Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

jamal posted:

The main reason I'm down in az is to replace all the hard lines on my uncle's yukon that came here from ontario. Unclear on what has to happen to get them all in/out, I have read on some forums that maybe the body needs to come off the frame and the fuel tank dropped, which if that is true I will recommend they get a new car to keep down here. Have a line kit from classic tube and am going to try to get it on a lift at my friend's shop this week to check out.

gently caress this is going to suck. Everything is rust under there and there's a small coolant leak coming from the rear heater assembly area.

I did exactly this on my 2003 Escalade, it should probably be similar for yours. I was able to get all of the prebent SS lines in place without too much trouble actually. Everything would have been great - if the *~CUSTOM FIT LINES~* had actually fit properly, and not have been ~8 - 12" too long in front. What ended up happening was I smushed them into place, decided that was janky and lovely and decided not to do it that way, and ordered a line flaring kit so I could cut and reflare them in the proper lengths. Long story short, the flaring kit arrived but was kind of hosed up, by the time I got a working kit it was too cold to do the job. Didn't have the motivation to do it last summer either, and it's been sitting since then. I have to do that this summer hopefully. I also got a set of Goodridge stainless lines to connect to the calipers, but some of those fittings leaked - I then read that some of their fittings were made at the wrong angle or something (?) and the flares don't match. The solution for this is apparently little copper gaskets that you put between the stainless and hardline.

I got my prebent line kit from Inline Tube, who was terrible about the whole thing and did not offer me the tiniest bit of an attempt to make it right, aside from offering to sell me another new pair of front lines (the same ones that didn't fit) at full price. gently caress you, Inline Tube. Never again.

e: I didn't have to take the body off the frame, nor drop the tank. I did this all in my driveway with hand tools. I was able to route everything without touching the suspension / tank. It did take a bit of patience wiggling everything through to get it where it needed to go though.

kimbo305 posted:

What's the typical failure mode for rusted brake lines? Poorer braking? Fluid reservoir getting dirty and low quickly?

I had a dash cam running when mine went. It's not really spectacular, but here's the vid anyway:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve6gqfIWq_A
The grinding noise you hear is the ABS churning (it was a slippery bridge, at close to freezing temps). The dinging is after the line blew and the car sensed something was wrong (and I had no brakes). I had no warning at all. I was extremely lucky that the semi next to me had moved left to the turn lane for the expressway entrance, otherwise I would have been in his wheels. I was able to coast up to a parking lot entrance past the light on the left, and kind of slowly drift into it.

The funny part was, it wasn't a hardline that actually blew - it was one of the stainless flex hoses in the engine compartment. All of the lines were incredibly corroded though, and the most vulnerable ones had been patched multiple times. There were 4 patches in the lines I pulled out, IIRC.

e: I forgot I took a video of the leak afterwards as well. You can't really see it, but the brake fluid mist is coming from a split section of braided stainless under the MC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUdtdmZLA2U

Black88GTA fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

jamal posted:

The kit I got is from classic tube, they are pre bent stainless. From what I can tell they fit fairly well. Don't remember if we ordered the flex lines to the calipers too.

That's what I thought too...mine were bent in all the right places, but the problems came up when I went to connect them to the junction under the driver's door. They overshot it by a significant amount.

• Locked thread