Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

menino posted:

PTD keeps making my point for me: "If it's not as bad for group X, we should not focus on their experience until group Y's ills are completely eradicated"

Just an occasional acknowledgement of things would go a long way but it is almost burned into the liberal psyche not to cede on this. When you are constantly having your experiences negated, and the only people you hear talking about them are the online wingnuts of Gamergate, you end up with radicalization that wouldn't otherwise happen.

Why do you keep slipping 'liberal' in there? Do you genuinely see this as a 'liberal' thing? It's not like people who aren't liberals are all about aknowledging and drawing attention to issues concerning male victims of domestic abuse (or victims of elderly abuse, or prisoner abuse or any other kind of abuse). To characterise this as some kind of liberal hivemind thing suggests that there is an alternative non-liberal group who are doing a better job of not trivialising or minimising the suffering of others. Is that the case? I'm sure there are individual groups of people advocating for these kind of things, but you're not going to be able to sell the idea that it's some kind of charecteristic of non-liberal thinking.

I'm as liberal as gently caress and I agree with a lot of what you're saying from the start, "Patriarchy is harmful to both men and women, and of course especially to women." Absolutely. As a father to a young son I'm particularly interested in the harmful affects of society's perception of masculinity and rape culture and all that on him as a person and the person he will become and sometimes it's really hard to talk about this without being accused of being all "what about the mens?" (and if I bring it up in some discussions it's a response I deserve). And yes.... it's usually liberals making that accusation, but that's because it's only liberals having that conversation in the first place rather than it being part of the liberal psyche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Dreylad posted:

Happy International Women's Day, everyone.

To celebrate I'm going to watch Back to the Future with my son and have a really uncomfortable discussion why Marty McFly was going to pretend to rape his mother, to trick her into falling in love with someone and I was completely OK with that when I watched the movie as a teenager about 100 years ago. That's totally not on topic so Happy International Women's Day everyone.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 8, 2016

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

rudatron posted:

What would be a good international women's day movie? Where are the cinema nerds when you need them? And don't say 'cinema discussio', we both know that's not true.

Just pick any academy award Best Picture winners that were directed by a woman and pass the Bechdal Test and you should be good to go.

• Locked thread