Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Force de Fappe posted:

Use thick folded-up kitchen towels to hold the oyster and use a strong, short knife with a blunt, hard point. Oyster shucking knives are optimal. I just use my diving gloves in thick reinforced neoprene and my diving knife.

I had oysters for the first time last May in NOLA at the french market. (I always refused to eat them anywhere that's not at the sea due to freshness so Munich oysters at 3€ a pieve? no thanks...)
I actually tried 4 different styles:
- raw: since I had never had one before and wanted the unadultered flavour, was OK
- with lemon: was really nice
- with hot sauce: I don't like this as it totally killed the oyster flavour and even a tiny bit made it taste like salty hot sauce
- char broiled: these were really nice as well

However, I am not seeing the special appeal of oysters as a luxury food they have here in Germany. (Pretentious idiots like to sit down in the deli department of local stores and pay 12€ for 3 oysters and a glass of champagne, then swallow them whole without even appreciating the flavour.)
They are tasty but nowhere near lobster or other good seafood for me. I might eat them more often if I lived by the sea where they are fresh and much cheaper, but as is, I can live without them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Quisty posted:

Did you go during the Oyster Festival? We went last year and hopefully again this year. We had grilled oysters for the first time (we usually like them raw) with garlic and butter and bread to sop it all up...oh gawd was it good!

Can't wait to go back.

No but the NOLA food festival was on the same weekend. Oh my the stuff I ate. Beef yakamen (spelling) and crawfish Mac and cheese. Ribs, fish taco, gator, gumbo, jambalaya...
Honestly it was so great because I practically had sample of all famous foods on one day.

• Locked thread