Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

thanks for the strats griff i was havin some real trouble on the capra demon!!! monster factory this week is both fun AND educational

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm listening to til death do us blart again

Man that's a good podcast

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Lucas is a loving dick

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

the best pokemon is, of course, ludicolo

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

did you seriously just post some dunsparce bullshit

get that horseshit out of here

ludicolo, motherfucker

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

geodude shouldn't be the face are you crazy

he's a fuckin rock with arms and he shows up a billion times in every fuckin cave

i mean i'm not "big" on pikachu but it's a good public face for the brand in being a cutesy pokemon that makes the game look fun and inventive and, most importantly, isn't a fuckin rock with fuckin arms

plus the replacement pikachus - plusle, minun, marill to an extent, emolga, pachirisu - they all suck

i mean sure pikachu might not be the best public face nowadays in the sense of its power (although its brand recognition is through the roof), but i dunno what I'd replace it with

lucario? ampharos, maybe? charizard? mewtwo, i guess?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Shadowrun destroyed harmontown yeah

To be fair it destroyed a segment that wasn't working already considering that nobody gave a poo poo about it, it was getting less and less onscreen time, and kumail had basically disappeared from the show entirely so. Yeah

I do agree though that switching systems outside of extremely extenuating circumstances can kill podcasts. Right now I'm trying to get through friends at the table and although dungeon world sounds like a fun game to play, making up the world and lore communally is some dire, dire radio

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

i enjoy how griffin went from looking like a boy wizard into an actual human being, travis went from Chad McHankerston of Pheta Pheta Kai, BREWSKI ME UP DUDERS into "crazy mountain man", and Justin stayed exactly the loving same

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Travis343 posted:

One of my biggest issues with stuff like Blue Apron is that it's marketed to a very specific type of person - younger, affluent, yet sheltered, because they can afford to pay a premium to have other people do things they don't know how to do themselves, via the internet, rather than using that same internet to learn how to do/make whatever product they're buying. This person also, often paradoxically so, likes to think of themselves as 'ahead of the pack' because they rely on Internet services rather than 'brick and mortar' services, which are seen as part of the establishment. They're participating in an economy of such extreme privilege that they're paying Internet people to send them the basic staples of self-sufficiency and adulthood while at the same time getting to think of themselves as socially advanced people.

hmm, good point. alternatively: who the gently caress cares

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

okay just for funsies explain to me how it's materially different to order from blue apron versus using amazon prime direct to order all the ingredients for whatever meal you're cooking

I'll await your tortured justification for the former being more immoral than the latter

Travis343 posted:

I'm sure there's a startup working on that right now. Disrupt!

also in-home food delivery services have been around since what, the early fuckin' nineties

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

those fuckin millenials, updating a service that's been concepted and utilized for decades at this point! lazy privilege! grrrr!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Travis343 posted:

Well amazon doesn't sell raw meat and vegetables, I don't think.

it does, that's what amazon prime direct does

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

sorry, "AmazonFresh", that's what it's apparently called

on top of apps like InstaCart being an update for whatever grocery outlets marketed to housewives in the suburbs in the sixties in-home grocery delivery services

at this point you're whining about something that's been in existence for, what, half a century or more

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Travis343 posted:

Well this is really losing the point of what I said in the first place, being able to get groceries delivered isn't the same thing as a subscription service that plans your meals for you and sends you everything you need to do it short of turning the oven on for you

so, pressing one button to order a meal online is materially different than pressing several buttons to google a recipe, then search for the ingredients on amazon fresh

k

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

whew, at first i was gonna order spaghetti from blue apron, but then i pressed ctrl+t and searched "spaghetti recipe"

those extra clicks have turned me from a filthy privileged millenial into a proud evolution of the first hunter-gatherers

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

This weeks adventure zone is mother loving incredible

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It's Barbara, the guy that taako killed because he did a horrible impression of little jerry

Also yes the guy they killed in gold cliff then dumped the body

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Can I become an anti-donor

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I really wanna play that harvest moon game with procedurally generated dungeons you grow that griffin mentioned

That's like seriously the best idea ever holy loving poo poo

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

SpacePig posted:

After I got bored of that Stardew Valley video, I skipped to the end to see if Justin every ended up finding the fun. I get the feeling he didn't.

he couldn't figure out how fishing worked, so it's an automatic failure

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Mine is called "S'all Bones", my folksy homeopathy-based podcast

S'all bones, you see! My fruit-nut smoothie blend with ginger can fix your cancer right up!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Spaced God posted:

So if I want to get into TAZ, do I have to start from episode 1? Or do they reset the campaign from time to time?

It's all one campaign. You want to start from episode 1, because the first episodes are by far the weakest (well, until an episode or two in Crystal Kingdom where Griffin basically stops the campaign and goofs for storytime in a really inartful way, but whatever it's clearly necessary for THE CANON). To be clear, they're still loving great, but you definitely want to start with Here There Be Gerblins since it's him doing a premade adventure and he hasn't come up with his own internal canon yet so the jump in quality once Griffin pulls away from Typical Fantasy poo poo is stronger.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I seriously think that most people should go with the extended cut of episode 1, to be honest. It flows well and never really felt bloated. A little unfocused, sure, but unlike say Nerd Poker or Friends at the Table (both of which DESPERATELY needed really ruthless editing just to approach coherency, much less enjoyability), both of which have AWFUL chargen episodes, TAZ's is relatively quick and feels pretty tight, if just a bit goofy.

