Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

menino posted:

I'm not expecting them to cover men's issues. I'm expecting less contempt and derision. E: Same from NYMag, Slate, Guardian. Now you can play no true Scotsman with these sources and say that they are not actually feminist and in some ways I would absolutely agree. But for better or for worse these are actually very popular feminist branded portals with certain classes

the contempt and derision i've seen in a couple articles but they were particularly nasty issues where its kind of expected honestly. ya like they're gonna be tactful when the article is about defunding planned parenthood, lol

a cursory glance at their front page and it's all pretty ok t b h

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

wiregrind posted:

Prankster misandry has no effect on those already comfortable with traditional masculinity. You don't see jocks or athletes complaining about ironic misandry. The ones who talk about it are outcasts, misfits, and men who were abused.

'comfortable with traditional masculinity' is a fuckin joke because if people were comfortable with it they wouldn't get uncomfortable around "the gays," or try to explain how how to change a tire to a woman who is currently changing a tire, or constantly try to reaffirm their power and masculinity to strangers

they are comforted by the status quo but that doesn't mean they are actually comfortable with the status quo

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
or maybe thats just the only way i can imagine people get into dumb chest beating matches idk

my college athletic experience was basically dudes that reaffirm they are Not Gay but find a way to talk about their dilznick and reassure you the woman over there is totally hot and they would bang em'

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Cakebaker posted:

How do abused men even enter the equation here? I'm just unable to grasp it. If you don't conform to the narrative and don't benefit from the structures being railed against then you sure as hell aren't the target, because actual genuinely sad tears are delicious only to psychopaths. What else is there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWrlbRdJsSE

i was in a relationship with a very manipulative person who used victimization as their main leverage for manipulation. even worse for me was she was a huge feminist so im already starting off uphill

a big problem i had after that was trying to discuss that relationship with other people. despite abusive behaviors being universal, most people only look for them in men. i guess because that's the Narrative for half assed social progressivism? a story that goes counter to that narrative is denied - the woman was gaslighting you? no you were gaslighting her first, she was doing it in response. she was crying at minute things to manipulate you? you just think she's being hysterical you sexist prick. etc.

it doesn't matter if you don't conform to the narrative nor beneft from those structures, because it is assumed that you do by a lot of people

nigga crab pollock fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 6, 2016

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
its because its easier to explain the little details than the big picture. many people do not realize that the little details are not the big picture

you can sum up the entirety of social progressivism as "don't be an rear end in a top hat to people different from you" but hey that's too broad, so we have to narrow it down further into easier to distribute memetic packages. hastags or whatever are one aspect of a broader issue that many people are attempting to draw attention to, but you end up with petty arguments on twitter about WELL IF BLACK LIVES MATTER WHAT ABOUT BLUE LIVES because the were never thinking about the broader issue that hashtag was supposed to represent

i guess you could boil feminism down to 'the patriarchy is poo poo' but it seems most rhetoric boils down to 'men are poo poo.' yeah if you are capable of looking past a surface-level discussion you would see that the 'men are poo poo' misandry is mostly ironic and sometimes its a pretty scathing deconstruction of patriarchal behavior. but to most people it just exists as it does on the surface, a bunch of bitter squabbling about men, and that is what people argue about and parrot

nigga crab pollock fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 6, 2016

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Cakebaker posted:

My point was, what connects an experience like that to feminists trolling back at dumb sexist regressive men? What binds the abused man to the plight of the abusing man, just because women can also abuse? None it it makes any sense to me.

Also what do you mean by "she was a huge feminist so im already starting off uphill"? I get that she used her politics to somehow justify what she did. But would feminism in itself imply "uphill"?

For the purposes of this discussion in this thread a specific distinction has been made - but most of the time that distinction does not exist

Also, because a lot of poo poo that happened was hilariously twisted textbook feminist issues. Usually making out my actions to be Problematic Patriarchal Perturbations (you're trying to Bodyshame me by not sleeping with me on my period in a hotel room) when I was just trying to assert my boundaries. That's a tough cookie.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

rudatron posted:

Also re:gaslighting, you've got to be careful about assuming 'gas-lighting' is happening, because human memory is unreliable. It is often self-serving and will miss crucial details, and this can happen involuntarily.

im taking about straight up purposeful manipulation of one person's perception with elaborate lies, passive aggressive button pressing, strange responses to normal behavior that make you question if what you did was normal or not, and dismissing the other party's concerns off the bat while demanding all their concerns be met. not just petty squabbling over minutae both parties remembered differently - straight up abusive behavior.

i just gave all of that poo poo the benefit of the doubt - which in this case was not a healthy thing to do - until i ran across some chat logs that made me re-evaluate what happened.

'you've got to be careful to assume its happening' is a very dangerous mindset.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Blue Star posted:

I don't think so. I don't think anyone chastises men for showing emotions, not even other men. If a guy gets upset, people typically give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that he has a good reason. Women aren't given that luxury; if a woman gets pissed or upset, people just think she's hysterical or a bitch. Even when men just break down and cry, people think they're brave for doing it in front of them.

