Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Day 15:

Next time on FRUMPTOOB Mysteries: our hero wanders into some very spooky places that aren't a Wharf! Skeletons! Zombies! Creepy guys with sickles! Will he find a cleverly hidden key with the help of his sidekick, Katheryn? Will he finally beat a boss without having to summon multiple aids like a little bitch? Will The Fat Man ruin his day? Will he live more than 30 seconds this time? (yes, to the last one)

Stay tuned to find out!

Day 15: The Mystery of the Bonfire Key
Day 15 (Abridged, part 1/2)
Day 15 (Abridged, part 2/2)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fat and Useless posted:

"You have invaded the world of Jew Hunter"

How nice a man of the Jewish faith who is a hunter.

I'd kill these people but I don't want to raise my soul memory.

Really the whole plan is held up with duct tape and it will be some miracle if I actually do invade him. Maybe it's all just to unsettle him, get in his head, make him slip off planks as he twitches at shadows of a fat man. When it does happen he'll know it happened.

Always good to see someone who's both proud of their heritage and hobbies. Warms my heart in this age of irony and hatred.
I'll try to remember to bring up my soul memory, but I keep loving forgetting once I start the recording. :shrug: Once again, I'm comically bad at PvP. Like my only PvP victory in DS1 was invading the Burg with a post-Lordvessel SL1 character. I deserve to be killed over and over, most likely from my own incompetence.

Don't think I'm gonna do any exceptions to the one death a day rule. It will ruin the purity of this run if I do any sort of exception to one death a day. I think I may join the bell covenant for reasons discussed on Skype (recharging estus when bored at the end of long videos), but...

Fat and Useless posted:

That being said belfry isn't even the best PvP!

there's no penalty in DS2 for switching covenants, right? Might be fun to jump between a few of them over the course of the LP. I dunno.There are options! This is only 1/6th of the way through, after all.

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
You can change Covenants like whatever in DS2, no NPC will hate you for it.

Great progress, congratulations! With the new Branch you now can go wherever the gently caress you want.

Things that came up in the video:
- Noone has pointed you towards the easy Soldier Key door in the Forest yet which you missed. It's over the bridge next to the ladder down from the bonfire, which I think you never crossed. Might want to hop by at some point.
- Sadly, there is no more "Well? What is it?" Gesture.
- I never realized that Hexes deal Stamina damage...
- If you worry about your arrow situation: McDuff sells unlimited Iron Arrows (which, pre-Scholar, was a problem - seeing you still would be way off getting the Ember)
- Fire is the element (weapons AND pyromancy, any source of fire damage really - it's that simple, thankfully!) that scales with Faith + Int (no average afaik). Dark scales with the lowest of the two, so for a Dark build you really want to have them at the same level.
- The Forlorn are a Scholar addition and what I alluded to when I said Scholar will handily take care of your being starved for Invasions (though Craig might have changed your opinion a little, haha). They have fixed spots to show up, but it's random if they do*. If you kill enough of them, you can get their gear!
- Skeletons are very resistant to piercing damage (the stab and backstab of your Halberd), but the slice can take care of them real good. That's why the backstab was so terrible.
- Sick jumps onto the platform where the Necromancer used to be, god drat!
- It's a good idea to branch into Faith for utility spells. Something I cannot confirm but what I heard: Halberd supposedly infuses well into Lightning (or Fire, I guess) because its original scaling isn't that great, so if you aim to have middling Faith, it might do more damage infused. Certainly against some enemies, especially when water is involved. It might be worth a try, or you wait for a truly definitely good Lightning weapon (in vanilla, you would have one already - the guaranteed Heide Knight Sword drop).

