Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I tend to view the whole "bathing in male tears" schtick as basically self indulgent, and mostly it seems to be a way for particular female bloggers to differentiate themselves in a crowded market place. For a younger generation of feminists who came of age on the internet, where sarcasm, irony and hyper violent imagery are all common forms of discourse it should hardly be surprising that someone would offer up this kind of rhetoric. I suspect its a good way to get more page views for your advertisers or to top off your patreon account.

Maybe the better question is: how is this different than a million other ways that leftists have found to alienate people outside their core audience? And why might it be that this particular example upsets us more than the ramblings of some out of touch Maoist or self righteous vegan environmentalist? Probably, at least in part, it's because as men we can't help but feel slightly unsettled when we're specifically targeted and rhetorically attacked by women.

I definitely think it's ludicrous when anyone tries to pretend that jokes about "bathing in male tears" are actually going to accomplish anything but by the same token I don't think there's anything here worth getting worked up about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread