Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Thesaurasaurus posted:

Editing RPG books is really an exercise in technical writing and, to quote one particularly memorable phrasing from an old Exalted thread, "most professionals aren't willing to accept payment in cartoon moths flying out of a wallet." So there's that barrier, coupled with the difficulty in understanding the readers' needs you mention. I wonder - how difficult would it be to put together a template for gamebooks? Ideally, something ready-to-use with PDF creation software. You could incorporate basic stylistic guidelines and best practices into the template itself - page numbers on lower-left corner, flags that make sure headers and at least a significant amount of text body are always on the same page, a button for quickly flagging text to go into an auto-compiled index, word-wrap that plays nice with art, etc.
I'm pretty sure the *World games use a few .indd templates, and I've definitely seen a couple floating around, which is an excellent way to do a relatively mechanically simple game with a heavy emphasis on crowdsourcing new content.

To the bigger point, however, I think part of it is just the nature of the process: Bad editing stands out, good editing makes itself ignored. And mediocre editing is only really noticeable to people with enough experience to disqualify themselves from being within the price range that led to the mediocre editing in the first place.

That having been said holy poo poo the indexing feature in InDesign is SO GOD drat EASY TO USE and I'm never, ever going to shut up about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread