Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wiregrind
Jun 26, 2013

Prankster misandry has no effect on those already comfortable with traditional masculinity, you don't see them complaining about ironic misandry. The ones who talk about it are outcasts, misfits, and men who were abused.

wiregrind fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiregrind
Jun 26, 2013

menino posted:

Jocks AND athletes (not sure how that's different) don't really make sense as a category past about age 25 anyway.
That's true, I just wanted to imply people who don't have a problem with and fit within traditional masculinity roles.

wiregrind fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 5, 2016

wiregrind
Jun 26, 2013

Ironic misandry is just comedy and not serious. The proper thing to do is to trivialize and gaslight the experiences of abused men in a non-aggresive way. Wait... Is that ironic comedy too?

wiregrind
Jun 26, 2013

the trump tutelage posted:

#KillAllMen doesn't leave much room for nuance. If your ironic edginess requires a parenthetical that explains you're not actually talking about the entire group but rather a specific subset of the group then maybe you're the problem, not the person misinterpreting what you're saying.

How dare you misinterpret vague ironic insults written en masse and broadly spread through online text... Such lack of understanding of irony in text only proves that you're even worse than the people that we were originally complaining about! You confirm that you're part of them!

(This post may, or may not, be partially or completely ironic. Also if it ends up being a problem, it might turn out to be just a silly unimportant joke)

wiregrind fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Mar 7, 2016

wiregrind
Jun 26, 2013

menino posted:

I still don't get how acknowledging the downsides of patriarchy for men has to imply that women are not hugely adversely affected too.

my theory of why it's actively avoided: maybe improving men's disadvantages would be creating "more patriarchy" as in helping the male gender. Men must lose privilege, or in the situations where they already have it bad, intentionally stay that way.
Maybe I'm too direct by writing this, I should word it more covertly and ambiguously dog-whistle-ish to fit the misandrist standard.

wiregrind fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 7, 2016

wiregrind
Jun 26, 2013

Popular Thug Drink posted:

toxic masculinity is far more real and far more damaging than women posting "lol i want to murder all the men #MurderDicks" on twitter

yeah, I mean those complaining should just suck it up already...

wiregrind
Jun 26, 2013

it's fine to complain about random people's internet opinions but it's pretty, weird, to build from that into rampant and violent misandry

i mean there are lots of not-internet, irl examples of entrenched misogyny but when it comes time to talk about how women damage men it's like "jezebel! cosmo! i got yelled at on tumblr once!"
It's funny that you went from "toxic masculinity is real and bad" to "I have never seen an example of it, or anyone talking about it"
I will assume that you still believe that there is something real, damaging, and worth talking about.
Not saying that the online-only stupidity you mean isn't real though.
I agree that sadly the conversation gets centered on petty fights.

But I point out how, in one way or another, anything barely reminiscent of men's issues ends up quickly and swiftly silenced, ridiculed, ignored or dismissed within the many facets of feminism. Varied reasons but always the same result.
Also how usually those men who want to be heard are usually either victims or outcasts, and those who are comfortable in their own traditional roles don't seem to care or feel challenged at all.

wiregrind fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiregrind
Jun 26, 2013

Railtus posted:

different sets of rationalisations and justifications for fundamentally very similar attitudes by people who depend upon that social construct and in many cases who are that social construct. Same system, different decoration. We have gotten in this thread a hammering of "men should shrug off their problems and focus on women's issues", which lines up very effectively with the traditionalist-conservative belief that men should be stoic and that men as a class are collectively responsible for safety and happiness of women as a class collectively.
When addressing men, feminism turns into traditionalism. It's a bit ironic by itself.

there's just an unsustainable amount of hyperbole that goes into moving some of the arguments in this thread
I wonder if it's actually unsustainable hyperbole and exaggeration... Or if you're painting it as such to imply that it's trivial.
I'd argue that the people defending the way feminism rationalizes traditionalism are the ones holding the unsustainable argument.

menino posted:

I guess I am contrasting 'liberal' with 'left'. I have no expectations of decency from most of the right.
Liberals have to be contrasted with conservatives to give the impression of being on the left.

wiregrind fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Mar 9, 2016

• Locked thread