Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cakebaker
Jul 23, 2007
Wanna buy some cake?
How do abused men even enter the equation here? I'm just unable to grasp it. If you don't conform to the narrative and don't benefit from the structures being railed against then you sure as hell aren't the target, because actual genuinely sad tears are delicious only to psychopaths. What else is there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWrlbRdJsSE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cakebaker
Jul 23, 2007
Wanna buy some cake?

nigga crab pollock posted:

i was in a relationship with a very manipulative person who used victimization as their main leverage for manipulation. even worse for me was she was a huge feminist so im already starting off uphill

a big problem i had after that was trying to discuss that relationship with other peoplhttp://forums.somethingawful.com/private.phpe. despite abusive behaviors being universal, most people only look for them in men. i guess because that's the Narrative for half assed social progressivism? a story that goes counter to that narrative is denied - the woman was gaslighting you? no you were gaslighting her first, she was doing it in response. she was crying at minute things to manipulate you? you just think she's being hysterical you sexist prick. etc.

it doesn't matter if you don't conform to the narrative nor beneft from those structures, because it is assumed that you do by a lot of people
Right, I get how terrible that situation must be and especially feeling like no one takes you seriously. Although to be fair modern theory can absolutely be applied to this, it's not like intersectionality as a concept automatically stops at black queers.
Men aren't alone in being able to both buy into and exploit patriarchal structures and attitudes, of course women can do that too.

My point was, what connects an experience like that to feminists trolling back at dumb sexist regressive men? What binds the abused man to the plight of the abusing man, just because women can also abuse? None it it makes any sense to me.

Also what do you mean by "she was a huge feminist so im already starting off uphill"? I get that she used her politics to somehow justify what she did. But would feminism in itself imply "uphill"?

the trump tutelage posted:

#KillAllMen doesn't leave much room for nuance. If your ironic edginess requires a parenthetical that explains you're not actually talking about the entire group but rather a specific subset of the group then maybe you're the problem, not the person misinterpreting what you're saying.
The parenthetical is in the context, the nuance in the exaggeration. But yes, this is why irony can go wrong when the audience isn't limited to the in-group. But again mainly it's just people trolling back for catharsis so that's half the point of it I guess. I'm not saying it's productive, just that it's inevitable.

Cakebaker fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 6, 2016

• Locked thread