Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Framing it as "winning" is like 100% of the problem. Its not "winning", its finding a stable and committed relationship. The show sells it as winning, and the show presents it as a game, but its actually people trying to find love in some insane environment. That's the show, there's literally nothing else to be "won" besides the happiness of finding your soul mate or however else you define a marriage partner.

Why do you think like none of the engagements last? Because like 99% of the time everyone views it as a game show where you win the hand of whoever and when the rubber meets the road they realize they don't actually loving like each other that much. The fact that the dude just revealed the shows falsity for what it was but wanted a relationship anyways is more resonant than the vast majority of bachelor proposals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rookersh posted:

AND THEN from there he has now said he wants to be the next Bachelor to "get back" at her over this.

ok that's p scumbaggy nvm

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I mean lets be realistic here, there's literally no way he accepts identifiable fault because that opens up both him and probably Polygon to a civil suit

I imagine the terms of his firing was something along the lines of "we won't talk poo poo about you if you don't do so about us and don't write anything that could implicate yourself or us in this". I mean that statement almost certainly had to be cleared by a lawyer before he posted it

I mean when Jeff Gerstmann was fired he had a literal gag order about Gamespot put on him by lawyers and that was over him scoring a bad game like it was a bad game. This is sexual harassment, the poo poo he can or can't say is airtight

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 11, 2017

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

There's literally no excuse for nick not telling people to not harass the victims though

That's outright shameful of him not to do, especially when its people like Ian miles cheong

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

My two cents:

I'm not impressed by his apology, but if he actually wants to change I hope he does. On the whole I think danika nailed it though:

https://twitter.com/danikaharrod/status/895796410544685056

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That just isn't true. I've seen several really good apologies where the response was "Okay. I still don't like what X did, but that was a really solid apology." I've seen it ripple all over Twitter: "Good solid apology there."

The idea that "well, SOMEBODY's going to be mad at me, so it's not worth trying" is a cheap out. Apologies aren't actually for getting out of trouble. They're for telling the people that you injured that you recognize you injured them, and you're sorry. This is why "I'm sorry you're hurt" is not an apology, and neither is "I'm sorry I stepped on your foot" when in fact you broke the person's foot. Hitting on somebody and then saying "Don't tell anybody about this" (there were screenshots of that) is creepy behavior, and it would be creepy whether you had ten followers or ten thousand.

Again, this is literally admitting fault, and as a (former) Polygon employee he is almost certainly legally barred from doing so.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Funny how many VCs managed it this summer. Dave McClure of 500 Startups, for instance.

I assure you, this dude was lawyered up. He still fessed up in public.

I am telling you that there's a difference between a dude with enough net worth to be personally sued over a dude with almost no net worth who happens to work for a media conglomerate which has enough net worth to be worth being sued over

That's literally the point. I almost guaran-loving-tee that the terms of his firing prevents him from admitting specific guilt or responsibility, because if he does then polygon and vox get sued, not him.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 11, 2017

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Again if you want to get mad at nick don't get mad at him for not loving incriminating himself with some gold-plated evidence before a civil suit appears. Get mad at him for not telling gamergate and IMC to gently caress off, because that costs him personally nothing whatsoever

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

sexpig by night posted:

including trying to get nudes/sex from at least one underaged person.

literally none of this is proven and id think long an hard before accusing a dude of pedophilia off of Twitter hearsay

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Who What Now posted:

You sure seem to post a lot for someone who doesn't care... :thunk:

E

Or what?

you seem like an extremely pleasant and cool person to interact with

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Who What Now posted:

So nothing, then.

if you cannot possibly see the dangers of spreading unsubstantiated rumors as fact I dunno what to tell you

Or, rather, if you lack the empathy to see how genuinely morally repugnant it is to participate and cheerlead in such behavior regardless of the facts you're not a good human being

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Who What Now posted:

Oh no, I'd hate for Nick to lose his job over such rumors.

Oh wait-

no bad tactics, just bad targets, the rationalization

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Its genuinely amazing to me that "think before calling someone a pedophile based off literal Twitter secondhand hearsay from a completely random individual" gets people like flatluigi and who what now springing purity test holier than thou bullshit on you

Nevermind the numerous times I called him a lovely creepy dude

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also lets not forget that if its true, if past is precedent then well get evidence of it pretty soon in which you'll be totally entitled to dunk on him for being a pedophile for as long as your heart desires
But apparently "pump the brakes for a sec" is just not okay to who what now and his lovely pointless hot takes

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Imagine paying somewhere in the neighborhood of a hundred dollars a ticket to see TAZ live only to get subjected to the bad boring adventures of Bisexual Mary Sue and two literal pieces of white bread in the shape of humans.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

When I went to mbmbam live in SF it was 80 a ticket yeah, TAZ was same venue and the next day and the same price

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Mae posted:

If you’re this reductive in how you see the characters, why are you even listening?

I’m not and haven’t for about a year now, I only keep subscribed to TAZ for the live shows

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I mean that mbmbam was worth paying 80 a person for, I got to hang with my sister as we watched a lady say her first swear word and there was an extended bit about dog dicks. It was pretty great and well worth it, chase that paper McElroys

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Its loving unbelievable to me that literally nobody would inform any of the three Extremely Online hosts of the podcast in eight years that the guy who wrote the song they use all the time is Actually Bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Considering there’s a whole section of Twitter devoted to hating the three of them, down to referring them with asterisks in their names, considering that Something Sensitive loving exists, which is literally entirely devoted to taking down randos on this dead gay forum, the insane level of mental gymnastics you’d have to go through to justify that somehow they never knew about his lovely beliefs for eight years defies belief. It is, quite literally, unbelievable.