Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

Ckwiesr posted:

Day three of into to programming, and the teacher asks us if everyone downloaded calico and Python. This 18 year old kid raises his hand, and said he tried googling it, but was only getting pictures of snakes. I loving wish he was joking, but he wasn't.

He then proceeded to ask his lab partner if he wanted to listen to his video game music on his phone.

If you are using Windows, do yourself a favor and download Visual Studio with PyTools as an IDE for Python. I am working with Python professionally and absolutely love Visual Studio and Pytools. It has great intellisense and tons of quality of life improvements which makes coding a lot easier and quicker. They offer a free version that should do everything you need. PyCharm is also a great cross platform IDE. Not my favorite, but a lot of other people really love it.

Also if you run into trouble, don't forget about #python on irc.freenode.net

Edit: Started looking at some of the newer versions of PyCharm and they have incorporated a lot of features making it much more robust than it used to be. The professional version is kind of pricey, like VS, but it seems they have a free license for the professional version for students and teachers.

Delizin fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

Are any of you guys that have good disability ratings getting pell grants at all? My wife just applied for FAFSA for her junior year of engineering next fall and wasn't eligible for any grants, only loans. Her expected family contribution came out to roughly 1/3rd of our total reported income. All of our income was nontaxable and most of it came from my 100% disability rating.

The financial aide lady at my wife's school told her that her application was done correctly and the EFC was right, but that in our area the income levels are skewed. She said that the Native Americans on the nearby reservations get free tuition at the university and either don't have to report their income or it isn't verifiable to get FAFSA, so the majority of grants go to them.

Was just curious if you guys were running into similar issues or if this is just a local thing.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

Mike-o posted:

Yeah you guys were right, holy gently caress there's some dumb loving people in college. This one dude keeps on making dumb remarks about how he doesn't get it and it's stupid in my Pre-Algebra class because i'm a dumb dumb and need remedial classes. But he's even dumber than me, like god drat i haven't done this poo poo for 12 years and I'm picking it up quick as gently caress.

Convince him that college is a waste of time and that he should enlist instead.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Oh well, I'll just sit here and finger gently caress some lines manually. Its not that big of a deal, just wanted to automate the process somewhat. gently caress Arc.

I haven't used ArcGIS, but I do program in Python professionally. Not a Guru, but I might be able to help you out with some general Python stuff.

• Locked thread