Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
A pack of Air Sponges, rotating out as they started to shrink inside their case, is the only way I got the smell of gear oil out of my old Subaru's carpet.

Excellent thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That's what happened to me with a WRX and a $1000 Subaru that came pre-dented. Beaters are the best cars.

Beaters are the only cars.

I give it a month before you start reading my tumblr and collecting a pinterest album of degraded-looking AMCs.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah that is through-and-through.

If you can get behind it you might be able to get a better look. I bet that's where two sheets of metal pinch down into a corner which is packed with salt through some gap in the body.

If you do wheel it and get it patched, spray something like the Eastwood interior frame coat or some cavity wax in there.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 5, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

When it's flaking hard and bubbling, is there any point in treating the remains with rust converter? Does that help stop the spread at the edges? This is assuming I can get behind it to the unpainted side.

Yeah, if you can get the back side of it with rust converter and put something protective on top it'll definitely help. You'll need to knock down the bubbles anyway though since the rust will be on 'both' sides of the metal now.

Based on where the rust is I bet if you drop the rear bumper and take a look up into the kind of "L-shaped" bracket that holds the bumper to the quarter, it should be pretty obvious where the trouble areas are without having to pick at anything.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kastein posted:

I'm a fan of mall parking garages. When I was still living in Worcester, a friend and I usually used the back corner of the Greendale Mall's parking structure, because there was even an electrical outlet that would run an angle grinder!

The local mall has a heated underground parking garage that's relatively well lit, and an awkward back corner that security has to walk very far from the main building to reach.

I'm not gonna lie, I've done some minor services in that parking garage when I lived in a condo.

• Locked thread