Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

menino posted:

ESPN is not focused on the idea that men and women should be equal. It's focused on entertainment.

When what you see as feminism is just topics that make educated women in Manhattan angry, or signalling from Everydayfeminism on how to appear like a more enlightened liberal (EDUCATE YOURSELF!) it leaves you with the impression that feminism is a crock that is confusing egoism with a concern for egalitarian principles. See: most Hillary pieces by Amanda Marcotte, Sady Doyle, and Jessica Valenti.

Which is unfortunate because that certainly is not what it is.

No it doesn't. The only people that get that impression already had it in the first place, without fail. They wanted to see it and Lo and behold they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

menino posted:

But these particular women writers are all about lifestyle. They see a lovely system and think that the only problem is that women aren't running it.

Yea, these particular unnamed and ambiguous women sure are a big problem all right.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
^^^^^*
Welp!

rudatron posted:

Ultimately I don't think misogyny/misandry/patriarchy are good labels, the theory has evolved to such a point that it's not useful to think of it in terms of 'hate' or 'rulership', but ideology. Like patriarchy isn't an actually coherent system like oligarchy, it's a language, a virus, a set of symbolic associations, a religion, a set of faulty assumptions, etc. Though I know how that must sound, "The etymology is wrong, what a tragedy", but I think it's important to have the right first impression. Which I kind of think is what motivates the thread topic in the first place, as a framing of something to do with the relations between sexes only (which is why the constant refrain to the rape of women getting highlighted is 'well men get raped to'), when the correct framing should be of one ideology versus another - the 'traditionalism' that disempowers women and shits on effeminate men for the sake of enforcing highly constrained & demeaning gender roles, and, well the feminism that seeks to grant people freedom to self-express.

You could have just said "I'm an egalitarian because the label feminism is sexist against men :smuggo:" and saved everyone a lot of time.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 4, 2016

• Locked thread