Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Hey kids! Just like, Bart, yeah? Ha ha! Who's ready to carpool to soccer practice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

this is such a really great & amazing episode

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Please cyber bully that guy more actually

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

kidcoelacanth posted:

I rather enjoy the flophouse and probably wouldn't have started on it if not for their guest adventure zone. Also Elliot's voice is way less irritating on the show than in the ad.

Counterpoint: I couldn't listen to their guest Adventure Zone because of Elliot's voice.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If people have enough audio Stockholm Syndrome that they can enjoy that podcast, more power to you. I would rather not be taken hostage in the first place.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

myron cope posted:

I actually heard that one, I guess maybe I skip if it sounds lame? I dunno. I don't usually listen.

And I don't listen to any moneyzone stuff for TAZ despite loving Griffin. Since it's just him there isn't really a chance for great goofs so I just skip it all

Griffin has a real tendency to babble nervously when it's just him, not only are the taz moneyzone spots not funny they're kind of sad and off putting.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SpacePig posted:

I only ever listen to 2 non-McElroy Max Fun shows, are there ads for MBMBaM? I've never heard one. The TAZ ones are definitely the best ads on the network, because they're actually funny in the ad, but JJHo and SPY have had some half-decent ones, too.

I heard an ad for mbmbam on another show once, it ended with Griffin lamenting that they had thirty seconds for this ad and "we did racism, imagine what we can do with a whole hour". It was pretty funny but I don't know how that would read to a person who didn't already love the McElroy bros.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Judge John Hodgman has pretty good ads because he lists a few of the disputes he's heard and you get a pretty good sense of his style of humor from the way he talks about it. Mbmbam would probably be better advertised by a brief sample of the questions they get.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

It comes off as charming if you, like me, have a big crush on Griffin and want to put your mouth on his mouth. Just a cool tip!

I cannot make use of this tip, he's married. You're breaking the law

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The mango was amazing though.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Do you guys ever feel weird or creepy for knowing this much about these guys? I re-listen to old episodes a lot and basically I have compiled a thorough mental profile of the McElroy bros and their family at this point and sometimes I feel a little weird about that

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

zimbomonkey posted:

Never as weird as I would if I'd been named after them

I'm a little bit older than Travis McElroy so I can claim I was here first.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Remember when they used to make jokes about Griffin being a sad, lonely boy :unsmith:

The lady siesta years. I also remember Justin especially has said some real hosed up things about having kids that I hope bite him square in the rear end when his daughter gets old enough to listen.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Brexit is just the most recent terrible bullshit that's happened. 2016 has been a completely awful year and that's what I think they were talking about.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Where does Justin's nickname "juice" come from?

All of their nicknames come from their childhood days and I don't think they've ever gone into their origins, even though Scraps and Ditto are fairly easy to assume from context.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

well why not posted:

can someone explain what 'things i bought at sheetz' is?

Justin buys a food and eats it on camera. His good friend Dwight must read his expression and deduce if Justin liked the food. Things escalate quickly.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Klaarg was upset about being charmed but the gang did set him free in that garage. I assumed that's why he helped them out in the race.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Toxxupation posted:

I think the most interesting part of a Groundhog's Day scenario is characters approaching the same or similar event in different ways with knowledge gained from looping (like, what Magnus did at the very beginning), and the least interesting is when it's treated like a quicksave function. So although I liked the puzzle game element I'm more frustrated that this whole arc is already leaning on "I try this, we all died, okay now I try THIS." It's both boring and completely removes the stakes of the story because there's absolutely zero punishment for failure.

Well the alternative is every single episode is a loop and the podcast is identical episodes with minor differences for literal years until they get it right.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Toxxupation posted:

I think the best solution would've been not introducing puzzles with lethal failstates (or puzzles that took advantage of its setup, sorta like how the first "puzzle" the group had to solve was getting out of/being prevented from being thrown in jail). I also like it when the puzzle is Majora's Mask-y like figuring out how to do stuff or get to a location faster over a straight up solve or die scenario like this episode was chock full of. Death is the least interesting failure state in this arc over wasting time or being inefficient.

