Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Popular Thug Drink posted:

go post in AI about how you like to drive around picking up women in your Miata and see what they have to say about that

What do you think they'd have to say about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mmann posted:

I don't know anything about cars, at all, and even I know that the stereotype is that guys in Miatas aren't picking up women.
It's a gay car, you see.

Or a car for ladies depending who you ask.

Stereotypes tend to use gays and ladies pretty interchangeably.

I didn't ask what the stereotype was I asked what AI would say

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mmann posted:

I think they would probably say it was a stupid thing to make a thread about, probably.
I just figured the post was using AI as an offhand example of 'car culture as masculinity' in general.

Yeah I'm just being pedantic over a lazy post, I thought it was funny to bring up AI specifically because they're precisely the wrong example to use. The Miata is hugely popular in that community and they've put in a lot of effort fighting that stereotype.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

wiregrind posted:

my theory of why it's actively avoided: maybe improving men's disadvantages would be creating "more patriarchy" as in helping the male gender. Men must lose privilege, or in the situations where they already have it bad, intentionally stay that way.
Maybe I'm too direct by writing this, I should word it more covertly and ambiguously dog-whistle-ish to fit the misandrist standard.

It seems like a little more thought would tend to lead someone to the conclusion that helping men recognize the emotional harm they're doing to each other and the harm done to them would likewise result in men being more sensitive to the harm they're doing to women.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Popular Thug Drink posted:

you're right about this, #KillAllMen would probably carry more weight as a threat if there had ever at any point in history been a sustained program of violence and oppression targeted at men in general

A sustained program of violence and oppression targeted at men in general, you say!?

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 8, 2016

• Locked thread