Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I feel his slow talking character is going to get annoying but overall it could be a good series

I really was not into the last one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

change my name posted:

Yeah he rolled way too much for the NPCs. My problem with the show so far is that it’s just Travis talking for a lot of it and dumping conversations between himself/exposition.

Yeah I agree with this it has been A LOT of talking don’t railroad them I want the players to explore and make their own mistakes, how many episodes of exposition do you need, I mean if you’re putting an episode out every two weeks you don’t want two months to go by before you actually get into it

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Blockhouse posted:

TAZ has literally never not been about railroading.

Yeah no that’s true, I guess I was just let down with Amnesty, I really tried to like it but just couldn’t

Graduation has potential so far

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I mean you’re right but NADDPOD does it every week

Naddpod is my favourite dnd podcast and yeah the combat is good in it, heck I’ll go as far as saying even dungeons and daddies while an absolute mess will have combat every episode and make it in and enjoyable

I did enjoy this latest episode of TAZ but to me they need to leave the school and do SOMETHING, you want a long series and multiple character building episodes sure I get it but at some point I mean come on...do something, anything

Haven’t lost me yet but I can see how it could

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
The latest TAZ episode was....not good oof

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I mean it’s fine, I’m sure it’ll get better but at the moment there are so many good/great DMs doing podcasts, if you’re a dnd fan you’re really spoiled right now so it’s hard not to compare TAZ to others

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
As someone who has not been enjoying TAZ this season I threw it on and listened to it while I did some running and the start was slow but I enjoyed the episode a lot by the end there was a ton of new development, but I feel like I should also say when I think it’s good if I’m saying when it’s bad

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I’m 45 minutes in this is awful, I’m convinced their first series was a fluke

You know poo poo is terrible when they’re condescendingly mocking the “fans” of the show saying oh you WANT dnd huh, well look at all this DND, then do it poorly. Has the I’m not owned you’re owned defense ever worked lmao

Too many other great dnd podcasts out there

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I would say

NADDPOD
Dragon Friends
Dungeons and Daddies
Critical Role (bit too serious for me)
Dimension 20 (not sure if it’s on podcast format)

Don’t want to derail the thread but yeah I just think at this point, with their contacts, how can Graduation be this, maybe I’m just a hater I don’t think so though I just want to listen and have fun while doing it

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I think a big part of my disdain for Graduation is because I'm an old D&D grognard and Travis is doing about 90% of the poo poo I hate from DMs. Bad mystery box plots that don't feel like they're going anywhere, entire sessions that are just tours of the cool GMPCs he made, sending a bunch of said GMPCs on adventures with the party, and that loving imp dungeon. I also had to grit my teeth a lot at them just being awful at D&D this last session but I guess that doesn't matter.

He gives too much information away instead of letting the players figure it out as well, drives me crazy. He just tells them they’re poisoned and the imps have whatever it was scorpion tails (didn’t even know how it worked) instead of the imp making the attack then telling the player to make a saving throw (he should have their character sheets and know if they’re immune to poo poo), let the PCs drive the story let them make mistakes that’s where you get fun moments when it’s genuine

That aspect is frustrating to me because this is their job they make money playing dnd and you don’t even know how it works lmao

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

change my name posted:

It's a Venture Brothers thing

Maybe I’m misremembering but wasn’t it explained it was all theatre like the peasants don’t know it was fake but the kings do, then it kind of went from a school for that to I have no idea

I guess the main objective as the title states is graduating the school, so they can perform...I’m not sure why a school would have performers contract out to actually fight and solve issues

Someone recommended Rude Tales of Magic and I listened to the first two episodes and yeah it’s really good

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Everytime I see a photo or video of the guy, he’s uhhhh, something

I didn’t mind the newest episode of graduation though I listened to it while running so wasn’t completely invested

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Rude Tales in a strictly dnd podcast comparison is miles and miles ahead of anything the McElroy’s are doing and it’s sad they think they need the exposure to get noticed

The latest episode was a giant nothing, I had it on while I was working and I don’t think I remember anything worthwhile

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Stir Fry is good but if he’s not your cup of tea that’s ok

But if anyone talks poo poo about Senator Pepsi I’m going to lose it

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
You gotta pay someone to do that though

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

It seems like their podcast empire a lot is built on doing as much themselves as possible, also, I question whether a good podcast dm would want to dm another podcast which could potentially take away from their own listeners

I mean it’s all speculation I guess

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I watched it today my young kids wanted to, the movie was...not good, first movie was a lot better but kids liked it

If I didn’t know who they were in the movie I would have missed it but Betsy Sodaro, you can instantly be like oh poo poo it’s Betsy

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Thought the latest was good and bad, I enjoyed them goofing off at the start they had some genuine fun TM and that was cool

The railroading storyline is just awful, graduation isn’t a story about these character’s adventures but a story about Travis’ NPCs, nothing the characters do matter and that sucks

Now that I think about it if this is what Travis wanted to do he should have just done this as a fictional story podcast ala limetown or whatever it just doesn’t work as an improv dnd actual play

Do it ironically fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 17, 2020

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

McNutty posted:

Travis kinda completely fucks up the most recent Blank Check episode through complete dumb poo poo obstinacy which is very on brand.

