Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Cargo-Cult design is probably a good way to describe it. I know that when I start working on a book I just think of a book from my collection that's fairly close to what I'm trying to write in terms of ideas and length and that I personally think "this looks pretty good" then I just kind of ape its formatting.

I've even found myself doing the same thing with my own stuff...I come to a chapter and try and think about how I put it together, title it, etc...so I just look at the last thing I did that was fairly similar and see if that works. It's all very seat of the pants.

Of course, this is all fairly theoretical for me. The only books I've worked on that were professionally produced were formatted and edited by someone else entirely without my involvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread