Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Just how dumb are our congressmen and senators
oh my god so dumb
Just Plain Dumb
makin' sacks of hammers look like Albert Einstein
dumb like you wouldn't believe
the kind of dumb where you kind of get a little exasperated thinking about it
View Results

• Locked thread
Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
I've decided I want a thread for all the dumbass stupid poo poo Our Dear Leaders get up to apart from the presidential nomination process

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/687706292094242816

it was spurred by this rear end in a top hat's poor sense of fashion. just look at that. shameful. like he stopped by Target on his way to the loving post office. not that Mr. Blue Argyle Sweatervest is puttin' on the Ritz but at least he looks like he might be more important than a temp intern at an ad agency.

post pics and stories about your favorite local congressman or senator or whoever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

ted cruz is my senator :negative:

also this rear end in a top hat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt05KC3Add8

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

^^^ remember when Cornyn was the arch-conservative rear end in a top hat when he took over for Phil Gramm? lol

imo in the event of a Trump nomination there will be a lot of voters who vote for him but not downticket R's. The House is up for grabs.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
theyre all a pack of crooks except my guy, op

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

lol that commercial and the one dan patrick used were golden

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Same.

The only good thing about the Trum/Cruz rise is at least John's flavor of uberconservative shitpile is being forced out. You can easily point to why Cruz is a terrible person but there's this weird 'well ok yea so Cornyn hates the gays and the blacks and the womens too but he does it in a much calmer voice than Ted does, so really he's reasonable' thing that still happens for some reason.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Aliquid posted:

imo in the event of a Trump nomination there will be a lot of voters who vote for him but not downticket R's. The House is up for grabs.

I think the dems would need both that and a substantial drop in turnout from moderate Republicans to get the double digit % lead in the national house vote they'd need to get the majority. The median house district voted for Romney and the last dem house majority i think needed both a double digit lead nationally and a number of southern democrats holding red rural seats getting split ticket votes through incumbency and that just doesn't happen any more

polls indicate a fairly large minority of Republicans aren't willing to vote for trump, if that number doesn't get whittled down too much as a trump national campaign progresses then there might be a chance at a two year democrat rental. If they could use that to ram through statehood for PR and DC then they might lower the bar in the house and make things easier for themselves in the Senate but we're deep in nested hypotheticals now

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

IMHO those clowns in congress are a bunch of clowns

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

This is what the USPol thread in D&D is for. I don't see why we need this thread unless its because we want to be able to more freely shitpost

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

blue squares posted:

This is what the USPol thread in D&D is for. I don't see why we need this thread unless its because we want to be able to more freely shitpost

this could be a "congressional elections 2016" thread, basically

my hometown congressman, noted garbage person darrell issa, is set for another landslide victory against nameless milquetoast democratic candidate #251

however, the country I live in, Taiwan, is set to elect a pretty cool lady for president in mere hours!!!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

My two senators are Pat Leahy and Bernie. Gotta say, pretty happy about that. :smug:

...Congressman Peter Welch I can kinda take or leave tbh.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

quadrophrenic posted:

my hometown congressman, noted garbage person darrell issa, is set for another landslide victory against nameless milquetoast democratic candidate #251

oh that motherfucker. I grew up in neighboring Dana Rohrbacher's district and two are some real pieces of poo poo. Rohrbacher is so loving loony that he opposes putting fluoride in water.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

blue squares posted:

This is an election issue. It has a home in the election loving forum

Let's all have a 2 minute hate about North Carolina's 2012 house election: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_of_Representatives_elections_in_North_Carolina,_2012

Good job, everyone.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

blue squares posted:

we want to be able to more freely shitpost

Problems?

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Wulfolme posted:

This is an election issue. It has a home in the election loving forum

Let's all have a 2 minute hate about North Carolina's 2012 house election: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_of_Representatives_elections_in_North_Carolina,_2012

Good job, everyone.

what a cool democracy we have

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

quadrophrenic posted:

this could be a "congressional elections 2016" thread, basically

however, the country I live in, Taiwan, is set to elect a pretty cool lady for president in mere hours!!!

I wanted to run against him, but couldn't stand living in his district any more. Also he's the richest person in congress, and the people from his district are bugfuck idiots. LA is pretty liberal, but moving South until you get to SD proper, it's a racist wasteland. Like "I lived in the South but we treated blacks better than this" racist.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Xenophon posted:

It is cool + good, actually!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Thump! posted:

IMHO those clowns in congress are a bunch of clowns

Somebody should tell the circus!!!!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Xenophon posted:

lmao

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
this is all making me favor sortition but on a distribution of the political compass (an online quiz with 25 questions!) populated by the opinions of citizen respondents

libertarians and communards deserve at least one or two senators each~

i mean, if a public official can represent political interests -- which we could test and ensure without conventional voting -- then the only reason to hold elections is to recall them for faults of character. And if public servants like librarians can be trained and trusted to not voice any political opinions at work ever, then at least for the purposes of the character I desire in public officials it should be possible and satisfactory to stop senators throwing racial/othering/homophobic epithets around etc

stephenfry has issued a correction as of 22:48 on Jan 18, 2016

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

specific patches of geography still probably need some mechanism of democratic representation though

multi-member districts are used in a lot of countries to kind of split the difference

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Xenophon posted:

I wonder how that happened

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
This is coming from a state legislature, not Congress, but too good not to share

quote:

Republican lawmaker says journalists should face a registry to work in South Carolina

By Gavin Jackson and Schuyler Kropf

An Upstate lawmaker who tried to keep the Confederate flag flying and whose campaign spending habits were part of a Post and Courier examination of Statehouse money trails says it’s time to register journalists in the state.