It's like, people just assume that men are the stoic ones, so when men show emotion it's considered really brave and "strong". But in my experience it's men who show emotion all the time anyway and can't control themselves, while women always have to be more measured and reserved.

'what are you, pussy' 'cmon dude don't be a bitch'

not quite related but a favorite
'i cant drive a jetta ill get made fun of for driving a girl car!"

it depends on the environment you are in though. the acceptance of men showing emotion is a response to the traditional male ideal of a stoic emotionless killing machine, it's a relatively new idea tbh. in an environment that isn't male dominated you can get away with it but try doing any of that in a garage or in a gym. no, really.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
aint nothin wrong with jettas except maybe VW engineering but they are simply just not aggressively styled cars.

to be MANLY you gotta drive a car with aggressive angry headlights and sharp fins and spikes and angles on it, or a REALLY BIG truck, otherwise it is a car for women.

why do you think so many idiots dress up their shitbox 90s imports as street racers? because a 90s imports are the most benign car in existance and they must MUST make it agressive with a fartbox and a body kit otherwise it threatens their masculinity or something

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i no joke was having a discussion with some rando buying brake lights at autozone and i said something along the lines of 'yeah s-10s are pretty decent, i'd consider buying a small truck or something. they seem pretty fun' and the dude just looked at me like i had cast some black magick spell to unleash an army of malevolent spirits upon the land. in the land of Trucks, you gotta go big or go home. none of that import or small truck poo poo. musta been some euro-pee-in or fag or somethin

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Mmann posted:

I don't know anything about cars, at all, and even I know that the stereotype is that guys in Miatas aren't picking up women.
It's a gay car, you see.

Or a car for ladies depending who you ask.

Stereotypes tend to use gays and ladies pretty interchangeably.

funny thing with the miata its actually a fantastic car so lots of people buy em, but thAT specific subset that CANNOT drive cars that are unmanly go out of their way to make their miata look aggressive. lower it, stance it, put racing stripes on it, and most importantly of all - you gotta get rid of the cute eyes. the cutesy eyes have got to go.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Popular Thug Drink posted:

you're right about this, #KillAllMen would probably carry more weight as a threat if there had ever at any point in history been a sustained program of violence and oppression targeted at men in general

you do realize that continuously arguing that men cannot be victimized by social norms because they were not specifically targeted by those norms is giving evidence to most the arguments in this thread, right?

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

if there had ever at any point in history been a sustained program of violence and oppression targeted at men in general

i guess all those gay lynchings were just regular ol' murders then

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Ddraig posted:

Funnily enough not even men get the worst deal out of war

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wartime_sexual_violence

wait...

war is... BAD???

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
lol that the thread about how discussion of domestic abuse towards men is deflected and belittled is being actively derailed and dismissed

the irony is lost in a sea of shitposts about how actually, Terrible Thing is much, much worse than Terrible Thing and therefore Terrible Thing is not worth discussing.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

i'm just not seeing how blog posts and hashtags are indicative of a social disregard for male domestic abuse victims. it seems like a great big leap from one to the other that's largely touted by people who for one reason or another have a chip on their shoulder re: females

those hashtags don't indicate the social disregard though. the disregard is already there. i dont think anyone is arguing that it causes some grand looming harm because thats asinine, but they are arguing that it doesn't do any good and it kind of makes some people feel like poo poo

i don't feel like i have a chip on my shoulder about women, but i definitely have a chip on my shoulder, specifically about this aspect of ~The Patriarchy~;

railtus posted:

Any accounts that do not conform to the narrative can be dismissed as weak whiny losers failing at being men, and since they're whiny their problems are not real, meaning they can be ignored. Once that mentality is in place, men who don't benefit from the existing social structures are viewed as objects of scorn rather than sympathy.

its all in the context of a society whose expected response is to dismiss your experiences and belittle you. the people who champion the fall of this social construct use the exact same methods of belittling as that social construct except for completely different reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Wulfolme posted:

It gets ugly when the new politics of sensitivity get boiled down to "It's OK when the right people do it."

this defining of 'right people to say Thing' i think makes individuals more likely to gravitate towards those definitions so they have an excuse if/when they come under scrutiny. i never considered myself anything other than an american but my sister started calling herself russian-american and it's basically only to take a couple steps up (down? sideways?) on the Privilege Ladder. "im not working class im eurotrash thank you very much!!!"

if you want to go loving crazy with that thought - what about gender and sexual identity? now that alternatives are gaining mainstream acceptance and in some very specific circumstances provide leverage does this increase in alternative identities represent people who are finally expressing themselves fully? or are people just slapping a superfluous definition and special name on their heteronormative behavior to move their place on this hypothetical privilege ladder?

ive been half expecting the anti-lgbt crowd to come up with an argument similar to that to fearmonger because it feeds into their narrative. in schools especially.

nigga crab pollock fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Mar 8, 2016

• Locked thread