I saw he was on there and just deleted the episode without listening

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I'm still listening to it but it's just in the background while I work from home and I haven't posted about it because I don't have anything good to say and don't want to poo poo up the thread

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Honestly I don’t see why not their dnd is only dnd by name they still don’t know the rules so why does it even matter which system they use

The Adventure Zone: The Masquerade and they’re all emo vampires

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Oh it’s not at all, and as an example the latest episode of rude tales of magic has Brennan as a guest star on it and it’s very on the rails but just flows and works and was an absolute pleasure to listen to

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I took Travis’ advice and deleted the newest episode and unsubscribed to TAZ, I had hoped they’d switch it up and it would get better but obviously that won’t happen

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I didn’t listen to the newest one but some of my criticisms are it is extremely on rails and Travis has a vision and he literally won’t deviate from it, but he’s also not a good enough DM to let the players actually role play, switch it up and still keep his ideas. Which leads to the next one, the players don’t seem like they’re having fun, comments make it through editing about not rolling dice or whatever, they’re frustrated and Travis is clueless, or maybe not maybe he doesn’t care.

There’s also too many NPCs, and to be honest the story doesn’t really make sense, when I think of the podcast DMs I like, Brennan, Brian, Brandon Reese they’re able to feel the energy and flow of the day and work with the players to make a fun story

I said it once before this should have just been a fictional podcast story series because what’s the point of having a role playing game if none of the players get to make decisions that affect the story

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I haven’t ever watched that video with the cbd oil but why record it if not to score some sick internet points dunking on low hanging fruit. I mean if you truly care and are doing it altruistically why even bother recording it, if it wasn’t one of the McElroy’s who recorded it and just some rando then yeah I see what you’re saying

Also, the large majority of people seeing this video will be people who like the mcelroys already and would agree with what they’re doing so whose opinion are they trying to change?

Do it ironically fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 18, 2020

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
The only thing with that is you’d have to pay the DM and any competent podcast DM has their own podcast so why would they do someone else’s campaign and take away from their listens/money without being adequately compensated

What I’m saying is I don’t think they’re willing to pay what it would take

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I stopped listening to it after Travis had his twitter meltdown and told everyone he wasn't going to change and if you don't like it don't listen. I have no regrets

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Thanks for gatekeeping the McElroy podcasting thread, I’ll be sure to only post positive things about the McElroy podcasting empire in the McElroy podcast thread

Ok maybe that’s a bit rude but the point stands, as long as you’re not derailing or making GBS threads up the thread why can’t you discuss any opinion if it’s on topic

Do it ironically fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 18, 2020

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I have TikTok because my wife likes it and today my wife tagged me in a parenting duet video and the duetter was Travis on being a parent

I just felt to embarrassed to tell my wife I know who this purple haired guy was

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Lmao bean dad deleted his Twitter

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Even if you ignore the racial slurs, which even if they’re ironic it’s still racist, as someone with young kids not quite 9. If they came up to me and were hungry and asking nicely for help, even if I wanted to have a learning lesson and teach them to use a can opener I wouldn’t just passive aggressively tell them to figure it out I would explain how it works, show them then let them try and if they’re struggling ask if they need help and if so show them proper technique or whatever

If the story is true he is just an rear end in a top hat to a hungry child with a developing brain who might not understand the complexities of the situation

But that’s just my opinion I don’t know much

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Trapick posted:

...how old do you think kids need to be to cook some eggs or bake cookies by themselves? I wouldn't trust every 9 year old with a stove but I could certainly scramble eggs before I was 10. All you really need to know is fire=bad.

Of course this particular kid didn't know how to use a can opener, so I would easily believe she shouldn't be using a stove alone.

I’m absolutely not usually a “if you don’t have kids you don’t understand” person but I feel like this is an actual situation it applies. Hell, even certain tasks my kids are good at on a bad day they’re going to gently caress it all up

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Trapick posted:

I have a 5 year old. I wouldn't let her use the stove alone yet, but I'll be pretty surprised if I don't before she's 10. She cooks with me all the time.

For sure every child is different, and maybe his 9 year old can work an oven but not know how to use a can opener maybe I’m not articulating myself well but I’m trying to say don’t be a jerk to your kid life is tough help them out and set them up for success

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Graduation, it's not fun (sever the endeavor)

Was a good episode though they had a lot of fun on it

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Sivart13 posted:

If there's any upside at all to a white supremacist insurrection, at least it has given the brothers some space to go off on why exactly Ted Cruz likes to pee his pants so much

Strong big dog run energy that sode

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Stuff crust pizza w hot dogs in the crust, literally a Pizza Hut pizza at one point

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Wasn’t the best episode ever mighty duck stuff was odd but they can’t all be bangers

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Latest mbmbam was....sub par. I don’t know I listened to the whole thing but I can’t tell you much from it outside lots of fast food talk

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

They... they want me to talk about Munch Squad I think?

*shifts in seat in a way that you know I'm totally farting but I will never admit to it.

It's ok you don't have to defend these brothers, they're not going to call you up and invite you to their house to guest on the show, people are allowed to give opinions in the thread about opinions on the three brothers

maybe you need to take a break

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
He railroads the players instead of say yes anding and rolling with their ideas. Not that he has to go with every idea the players bring up but humouring them, letting them create, and possibly bringing up consequences and call backs to their decisions makes it fun, which Travis doesn’t do

Maybe he does now I’m not sure I tapped out of graduation fairly early

All the dnd podcasts I do like, rude tales, naddpod, dragon friends, the DMs strike a good balance with their show for giving the players leeway to do something spontaneous or make them feel like they are and moving the story along

Do it ironically fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 19, 2021