Onto items!
- I think you picked up a Royal Greatsword last time which I forgot to comment about. It's a Greatsword (for once that's true), so a solid harder hitting not too heavy, not too slow weapon. The entire class is a solid choice and very deep in variety. This one inflicts Bleed naturally, but you'll probably kill anything with its normal damage before Bleed kicks in - it's really not a good status effect in DS2.
- The Flamberge is pretty much the same weapon, little heavier, little more damage. Says the wiki about the Royal Greatsword. However, the Flamberge was buffed in the latest (?) patch. Now it scales really well and can inflict Bleed easily (apparently) when infused with extra Bleed (yes, you can do that). Interesting!
- The Drangleic Sword is another Greatsword, nothing really special about it, does upgrade with Twinkling Titanite, though. I'm moderately sure it's not worth it. But if you get it asap and have the stats, it might easily outdamage alternatives until you can get those to +6...
- Its accompanying shield is indeed the first 100% physical block shield you can get. Pretty heavy, but what can you do...
- The Bandit's Knife is also a Bleed weapon, and as it hits very quickly with not that much damage, it can serve you well to actually bleed poo poo. It's far from the uber-knife it was in DS1, however. Too many other good options!
- The Thief Dagger is NOT one of those, though if I trust the wiki it's okay for Sorcerors as back-up as it has no real damage to lose if you infuse it with various poo poo, so you can pump it fulla Magic without going "eh I could have just stabbed them normally". Dunno.
- Someone is screaming bloody murder at you for that Lizard Staff drop :haw:. It used to be the best (especially with a very fast casting time) Staff for pure Magic until a very long ways in, but now Scholar has put arguably THE best Magic staff at an earlier point. Which is good, because you know about farming from those not respawning Necromancers? Yeah...there is a way (actually, there are two) but both are stupid pains in the loving rear end. I know of at least two posters in the DS2 thread in Games who went crazy farming this thing for hours.
- And finally, with the boss soul weapon for the Skeleton Lords, you can get the Roaring Halberd, which is probably THE best weapon for melee Dark builds if you can deal with it being a Halberd at all. Crazy good movesets with spins and poo poo. Not entirely up your alley stat-wise, but maybe something to keep in mind if you ever feel like going elemental (after all, Soul Vessels are plentiful mid-lategame).

*with this information, they are now basically what Fat and Useless tries to be. Except slim and actually there to gently caress with you!

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 29, 2016

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011
In vanilla Hexes worked this way: The game took the LOWEST of the two FAITH or INT so you needed to level up two stats to up the damage. Also the spells cost souls to cast. The most basic one was 500 souls I believe and the highest spell cost was either all your souls or 20000!!! souls depending what was lower. So why use them you say??? Because they where OP AS gently caress. At 40 faith and 40 int the 20000 souls spell one shotted most bosses. Basically from the 1.0 version of the game hexes where nerfed EVERY patch and they are still powerful. Because they also do stamina dmg when the game came out pretty much every second pvp was some fucker trying to one shot you with them.

EDIT: Also I dont know whats your policy on illusionary walls so I'm spoilering this

In the arena where you fought the three sentinels there are like 4-5 illusionary walls

AnEvilHerbivore
Feb 17, 2013

I will eat all of the leaves on this tree. I will eat more leaves than I should, and then other giraffes may die.

FailAtMagic posted:

Also the spells cost souls to cast. The most basic one was 500 souls I believe and the highest spell cost was either all your souls or 20000!!! souls depending what was lower.

Dark Orb, the one I mentioned in the video, didn't cost any souls to cast. It was the most basic hex that could be cast with a staff. And it was still broken as hell.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

AnEvilHerbivore posted:

Dark Orb, the one I mentioned in the video, didn't cost any souls to cast. It was the most basic hex that could be cast with a staff. And it was still broken as hell.
It's important to note the "staff" part - Hexes require either a staff or a chime (says so on the spell itself), and all the soul-powered ones use chimes to cast. Chime Hexes tend to be utility ones, like debuffs and AOE spells to zone enemies, while Staff Hexes are purely shooty offensive ones (except, see above, the ones that require souls to cast). That's not perfectly true, of course - you have a wide selection of poo poo to use in any case, and there are items that can cast whatever.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1A0p0F_iH8

Well assuming you continue forward where you died it should be easy to hit you as long as I get the correct time and fix my soul memory.

Edit: My SM is 141410 which is actually in range, I can go up to 240000 without going out of range.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 29, 2016

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
FaU, your continued attempts at invading Rob just serve to remind me of my continued attempts to invade the last Demon's Souls LP that went on here. I never did manage to find the bastard.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

KieranWalker posted:

FaU, your continued attempts at invading Rob just serve to remind me of my continued attempts to invade the last Demon's Souls LP that went on here. I never did manage to find the bastard.

I have the better part of 2 months for the stars to align.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Smokyprogg, are you ok? :ohdear:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Fella got did in by cold damage, I hear. Didn't spec for it.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Hexes also have one of the few spells (maybe even the only one?) that can do friendly fire damage. :v:

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 8, 2016

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

RIP, OP :/

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Sad to see this (presumably) go, I just wanted to add one more thing which we talked about...I think on video? If not, whatever :v:.

...I did manage to grind out my 99 STR to powerstance the biggest gently caress-off clubs in the game :haw:!

Good night, sweet thread, and may gigantic steel dildos slam you into the ground on your way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I don't mean to gravebump a thread, but I had just been catching up on this when all the video links suddenly went private. Was there some drama, or are you just not interested in LPing this anymore smokyprogg? I really enjoyed your zelda LP and was enjoying this one too :(

• Locked thread