Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Nice beater. Get a $50 ozone generator from Amazon and use it for about 30 minutes with the car closed / fan recirculating. Smell will be gone after a couple treatments, at most.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007GS5L08

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kimbo305 posted:

e: just looking at that bolt in the front suspension is already discouraging me from DIYing any serious suspension changes.

That's what spacers are for, especially if you're going to lift it.

Edit: Looks like it's extended spindles for Charger lifts: http://universalcarlifts.com/product_info.php?products_id=54

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 14, 2016

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kimbo305 posted:

Big question is how much you can upsize the tires from there. As Powershift pointed out, the wheelwells become the limiting factor.

Already addressed:

NitroSpazzz posted:

Chop fenders, bolt on flares, lift it.

How big can you go on the tires before they hit its acceleration to the point that you need to change the rear end ratio?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kimbo305 posted:

Well, storm is downgraded to something like 6" tops, probably after I get the tires changed over. I've got a lot of salt dust on the steelies. Should I wash them to make sure no salt gets trapped on the inside of the rim? Does that even matter?

I've decided to run rallyx with AutoStick mode on, which lets you let the target highest gear. So if I move it to 3, I think it tries to maintain revs without shifting past 3rd.

And might try this, depending on how loose the surface is:
http://www.edmunds.com/dodge/charger/2007/long-term-road-test/2007-dodge-charger-srt8-one-touch-burnout-access.html

Calling it now -- you're going to start to love the beater-ness of the Charger and the Ferrari is going to be used less and less. At least that's what happened with my Biturbo / Audi 4000 combo... but then again, it was a Biturbo.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kimbo305 posted:

Saw a spot under the engine bay; been pretty dry, so either from the Charger or a previous parker:

That's another one of the beautiful things about a beater -- you see something like that, shrug, and go about your business.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kastein posted:

... so the brake lines can be a real pain in the dick to replace with prebent factory units after all the drivetrain stuff is in, unless you get lucky and there are unions in places or it's just easy to slide the new one in place. I'd have to look at it in person to really know for sure, I did the front to rear hardline on a coworker's 04 WJ grand cherokee and ended up having to mildly deform the new line, disconnect a bunch of emissions hoses, drop the front driveshaft, snake it up into the engine compartment through the ratsnest of wiring and hoses it was under, unbolt one end of the transmission crossmember to slip the line over it, then put it all back together. Still only took about 2 hours and that was the most annoying one on the whole vehicle, though.

This is sadly true. I dealt with it a long time ago with a '93 Cadillac STS. It was a fantastic car, in great shape... everything was perfect, condition-wise, except the brake lines. They rotted to gently caress and one started to leak on me. The more I looked into it, the more I saw that I couldn't cut and piece replacements in, since every run was in bad shape and fixing one area put enough strain to make the adjacent areas fail.

I ended up selling the car instead of replacing the lines, since prebent lines weren't available and that job was more of a pain in the rear end than it would have been worth.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

GM is the common sucky denominator with rusted brake lines. The '05 Rendezvous I had showed the same signs of corrosion... how can GM make a car that holds up to rust, but says "gently caress it" with brake line material?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CharlesM posted:

If you lost all four then I have no idea what happens as fortunately I have not done that!

If that happens, you'd better hope that you didn't put off adjusting your emergency brake and/or your transmission is happy to downshift on command.

• Locked thread