Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Just how dumb are our congressmen and senators
oh my god so dumb
Just Plain Dumb
makin' sacks of hammers look like Albert Einstein
dumb like you wouldn't believe
the kind of dumb where you kind of get a little exasperated thinking about it
View Results

• Locked thread
stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

Cliff Racer posted:

Prior to that map it was actually a Democratic gerrymander, how do you think they kept a majority even in 2010?

a "democratic gerrymander" is just some conurbation with as much rural area as is fairly proximate, so i guess citation needed? http://demography.cpc.unc.edu/2015/11/10/redistricting-north-carolina-in-2011/

there's degrees of gerrymander I suppose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Watch Walmart eat the northwest corner over time

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

stephenfry posted:

a "democratic gerrymander" is just some conurbation with as much rural area as is fairly proximate, so i guess citation needed? http://demography.cpc.unc.edu/2015/11/10/redistricting-north-carolina-in-2011/

there's degrees of gerrymander I suppose

In North Carolina, yeah it is. Look at 2004 where Democrats held onto 6 out of thirteen seats all while losing the presidential race by nine.

In a place like Utah the situation is different and a "pizza pie" style with fairly proximate rural and urban areas is a Republican gerrymander.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Lord of Pie posted:

Watch Walmart eat the northwest corner over time

yeah for some odd reason my district keeps getting more and more republican every year, oh well, Puck The Fairy Dragon again in '16 if there's no democrats running again

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
More state-level shenanigans! Article here.

quote:

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - Gov. Rick Scott would be able to use military power to keep immigrants or refugees from entering Florida if they are from or have been near countries where "invaders" live or train if a bill a House committee approved Wednesday becomes law.

The so-called "Prevention of Acts of War" bill would let the governor declare that certain immigrants and refugees are "restricted people" if he determines they are from countries where he believes invaders want to come to the United States to attack people or property.

The bill (HB 1095) would prohibit any state or local government employee or any person receiving state assistance of any kind, including Medicare, from helping immigrants or refugees entering or resettling in Florida unless the immigrants were born in the Western Hemisphere. Anyone assisting a restricted person would have to turn that person's personal information over to the state. The state would be allowed to monitor restricted people.

"It's hard to dignify a bill like that by debating it," Democratic Rep. Dave Kerner of Lake Worth said after the meeting. "It's unconstitutional, it's offensive, it does nothing for the safety and protection of our state and it's highly ineffective and very subjective. I could go on for hours about problems I have with the bill."

The bill has two more committee stops. A similar Senate bill (SB 1712) hasn't been schedule for its first of three committee hearings, a sign that its prospects are dim.
Basically if passed it would let the governor declare certain human beings "restricted people," but only if they're from the eastern hemisphere (including Brits, the French, Germans, etc.). Then people would legally be required to turn informant on these "restricted people."

• Locked thread