State Rep. Mike Pitts, R-Laurens, Tuesday introduced a bill called the “South Carolina Responsible Journalism Registry Law.”

The bill would create requirements for people wanting to work as a journalist for a media outlet, and also before that outlet could hire anyone for a reporting position.

The Secretary of State’s Office would be tasked with keeping a “responsible journalism registry.”

Fees would also be set up, with fines and criminal penalties created for violations.

Details of the bill were not immediately available. It was introduced in the S.C. House of Representatives just a short time ago and sent to the Committee on Labor, Commerce and Industry.

Pitts was part of a Post and Courier report on money in Columbia and the weak requriements of the state’s ethics laws. Pitts, a member of the House Ethics Committee, has enjoyed multiple trips out West for what he called hobnobs with “sportsmen legislators.”

On one occasion he received a $1,104 trip in 2014 to attend the annual National Assembly of Sportsmen’s Caucuses Summit in Sunriver, Ore., where he was also went hunting. He used campaign money to gas up his rental car on the trip. There was nothing illegal in the spending.

Pitts also was the leading advocate for keeping the Confederate flag flying outside the Statehouse during last summer’s flag debate in the wake of the Emanuel AME Church shootings.

maker
Jun 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xenophon posted:

I've decided I want a thread for all the dumbass stupid poo poo Our Dear Leaders get up to apart from the presidential nomination process

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/687706292094242816

it was spurred by this rear end in a top hat's poor sense of fashion. just look at that. shameful. like he stopped by Target on his way to the loving post office. not that Mr. Blue Argyle Sweatervest is puttin' on the Ritz but at least he looks like he might be more important than a temp intern at an ad agency.

post pics and stories about your favorite local congressman or senator or whoever

GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I used to have this guy as my congressman https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_Frelinghuysen and now I have this dude https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Lance.
I vote for the green party candidate everytime though. :420:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Xenophon posted:

This is coming from a state legislature, not Congress, but too good not to share

Lol you replace journalist with gun owner and so called liberals would be all over it.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Powercrazy posted:

Lol you replace journalist with gun owner and so called liberals would be all over it.

Dozens massacred by journalist: when will our politicians do something?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Well you know how a pen is mightier than a sword right? Think about how many more words you can write with a computer! It's like a machine gun really if you think about it

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
We must regulate these assault blogging tools.

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

Powercrazy posted:

We must regulate these assault blogging tools.

I almost scathingly posted about one way your comparison breaks down

but then I realized my fellow citizens probably do view ownership of lethal weapons by untrained amateurs as a public service more legitimate and important than a free press

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

So are we gonna see any Trump-style candidates for Congress this year, or does that not come until later?

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
i personally can't goddamn wait to see which exciting choices between the republican and the libertarian (because the democratic party probably won't even run a candidate again, like in 2012 and 2014 lmao) i'll have to pretend to make before deciding which dota hero i want to loving write into the ballot again

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
More local legislature news here, this time out of Kanas' senate

Kansas City Star posted:

TOPEKA – A dress code imposed by a Kansas Senate committee chairman that prohibits women testifying on bills from wearing low-cut necklines and miniskirts is drawing bipartisan ridicule from female legislators.

Sen. Mitch Holmes’ 11-point code of conduct does not include any restrictions on men, who he said needed no instruction on how to look professional, The Topeka Capital-Journal reported.

“Oh, for crying out loud, what century is this?” Sen. Laura Kelly, a Topeka Democrat, said Thursday.

Holmes, a 53-year-old Republican from St. John who is chairman of the Senate Ethics and Elections Committee, said he wrote the instruction because provocatively dressed women are a distraction.

The guidelines don’t detail a minimum skirt length or a permissible neckline for blouses.

“It’s one of those things that’s hard to define,” Holmes said. “Put it out there and let people know we’re really looking for you to be addressing the issue rather than trying to distract or bring eyes to yourself.”

Holmes said he considered requiring men to wear suits and ties during testimony but decided males didn’t need any guidance.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Xenophon posted:

Should have added a paper bag over the head to the male guidelines

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

that guy probably thinks he's an opponent of sharia law

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
This sounds like a job for my collection of Spongebob ties and life's purpose of serving as a warning to others.

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
what contrived situation can i use to be in a kansas senate bill hearing wearing a miniskirt

it can't be exempted by use v mention, that's too easy, so no miniskirt industry jobs bill

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

if that guy was a muslim i bet he'd grow a lovely patchy beard and they'd all mock him with some islamic version of 'cuck' (i hope radical islamic terrorists use some form of the modern american right's expanded definition of cuckoldry as an insult, it wouldn't be out of character*) and his glasses would fog up and he'd pretend he wasn't crying

*HORSESHOE THEORY

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Xenophon posted:

Beady little wandering eyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Abner Cadaver II posted:

I wonder how that happened

Prior to that map it was actually a Democratic gerrymander, how do you think they kept a majority even in 2010?

• Locked thread