Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

menino posted:

When what you see as feminism is just topics that make educated women in Manhattan angry, or signalling from Everydayfeminism on how to appear like a more enlightened liberal (EDUCATE YOURSELF!) it leaves you with the impression that feminism is a crock that is confusing egoism with a concern for egalitarian principles. See: most Hillary pieces by Amanda Marcotte, Sady Doyle, and Jessica Valenti.

Oh my god yes. A lot of the popular feminism stuff is really ends-justify-the-means type arguments for policies that promote the social status of women. It's totally self-serving. They make it sound a lot more noble though by co-opting egalitarian language and by obfuscating ugly aspects of the ideology with jargon terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Blue Star posted:

I don't think so. I don't think anyone chastises men for showing emotions, not even other men. If a guy gets upset, people typically give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that he has a good reason. Women aren't given that luxury; if a woman gets pissed or upset, people just think she's hysterical or a bitch. Even when men just break down and cry, people think they're brave for doing it in front of them.

It's like, people just assume that men are the stoic ones, so when men show emotion it's considered really brave and "strong". But in my experience it's men who show emotion all the time anyway and can't control themselves, while women always have to be more measured and reserved.

I think this kind of attitude is what some of the posters are complaining about this this thread. It's this compulsion to construct the narrative where women are always the biggest victims of society in like every aspect and that men experience no hardship whatsoever.

• Locked thread