I dunno. I quit Harmontown when it switched systems, and never actually got into Nerd Poker or FatT (the latter I seriously tried to like and just couldn't). TAZ is pretty much the only DnD podcast I've consistently listened to since Harmontown and definitely in a more specific and repeated way than virtually every other podcast, especially DnD related ones. I've heard every episode of it at least three times over excepting for the current arc, and even there I've listened to the Hodgepodge eps like five or six times already.

Murder on the Rockport Limited might be the best run of podcasts I've ever heard, especially considering it's all constructed narrative over improvisational/nonfiction/comedy work. I seriously cannot think of a single non-fantastic moment of that entire arc. It's astounding.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

My favorite part is when they enter Rockport and meet all the Tom Bodetts inside it, and Merle puts in the killswitch in the charmed one. Griffin's disconcerted delivery of "Well...time to go, I guess..." Makes me crack up to this day.

Every other arc, in my opinion, has problems. From Gerblins being clearly From The Module as gently caress, to Petals' weird disconnected feel- it's a bank heist, spy thriller, and Mad Max-style bloodsport with each part not feeling part of the same whole - to Crystal Kingdom's bad pacing issues. But Rockport? Rockport's loving PERFECT.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I love the entire podcast, to be clear. Rockport, though, is Griffin's opus.
It's loving wondrous.

thebardyspoon posted:

Maybe it's just cause I super marathoned the entire series through to the beginning of the Crystal Kingdom arc and now have to wait between episodes like everyone else but I am enjoying this one the least, it's had the least interesting location, lots of super nasally Lucas dialogue and quite a few fights that have gone on a bit too long.

Nah, it's not that. Although I still think Gerblins is the worst arc (pre-nature cleric Merle is boring as gently caress, nobody has a really good handle on their characters outside of Justin, and that's only by its end, I enjoy Griffin's universe over the straight riffs on fantasy that TAZ started out as), I could totally see the arguments for CK. I think the biggest issue, as aforementioned, is pacing; Griffin's even said so in TTAZZ, where he straight-up admitted that he's using this arc to set up his campaign's endgame, and it totally shows. There's big exposition dump early on in the arc when the main trio arrive on the crystallized ship for the first time, and a second one more recently that's clearly supposed to provide the crucial backstory for whoever the big bad is via explaining how planes work in the TAZ-verse. It's important and necessary, clearly, but it's awkwardly done, what with "I'm going to explain to you how this whole universe works, okay now I'm gonna double-cross you okay bye" Lucas being a character that exists in this narrative.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 10, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It amazes me that a team of LA based comedians who are all at the same location, who've all had DEEP experience interacting with each other both professionally and while playing D and D (Nerd Poker was just Brian Posehn deciding to record his weekly game, apparently), how Nerd Poker is such a deeply unfunny boring memey piece of poo poo.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm literally shaking right now

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Further proof that Griffin is, in fact

The WORST brother

:qq:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Griffin is the amiibo vore enthusiast reviewer this thread needs, not the amiibo vore ethusiast reviewer this thread deserves.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

https://twitter.com/saoccupation/status/719687582590763009

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

If I remember correctly, he does, and then Taako gives him an "I will loving end you if you even try" look so he gives up immediately.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

*sighs deeply*

Griffin is, objectively, the best brother. Even when his regrettable Amiibo Corner scandal came to light.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

SpacePig posted:

Griffin is an ideas man, while Justin is all about execution. Griffin wouldn't spend 10 minutes doing Schnowden or Amelie, or looking up facts about Ronald McDonald. Conversely, I can't imagine Juice writing his own DnD campaign. It's a difference in kind.

Also, Justin tends to give the most useful genuine advice, while Travis' is typically just confusing.

Griffin's Amiibo Corner. TAZ. #Stonerznation. The trifecta of perfection - the trifection - that proves without a doubt Griffin is objectively the best brother.

Also his vine is really good.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Totino's is one of the only #brands that I like because they actually seem to loving get how sponsorship should work.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

kidcoelacanth posted:

Justin's commitment to making Taako a dickhead is unparalleled

I was crying laughing at Taako threatening Agnus. Crying.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Please stop yucking Griffin's yum.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

That monster factory was one of the best ever.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

TOTINO'S

TOTINO'S

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm genuinely worried that MBMBaM will devolve into a "dads talking about their kids/parenting" podcast.

Yes, yes, I know it's practically memetic at this point, but I've gone through enough frustration with favorite indie comedians who swear up and down that being a dad won't change their acts/they'll complain about how annoying "dad comedian" humor is and like two years later they're wearing plaid shirts and talking about how little Timmy took his first steps or some really cutesy anecdote about something young Mandy did. They lose all their edge and it's really unfortunate, pretty much the only person I've seen transition to "being a dad" humor well was Patton Oswalt and that was largely because he still made it about how much of a depressed fuckup he was, and how he suddenly had obligations to be a happier person beyond himself. Pretty much everybody else just loses their edge and what makes them compelling, and I really hope that doesn't happen with my three favorite goodboys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The most hosed up part of this episode of The Adventure Zone is the implication that a goon would ever be popular and well-liked. I mean, come on.