit of such program of education.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Micro and A&P 1 in the same semester, about to loving ruin my 3.5. :getin:

Yeah that death spiral started for me when I had circuits & signals and differential equations/linear algebra and physics II all in the same semester.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

KetTarma posted:

Well there's your problem: You should've taken physics 2 at the same time as analog circuits.

Circuits & Signals was probably the same thing as you're calling analog circuits.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

I've got thanksgiving week to learn multivariable calc. Its a class where the only grade that counts is the final and after two weeks I couldn't stand the professor or the fact that it was a m/w/f 50 minute class that meant I had to drive the half an hour to school and then back.

Hello me,

Only I'm more of the "need to ace the last couple quizzes to rescue my grade" variety.

At least multivariable calc isn't that bad, unlike differential equations where if I missed a class I wouldn't have a clue wtf was going on calc is somewhat intuitive.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

Anybody have experiences trying to get a mortgage on GI bill money? I'm moving again soon and the rent costs in the area are absurdly inflated when I could just buy a house.

I managed to get my loan officer to role my education benefits in to my disability benefits as generic "VA benefits" whilst being fully honest with them about what they were.

Though YMMV because they weren't scrutinizing my income that hard cause my wife's was plenty for the mortgage, mine was just nudging the interest rate matrix.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

App13 posted:

Treat her like a peer and an equal and have a great date. If it works out and you two are on the same mental plane, excellent. If not just bang her like 3-4 times and move on. If you cant bed her then just crank one off while thinking about how your life is half over and then look at motorcycles

Stop describing my Friday nights

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

I'm 24 hours away from likely failing my multi-variable calculus final, and the final is the only grade for the entire class. Professor has a history of curving so hard that even a 40% is an A, but I doubt i'm going to get that.

Now what bugs me is I cannot for the life of me muster the motivation to attempt to study any more this weekend. I feel now why adderall is so popular.

Little under 48 myself, I feel like I understand everything well enough but gently caress me if every time I start to do a problem I can't seem to properly visualize the 3d space enough to figure out things like bounds of integration, order, or if I can close it and use a shortcut.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Late but I finally paid off my spring tuition in cash with my deployment funds.

Feels good man. :frog:

took me like 3 times before I read that as something other than "rectal attendance"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Even if they don't live on the same mental plane vacationing down the the 21 year old mental plane is fun.

• Locked thread