Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

GORDON posted:

"Hey everybody welcome to the 88th Academy Awards where we celebrate our industry and the best of the best art that has been created in this last year. So let's talk about rape now."

I know peeps tend to get preachy at the Oscars, but goddam, is it always that bad?

Well one of the songs being performed was specifically for a rape documentary and the eventual winner was about child molestation (beating out a movie about a woman and her rape baby and another movie in which a warlord keeps a half dozen brides for raping) so why not talk about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Egbert Souse posted:

FYI, Wings, the first Best Picture winner is on Netflix. It's a terrific film, even if not quite the artistic work.

And it has this awesome shot halfway into the movie:

I haven't seen Wings yet but that's a fuckin' great shot.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Henchman of Santa posted:

Well one of the songs being performed was specifically for a rape documentary and the eventual winner was about child molestation (beating out a movie about a woman and her rape baby and another movie in which a warlord keeps a half dozen brides for raping) so why not talk about it?

A girl gets raped in The Revenant.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Raxivace posted:

The whole movie is beautifully shot. It helps that the restoration looks that amazing, but it has aerial dogfights where they actually had a camera strapped to biplanes with actors inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrVY8ukOl88

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

A girl gets raped in The Revenant.

So 50% of BP noms alone! I'm assuming there isn't any in Bridge of Spies or Brooklyn.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Well, having seen Spotlight now I see why it was given the Best Picture award. Certainly more deserving than Bridge of Spies anyway.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I saw bridge of spies today after the supporting actor win. It was ok. Poorly edited (30 min too long), cheap writing (the rerendition of the initial insurance pitch), too 'blindside/remember the titans'y, and I hated the score.

But the acting was really good! and the core plot was compelling.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Mad Max probably deserved it but it was a pretty strong second for Production Design imo

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I think people are correct in saying that Spotlight was not particularly cinematic. It's really important to remember that cinematography is only one part of the picture - Spotlight was a very well acted film with a tight script and a topical issue. It's actually not a surprising win if you consider it from that perspective.

In a lot of ways, it was the complete opposite of The Revenant, which I consider a good example of something that's over-directed and over-acted. Zero nuance.

I still think it's a crime Sicario wasn't nominated for more, but that's just me.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/ddavidrenshaw/status/704401643790602240

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

I really can't feel bad for the dude considering two months ago he was all

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Alain Post posted:

I'm pretty sure the Tangerine Dream score from Thief was nominated.

For a razzie?!!

gently caress my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEvomyYkIPY

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 1, 2016

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Pirate Jet posted:

I really can't feel bad for the dude considering two months ago he was all

I had no opinion on Sam Smith until now, other than thinking his music is kind of boring, but now I actively dislike the guy. He seems pretty stupid.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Wasn't there just a general backlash against any kind of electronic music at the time? Like I know many bands like Styx got shat on for trying it out.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Henchman of Santa posted:

Well what's the point of buzzkilling the party? Most people don't rape, and those who do aren't going to be changed by the Academy Award people scolding them about it.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Raxivace posted:

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, as good as it is, is just good writing and acting from what I remember. On the stage with the same cast and script I'm not convinced it would be worse or different.

Jaws is almost pure cinema (Or at least in the sense of how Hitchcock meant it). What makes the movie so good is how well it uses the medium of film, which you really can't grant to Cuckoo's Nest.

I won't argue that Jaws makes better use of the medium's unique aspects, but Cuckoo's Nest is infinitely more engaging precisely because its human elements are better realized.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Chris Rock is under fire for being racist because of his joke with the asian kids on stage. There you go, Hollywood.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Jack's Flow posted:

Chris Rock is under fire for being racist because of his joke with the asian kids on stage. There you go, Hollywood.

[extreme white liberal voice]

That joke about Chinese child slave labor being used to make iPhones was very upsetting.

*sent from my iPhone*

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Judakel posted:

I won't argue that Jaws makes better use of the medium's unique aspects, but Cuckoo's Nest is infinitely more engaging precisely because its human elements are better realized.

Cuckoo's Nest is off putting in every respect. It's ugly to look at, the sound design is terrible, and it ends with a magical Indian.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Armyman25 posted:

Cuckoo's Nest is off putting in every respect. It's ugly to look at, the sound design is terrible, and it ends with a magical Indian.

The way Cuckoo's Nest treats mental illness is shortsighted and almost insulting. I get what it's trying to say as a film, but it just rubs me the wrong way.

Jaws is a perfect movie, though.

