Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You
Oct 6, 2009
Clint seems to be such a loveable guy. He seems really proud of his boys and really enjoying being a part of TAZ. Also during the TTAZZ after Balance when he spoke about how he thought that their mothers touch was a throughline during the narrative and how the "arms outstretched" bit was more Clint than Merle (Leave no boy behind!) felt really heartwarming to me.

Clint is a great dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You
Oct 6, 2009
My favourite thing in MBMBAM is when Justin commits hard on a failing goof

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb_eMhXQv6Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou5GTWyHjIg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoOrEHkWG6s

You
Oct 6, 2009

Colonel Whitey posted:

I found it, the poo poo talkin is at about 8:25. (He actually says he sucks rear end, I had the quote wrong)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YklkGhtAFmM

It's strange that Mr. James Buffett sucks rear end, while the Toolman merely might sucks rear end. Griffins priorities are all kinds of messed up.

You
Oct 6, 2009
I'm rewatching the TV show and I had absolutely no idea that the stupid ARG in the secret society episode was a real thing. That's just crazy.

You
Oct 6, 2009

This, pretty much. There are a total of three videos split on two sites.

Edit: gently caress it, I'll break it down.

http://myyoungestsonsseventhwordhyphenmyyoungestsonsfifteenthword.pizza/
Just a video without a puzzle.

http://dereks-trap.pizza/index.php
Enter 325892875734530 in the textbox, those are the numbers from the episode

There is a hidden textbox under Justin where you should enter 'watch'.

You fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 19, 2018

You
Oct 6, 2009
So this is only tangentially related to the McElroys, but after the headstone chat in the latest MBMBaM I decided to look up the wackiest ones and soon came to realize that most probably was photoshopped. Then I stumbled upon this:

The late great actor making a fart joke at his grave. And not a photoshop. Nice.

That sent me down another path of sweet Nielsen nostalgia and that's when I learned that he had a farting machine which he apparently loved dearly. I also learned that he often had it on him during interviews to mess with whoever sat down with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGuHDdSImFQ

So thank you, MBMBaM, to make me laugh at fart jokes from a dead man I guess?

You
Oct 6, 2009
I'm having trouble seeing how Dust would play out as a full season. If the setting would be kept and the gang would be going through wacky hijinks in the spooky old west, it might be entertaining since the characters seems to be the most fleshed out of the mini arcs. If the concept of the mini arc is kept and they only solve murder mysteries for a whole season I'm afraid that it might get a bit stale.

As I see it, both Commitment and Amnesty has worlds that fits more for fleshing out different types of encounters. On the other hand, I have no understanding of the systems they use, so it could be possible that Dust has just scraped the surface of what it could be, but whatever happens I'm excited for a full length campaign with McElroy goofs no matter which story they go with.

You
Oct 6, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah how could three mercenaries killing the sheriff possibly lead to dramatic stories? Truly, not even the most skilled writer could wring drama from this.

If only there were some external factors like powerful families, a crime syndicate, supernatural villains, a politician with a motive, SOMETHING that could reas onably propel the plot. Unfortunately our heroes' alibis are airtight and the story can never continue.
It's not the setting or the plot I'm having trouble with. I'm just feeling that Dust is the worst mini arc for casual listening, due to its note taking nature. It sure would be fun to play that game, but the other arcs were much easier to follow. Could be my listening habits due to doing other stuff while listening, but I felt more lost during this.

So what I'm saying is not that it's boring or uninteresting, what I am saying is that if the mini arcs are supposed to be representative of the games they would play for a season it could potentially be a more demanding experience compared to monster/super villain of the week. To each their own I guess :shrug:

You
Oct 6, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

I listen to podcasts in the background so even for the more casual ones, I miss a lot of little details; so for dust, I actually liked that the format forced the gang to start each episode with “let’s review our notes” because it helped me keep up, compared to the ones where they just assume the listener is remembering everything as well as the players are

This is another point in favor of dragon friends, where the players themselves often forget what’s happening, so it’s all very relatable

That's a really good point, actually. The story recap in the beginning was a really good move.

I really like the Dragon Friends to. It's an entirely different beast, but as you say part of the charm is probably that the players don't remember poo poo quite frequently. That and trying to screw over Freezo and/or being screwed over by Freezo each episode.

You
Oct 6, 2009

Dolash posted:

I think I agree, trying to make a season 2 recapture that lightning-in-a-bottle of Balance puts too much pressure on the performance. The experimental arcs were a good idea to do some low-stakes exploration of different ideas and setups and give some cooling off, but approaching it as a star search that'll support another ~70 episode run kinda sours the mood. At first I thought they were going to make something new entirely rather than expanding out one of the experiments and if anything that might've been the better idea, to avoid that "grass is always greener" effect of wondering if they should've picked one of the others.

Approaching it as "we're just going to start playing another game and we'll see how long we want to keep playing it and people want to keep seeing us play it" might've kept the stakes down. It's how people should probably approach the podcast regardless but their current setup is definitely vulnerable to overthinking it.

I was looking for a quote from Justin regarding season 2, but couldn't seem to find. As far as I remember he pretty much stated that it would be foolhardy to try to recreate what they had. Mostly because of the trust built over time with the audience and the impact the show naturally grew into. With the mini-arcs they created a buffer for the following they gathered, to present something new while also avoiding some unfair criticism if they make something too different. They don't have the advantage of being underdogs anymore.

You
Oct 6, 2009
I keep pulling my earphones out during the red (blue) carpet episode. Even if I do love the concept of Jimmy Buffett coming up with a goof and the brothers following up on it, it's just so awkward.

You
Oct 6, 2009

SpacePig posted:

Al Roker probably still would've come up and picked on them.

e: Did I say picked on? I meant slaughtered.

Two sweet pasty boys with several unused microphones mumbling nervously to each other getting verbally attacked by Al Roker.

You
Oct 6, 2009
The new audience question screening is solid. I didn't cringe once and enjoyed the askers, which probably is a first for a live MBMBAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You
Oct 6, 2009
Justin made a Jimmy Buffett cover a couple of years ago thats far better than it deserves to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX95oFKhxFY