Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Cakebaker posted:

How do abused men even enter the equation here? I'm just unable to grasp it. If you don't conform to the narrative and don't benefit from the structures being railed against then you sure as hell aren't the target, because actual genuinely sad tears are delicious only to psychopaths. What else is there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWrlbRdJsSE

#KillAllMen doesn't leave much room for nuance. If your ironic edginess requires a parenthetical that explains you're not actually talking about the entire group but rather a specific subset of the group then maybe you're the problem, not the person misinterpreting what you're saying.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I like that the "Does ironic misandry trivialize the suffering of domestic abuse victims?" thread is unironically debating the existence of toxic masculinity.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Popular Thug Drink posted:

toxic masculinity is far more real and far more damaging than women posting "lol i want to murder all the men #MurderDicks" on twitter
They're actually both instantiations of The Patriarchy, which is kind of ironic in the case of the latter.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

menino posted:

I still don't get how acknowledging the downsides of patriarchy for men has to imply that women are not hugely adversely affected too.
Noted authority on gender issues Geek Feminism Wiki suggests it's because it's too-often used to silence or derail feminists talking about womens issues by centering the dialog on men. Similar to how #NotAllMen or #AllLivesMatter were attempts to defocus their respective debates.

Which to me sounds more like an issue of when or how it's brought up, not that there is anything necessarily wrong with the assertion that the patriarchy hurts men too.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Luxury Communism posted:

#KillAllMen is not equivalent to #GasTheKikes lmao
Like I said, if your ironic edginess requires a parenthetical that explains you're not actually talking about the entire group but rather a specific subset of the group then maybe you're the problem, not the person misinterpreting what you're saying. It doesn't matter if #KillAllMen doesn't have the same weight as an antisemitic remark, it still normalizes the idea of collective punishment along in-group/out-group lines. It's humorous only because of the power imbalance and the knowledge that the threat is impotent. Shrink that power imbalance (never mind reversing it) and the jokes get a lot more uncomfortable. Nobody would be laughing if black people started tweeting #DieSpicScum.

It's a broken way of thinking.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I don't think anyone actually feels physically threatened by #KillAllMen, but that's not really the point in general or the point of this thread.

e.
Cattle ranchers start tweeting #ButcherAllVegans. It's a real gut-buster.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Popular Thug Drink posted:

really i'm just making fun of people who want to equate mean spirited hashtags with racially motivated murder, like the guy who posted " Shrink that power imbalance (never mind reversing it) and the jokes get a lot more uncomfortable. Nobody would be laughing if black people started tweeting #DieSpicScum."

there's just an unsustainable amount of hyperbole that goes into moving some of the arguments in this thread
So the difference between a "mean spirited" and a murderous tweet is how uncomfortable it makes the reader, not the likelihood of the event taking place, or the broken thinking that produces either.

• Locked thread