I have The Broadway Melody and The Great Ziegfeld on the way from Netflix. I'm going to catch up on the remaining Best Pictures I haven't seen. Melody looks like it'll be pretty creaky, but the clips I've seen of Ziegfeld look interesting.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Raxivace posted:

You should check it out. It's excellent and a great introduction to silent movies if you're unfamiliar with them.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

lmao that the entire point of the iphone joke being that people would complain about it on chinese technology and now people are blindly doing just that

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

straight up brolic posted:

lmao that the entire point of the iphone joke being that people would complain about it on chinese technology and now people are blindly doing just that

The joke was still terrible. Going "gotcha, you're using slave labor technology to criticize it!" misses the point of the criticism.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Armyman25 posted:

I am sorry that you cannot connect with a film on a human level.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I don't care about Spotlight winning, I'm just mad about two things:

1. Leo was absolutely banal in Revenant, Tom Hardy was the superior actor

2. That person in this thread who thought biopic wasn't a portmanteau of biographical picture and who is pronouncing it wrong and being smug about same.

Other than that, life is good.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Biopic = biographic picture. Hm. I didn't know that!

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Anal Surgery posted:

I'm just mad about

2. That person in this thread who thought biopic wasn't a portmanteau of biographical picture and who is pronouncing it wrong and being smug about same.

This makes my night.

GORDON fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 2, 2016

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Egbert Souse posted:

I have The Broadway Melody and The Great Ziegfeld on the way from Netflix. I'm going to catch up on the remaining Best Pictures I haven't seen. Melody looks like it'll be pretty creaky, but the clips I've seen of Ziegfeld look interesting.

I remember The Broadway Melody disc I got had some old Metro Movietone Revues on it that were interesting.

Ziegfeld had some dance/stage segments that would've looked great in widescreen color but are forever stuck in 4:3 B/W.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

GORDON posted:

This makes my night.

They don't call me the Night Maker around the office for nothing :slick:

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Jack's Flow posted:

That joke was lame and he deserves the criticism. The bit itself was an unironic "all accountants are Asian" jab, and the punchline about kids in China making iPhones was just a tired reiteration of that Louis CK bit about iPhones used to try and make it a "gotcha."

This is actually my problem with Rock's performance more broadly. He had a few good jokes, but by and large they were forced or boring, if not total flops. His criticism of Hollywood's racism is legit, but a lot of his material (like the "Carol is the third best girl-on-girl move I've seen this year" or that Asian accountant joke) was crude and stupid. He just wasn't very clever.

I think it's telling that the bit I ended up laughing the most at out of the entire broadcast was Louis CK's introduction of the Documentary Short Feature award.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Louis CK's bit about the Best Documentary Short Oscar going home in a Honda Civic and giving the winner anxiety to keep it in their crappy apartment was the best joke and second best joke of the night.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

MeinPanzer posted:

(like the "Carol is the third best girl-on-girl move I've seen this year" or that Asian accountant joke)

yeah, what the hell, it was clearly the best one

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

That Carol joke was better than most of Rock's material all night.

Fight me.

And since when do Americans pronounce biopic like biopsy? Is that seriously a thing?

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

esperterra posted:

And since when do Americans pronounce biopic like biopsy? Is that seriously a thing?

I'd always heard it as "bio" "pic" with the emphasis on the Bi part :heysexy:

My wife, an English major and linguistic pedant, SWORE to me it was bi-AW-pic, rhyming with myopic.

A quick run to both Google and Wikipedia showed that, at least according to those fonts of all knowledge, it's supposed to be BYE-oh-pic. I'm not aware of it even being a regional thing because my wife is the only one I've ever heard pronounce it the other way.

This also marks the only time in my marriage I've ever been right, so I'm clinging to this. I need this.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Anal Surgery posted:

My wife, an English major and linguistic pedant, SWORE to me it was bi-AW-pic, rhyming with myopic.

A quick run to both Google and Wikipedia showed that, at least according to those fonts of all knowledge, it's supposed to be BYE-oh-pic. I'm not aware of it even being a regional thing because my wife is the only one I've ever heard pronounce it the other way.

This also marks the only time in my marriage I've ever been right, so I'm clinging to this. I need this.

I think you're definitely right. The confusion is that people just pronounce it in line with other similar words (myopic, biographic, etc). Linguistic force of habit just shapes how people approach the word until they're corrected.

edit: That and the correct pronunciation definitely accents a two word meaning ("bio pic") but the word itself is presented as one word "biopic" so that also shapes how we approach it's pronunciation.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 3, 2016

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Anal Surgery posted:

Yeah BYE-oh-pic is how it should be said. I've never heard it the other way and I love in Canada. Really confused the poo poo out of me when it was even suggested there's two ways to say it.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Well, /bi-OP-ic/ is clearly a different word. It derives from bi, meaning 'two', op or ob meaning 'across, through', and ic meaning 'related to'. In other words, 'a thing related to two [people] going across or through something'. In the pages of movie magazines, it naturally refers to road movies. There's a false folk etymology that the term derives as a shortening of 'Bing-Hope-picture' but that is unsupported nonsense. Confusion of 'bio-pic' and 'biopic' is compounded by people on the internet making things up on the spot.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I just like the sound of it better than bio-pic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
It rhymes with myopic. It always has... but that was before the dark times. Before the Millennials.

They changed everything and made it stupid.

GORDON fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 4, 2016

• Locked thread