Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

there wolf posted:

If Chocalot is your standard barer for anti-papist propaganda, then you've lived a blessed life.

Chick Tracts are probably the worst I've seen, but those aren't nominated for Best Picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Armyman25 posted:

Chick Tracts are probably the worst I've seen, but those aren't nominated for Best Picture.

Elizabeth was and it at least paints the Catholics and the Catholic church in a bad light. Do you find Footloose to be a brutal swipe at Protestantism?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Gladiator loving kicks rear end. It's a great star-driven swords-and-sandals Hollywood epic, which is something I always make time for.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Alain Post posted:

Gladiator loving kicks rear end. It's a great star-driven swords-and-sandals Hollywood epic, which is something I always make time for.

I will disregard your thoughts on 1970s films from earlier in the thread.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Oh man, Unforgiven is so loving great. Everyone should watch it now.

I'd put off watching Gladiator, Shakespeare in Love, The Hurt Locker, and Crash. Preferably until you're about 95 years old and your dementia has rotted your brain to the point those movies are no longer retarded trash.

A Glistening Hodor post I 100% agree with.

What the gently caress is the world coming to?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

there wolf posted:

Elizabeth was and it at least paints the Catholics and the Catholic church in a bad light. Do you find Footloose to be a brutal swipe at Protestantism?

I haven't seen Elizabeth, and Protestantism is a term for an extremely broad variety of beliefs. The Southern Baptist/Evangelical, etc., type of Christianity in Footloose is very dependent on the particular preacher so I'd say it was a brutal swipe at John Lithgow.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Armyman25 posted:

I haven't seen Elizabeth, and Protestantism is a term for an extremely broad variety of beliefs. The Southern Baptist/Evangelical, etc., type of Christianity in Footloose is very dependent on the particular preacher so I'd say it was a brutal swipe at John Lithgow.

Whereas Catholicism is a very narrow set typified by how it's the only sect that practices the Lenten fast...

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

there wolf posted:

Whereas Catholicism is a very narrow set typified by how it's the only sect that practices the Lenten fast...

You are really invested in defending this thing, aren't you?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Armyman25 posted:

You are really invested in defending this thing, aren't you?

Last word?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Judakel posted:

Last word?

I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies.

:smug:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

there wolf posted:

Just gonna point out that the Eastern Orthodox Churches all practice Lent or are you lumping them and Catholics together, which frankly, seems odd.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Armyman25 posted:

I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies.

:smug:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Barudak posted:

Just gonna point out that the Eastern Orthodox Churches all practice Lent or are you lumping them and Catholics together, which frankly, seems odd.

Pretty sure s/he was being sarcastic.

• Locked thread