I'm sure there will be a decent amount of that but even Groundhog Day had a montage of Phil dying repeatedly with basically nothing else changing from day to day. I haven't seen that Edge of Tomorrow movie but from what I gather it's basically this

e: also as a DM, having created a scenario where you can kill your heroes freely, of course he's going to do it. He even kind of has to, the grim reaper dude from CK stated that they'd all died dozens of times, it'd be a plot hole now if they didn't.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Beard Yawn posted:

Only one episode a week is a bummer though. :smith:

If Tomodachi Survivor had kept up that kind of schedule it'd be finished by now.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Polygon is actually good and cool to read.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

misadventurous posted:

Polygon's written articles put me right to sleep but they put out top-notch audio/video content so I just chalk it up to having great/funny staff that are better at speaking & performing than writing.
Like I have read multiple reviews by Griffin and Justin that did nothing for me but then Monster Factory is the funniest game video series in existence (gamegrumps eat your hearts out).

Have you ever read Justin writing about a game he absolutely hated? The tie-in to the new Ghostbusters movie is the most recent example but there's a few of them.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

ImPureAwesome posted:

iirc isn't 2's creator supposed to be better featured than 3's?

2 has the gender slider and a few other decent advantages over 3 but 2 is also almost unplayable on pc without some modding. I'm assuming 3 was easier to get rolling.

Plus 3 is more fun to play

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Saints Row 3 is still the best GTA ever, sorry

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Team_q posted:

Nah bud, Bully is the best GTA, followed by Red Dead Redemption, sorry

I don't think there's rocket launchers in either of those games

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Guy Mann posted:

Is this the first episode they've done where the big goof of the episode was just recounting a thing that they did with their kid?

Well there was a lot of goofs in the episode besides that but even saying leading with an anecdote about fatherhood, not even close. The first one I remember is Glass Shark which is from right after the kid was born, so like two years ago.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Him gassing himself with cat litter or getting hit by a car while carrying cold cuts are both way better

The one where he slices his butt open on a screen window and they have to duct-tape a maxi-pad to his butt is my favorite

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Tatum Girlparts posted:

the cold cuts flying everywhere story being compared to a mafia hit in a movie or whatever was genuinely one of the funniest things in the show and I can't even remember when it was.

Ep 109, Flapjack Nickelsack. They probably talk about it in a few episodes but there's a ton of Clint stories right at the beginning of this one.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Coffee And Pie posted:

That's the one with "hat-wearing geekaboy" as well

which he yelled, quietly, from inside the car with the windows up, because we're Baptist

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

You've got to listen to it from the beginning. You will miss out on some of the classic touchstones of the franchise like Hey Jeffrey, walnut pleasure, and the ABBA song.

MBMBAM is very good very quickly. There's only a small handful I would call clunkers out of like three hundred episodes now.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Adventure Zone officially better than MBMBAM now. Gat dang that was an amazing episode.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

atomicthumbs posted:

let's have a discussion about the ethics of using a mind control backdoor on a charming and friendly earth elemental

It seems very bad to me. I do wonder if they are going to be able to solve Griffin's time puzzle without using it though. I hope they are able to execute a final loop where they help everyone with their problems. Or at least that it works out Majora's Mask style and cherry-picks the best parts of all your loops.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Whizbang posted:

Will they form Fierce Deity Merle?

I think we learned last episode Merle's deity is pretty fierce already.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

When they do it to Angus it's cute.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Poopy Palpy posted:

:ssh: you also need to spend an hour casting it

Not if you have really expensive gems.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

showbiz_liz posted:

So the old woman with the chalice has got to be that little girl, right? And possibly she is also the temple 'goddess' at the same time?

I believe the old woman who keeps bringing them back is June but Istus is an actual D&D goddess, she's not something Griffin made up for the storyline. I think it is pretty unlikely she will turn out to be the Goddess as well.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Morpheus posted:

So I'm caught up on all podcasts Mcelroy (and others as well but...pfft) for the first time since September of last year and gently caress me, having to actually wait for these like...like some sort of peasant is rough. Especially given how good the last Adventure Zone ep was.

Have you dug into Justin and Griffin's polygon stuff? They've got tons of overview videos up there. Monster Factory, Griffin's amiibo corner, etc. Plus a lot of Griffin solo videos, and the stuff he does with Nick Robinson is all worth listening to.

What about Things I Bought At Sheetz?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

that last Car Boys might be the funniest thing I've ever seen in my life

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Imagine all the mra/gator types who hate polygon because it is part of the robocop conspiracy to destroy video games watching Car Boys or Monster Factory taking notes trying to figure out how they are secretly pushing a feminist agenda by spawning hundreds of ghost children in a forest and ripping a bus driver's head off by accident

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

:regd08: