Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
im afraid that federer will cool down during this long break and lose his edge and lose the match and possibly die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

I think this delay just fucks Federer. He had momentum but now it lets Djokovic get his poo poo back together. I'm afraid Federer is gonna come back to Earth again and this set is gonna end up a rout like the first two.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Just say no to gluten, Roger. Give in to the gluten-free side. There is power there, Roger, power beyond your wildest dreams.

Buddy Holly
Oct 14, 2004

I am still determined to be cheerful and happy. Run along now.
This is going to be like the first set again, isn't it.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Did they even fully close the roof or did they just waste everyone's time by partially closing it to make full closing it take less time later?

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
the russo-sicilian mafia connections run so deep that they've infiltrated all of tennis australia. these delays are more attempts to ensure djokovics victory

Buddy Holly
Oct 14, 2004

Federer's got this, guys, 18 incoming.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
this match is full of :suspense:

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

That return from Djokovic was unreal and then Federer won it somehow.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
well, gently caress

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Welp thanks for at least making it a match roger

Buddy Holly
Oct 14, 2004

Buddy Holly posted:

Tennis sucks.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Can't curb the Serb.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

Well that loving sucked.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

He'll thrash Serena in the final you wait and see.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
wrap it up federailures

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
gently caress this doped up sport.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
lol, I just came out of the shower and said to myself "wow, they are still on serve in the fourth".

Then Federer gets broken and loses the match in the next game.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
The 3rd set owned but the rest was forgettable. rip fed

Buddy Holly
Oct 14, 2004

Congratulations Novack Dopervic and Serena Dopilliams on your calendar slams.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I don't follow tennis all that closely but is there any logic behind claiming "the doping 28 year old can only beat the clean 34 year old because he cheated"

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Starting to think I should root for Raonic tomorrow because I would hate to see Murray lose yet another final here, and you know he will. :smith: Let Milos have a crack at it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

xbilkis posted:

I don't follow tennis all that closely but is there any logic behind claiming "the doping 28 year old can only beat the clean 34 year old because he cheated"

Tennis is a dirty sport. At least the Spainards seem to have mysteriously vanished recently.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

The logic is that the guy became unbeatable when he "quit gluten". However, in this match - and every other GS encounter they've had the last few years - Federer beats himself.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

xbilkis posted:

googling "novak djokovic doping" got me this http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2015/11/djokovic-describes-demands-anti-doping-program/56822/

tennis is poo poo at testing

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Jose posted:

googling "novak djokovic doping" got me this http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2015/11/djokovic-describes-demands-anti-doping-program/56822/

And once again: every major sport took one quick look at what happened to the Tour de France/cycling — the backlash, the lost money, the outrage in the media — and decided, "Nah, we're good". If testing and catching dopers only helps to sink your sport, there won't be any serious testing.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Jack's Flow posted:

And once again: every major sport took one quick look at what happened to the Tour de France/cycling — the backlash, the lost money, the outrage in the media — and decided, "Nah, we're good". If testing and catching dopers only helps to sink your sport, there won't be any serious testing.

the media were only too happy to look at the domination of the sport, the insanely long rallies, the punishingly endurance-based baseline play, and say it was a golden age of the sport

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Oh yeah, I totally get having a suspicious eye toward the sport as a whole. It just seems weird to me to go "man, this dude in the prime of his career is obviously doping - if there was any justice in the world, the almost equally fit much older guy would be winning fair and square"

I saw that Federer had made some calls for increased testing but still

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
If you think Federer isn't also doping then I don't know what to tell you.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...

xbilkis posted:

Oh yeah, I totally get having a suspicious eye toward the sport as a whole. It just seems weird to me to go "man, this dude in the prime of his career is obviously doping - if there was any justice in the world, the almost equally fit much older guy would be winning fair and square"

I saw that Federer had made some calls for increased testing but still

In djokovic's case I will always remember when he used to retire during matches quite often, I'm pretty sure he has a retirement slam since he's retired during a match at each grand slam and some of his reasons were suspect and just gave the impression he couldn't be arsed. Then he went from that into some unbeatable endurance monster.

My favourite of his retirements was against Fed I think in Monte Carlo when he retired with a 'sore throat'.

Also just make the sport pro doping and give the players lines of cocaine between sets and we'll see some interesting matches.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jose posted:

I, too, would be pissed if I had to report my location every single day of the year.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

charismaslover posted:

In djokovic's case I will always remember when he used to retire during matches quite often, I'm pretty sure he has a retirement slam since he's retired during a match at each grand slam and some of his reasons were suspect and just gave the impression he couldn't be arsed. Then he went from that into some unbeatable endurance monster.

My favourite of his retirements was against Fed I think in Monte Carlo when he retired with a 'sore throat'.

Also just make the sport pro doping and give the players lines of cocaine between sets and we'll see some interesting matches.

To be fair, given the allegations of match fixing and how players would 'retire' which forced all bets to be void and people to get their money back, it makes far more sense for it to be that.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

charismaslover posted:

personally i prefer not watching people have heart attacksand die live but maybe thats just me.

murray needs del potro to recover and somehow get back to his previous form since the only times he's beaten djokovic in a final is after del potro took him to 5 sets iirc

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
This is a great start from Raonic. Maybe Murray will be spared another heartbreaking AO final loss.

Jose posted:

murray needs del potro to recover and somehow get back to his previous form since the only times he's beaten djokovic in a final is after del potro took him to 5 sets iirc

He also beat him at the USO 2012 after Djokovic defeated Ferrer in the semis. But Del Potro also tired out Federer at the Olympics that year in a marathon match and Murray subsequently beat Fed in straights.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Murray sure is a whiny bastard.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

raonic looks like a rentboy

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
That shot :stare:

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Shock incoming? Murray pissed away some good opportunities in the third set.

I didn't watch any of the Federer/Djoko match as I knew my heart would get broken again. Good decision.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

A very good decision.

If this goes to five, Murray will whine his way to victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Aw gently caress I missed the break getting some tea.

e: Raonic looks deflated.

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jan 29, 2016

• Locked thread