Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
So! I'm making this thread to discuss topics related to the making of games, and how to make them, and how people want them made.

The first subject I want to bring up is editing! Editing is a subject that often gets brought up, but usually people only mention it if they think there wasn't enough of it. "Did nobody edit this game?" we cry. "Did White Wolf seriously have a corebook crowd-edited by Scribendi.com?"

I want to hear your thoughts on games and editing!

My basic experience is that getting a game edited is hard, because you're asking for something that's much different than getting someone to edit your novel. Everybody knows how to read a novel! But not everybody understands games, and you need your editor to understand your game to do her job. If your product is a 280,000-word narrative system with eight different colors and some cards... that can be difficult to find.

The twin problem is that if someone does understand your complicated gaming system, they may already be too close to it to figure out how it looks to anybody who isn't familiar. This is why I can't do any editing on stuff like Chuubo myself; it all makes sense to me already and I have difficulty figuring out which parts are going to be hard to understand. (Also I tend to have three or four older drafts that got floated by me in my head that I confuse with the final text.) You also tend to end up in a situation where the people who are prepared to edit your book are already your fans/friends, which is a problem of its own.

I recently saw somebody advertising his services as a gaming editor, calculated Chuubo against his rate on a whim, and got an figure of about ten thousand dollars. I think that is quite possibly fair for someone who's going to spend as many hours as it's honestly going to take, but it's not surprising that most people don't go for that.

So! Tell me your thoughts and war stories!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread