Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
So griffin finally made Big Gulp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Scudworth posted:

There is one full episode of Big Gulp, it was a 2015 bonus donors-only ep for MBMBAM.
It is unpleasant.

Well, that's a premium swallow.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
People really like ironic simpsons stuff, it's the modern version of the banned mickey Mouse parodies from the 60s where he gets his dick out.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Agreed totally. The fact that people still like the early stuff does make it a little more complicated.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
There's a non-zero chance obama will tell Griffin he's doing a greatjob soon.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Pretty much all of them that aren't trying to be super realistic or DnD will. A decent game is either going to encourage quality narratives, like Apocalypse World (and friends) or 13th Age, or tactical gameplay like Strike! or Runequest.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

flatluigi posted:

Honest question, how do they do that? I've followed a few things over the years but most systems I've seen people use just seem to get in the way of the people playing more often than not.

It depends on the particular thing you're looking for but for me it comes down to giving players good input and having simple enough mechanics that encourage the sorts of results you want. I really dig apocalypse world, so I'll run over how that does it. It thinks of an RPG as a sort of conversation between players, the system and the GM, so instead of turns it just has the DM says what's happening and pushes the player to respond, then they do something, then something else happens, etc. It breaks every sort of player action into a "Move" which has a trigger in the narrative, but goes underneath, so you describe what happens in the story then use the right move for it, and they're designed to shape how characters act and fit the tone of the game. There's different moves for getting in a shootout than for beating the crap out of a defenseless person. Every roll is just 2d6 and add the right stat for the move. If you roll 10 or more, it goes well. If you roll 6 or under, things go badly (not just you fail, next turn, but things that still move the story forwards). On 7-9, you partially succeed, getting something close to what you wanted, or having something complicate things further. A lot of the time, the player's the one who picks what the result actually is. I'll chuck in an example.

GM: So Max, You've got a War Boy on the front of your car, and he's raising a harpoon at Furiosa with a look of glee in his eyes. What do you do?

Max: I'm going to swerve hard and try to throw him off. That's Act Under Fire right?

GM: Yeah, roll plus Cool.

(Max gets a 7)

GM: You steer hard, but the ground is really uncertain, and you start to lose control. Let's make a choice: Do you brake and send the Warboy flying into the caboose with you and Furiosa, or do you hit into the canyon wall and damage the engine?

That's the gist of it, although I'm glossing over the design of the moves themselves, character classes, etc. But my point is that a good system structures the narrative to produce more interesting results and give more meaning to decisions. As for good tactical combat, that just comes down to good game design, same as you'd see in a video game but with smaller numbers.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

flatluigi posted:

I don't see how that's functionally different than how they're currently playing in The Adventure Zone and it's basically what I meant exactly by facilitating instead of actually adding to gameplay v:shobon:v

Giving players power over their actions and explicitly establishing tone, themes and potential outcomes adds a lot to gameplay. You get more interesting results, better stories and more weight to decisions.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
They've gotta be way more into basketball than we are, so it's probably got way less presence.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
You just know there was lots about julius caesar's diarrhea that got edited out.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 5, 2016

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

ImPureAwesome posted:

To think, it all started with accepting furries

Never compromise, not even in the face of armageddon.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Vore is really funny as a concept. It was getting overused a bit but I constantly describe things in my head as a premium swallow now.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
They mocked furries in like episode 10 and rolled back the other way real far. It's not a big deal.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6CUhw2CHj0

I've decided that this is the best unappreciated mbmam bit.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Coffee And Pie posted:

Genuinely conflicted on which t-shirt to wear to the live show, my bootleg Bart Simpson: Radical Dude shirt or my Jimmy Buffett "Island Patrol" shirt.

sew the bootleg bart to a denim jacket and wear it over the buffett.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
If anyone's a fan of Still Suffering's episodes about weird generational differences in mindsets, they just did an episode about mass shootings.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Saint's Row 3 does a couple of things that limit character creation like having less clothing layers and massively different male/female skeletons, but it's more modern and runs on PC better.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The game really struggled to get the tone right. SR2 is really consistent with a darkly comedic tone with a casual approach to violent and often brutal acts, and the emotional beats or psychotic moments have an impact without being big swerves. There's a lot of great moments in Saints Row later on, like the West-Wing parody, the VR segment, and good character stuff like the Real ending of SR3 and Kinzie Kensington and the celeb hanger on whose name I forgot, but it's a bit all over the place, with a lot more straight parody and Whacky stuff. Don't get me wrong, I love busting wrestling moves on bystanders, but I generally prefer my comedy a bit straight-faced.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
There's an episode with Lin manuel miranda guesting, you might want to track that one down as well.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Guy Mann posted:

The MBMBaM Facebook group is a roller coaster I'm not always prepared to ride.

No problem with this, you should gently caress with babies as much as ethically possible.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
If you want to print a monsterfactory shirt there's some flash tattoo designs someone did that'd work well.

I think the artist is called Kate Leith?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
He'd probably go to west Virginia for that, or stay in LA, the capital of shows.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Relatablepicturesofjustinmcelroy.tumblr.com

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Best 2016 goof is Michael Jordan of Strangling.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
He pronounces the T in Nougat so there's a special circle in pronounciation hell for him.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Guy Mann posted:

The fact that it's all listener-submitted questions makes me kind of wary that it's going to have the Judge John Hodgman/MBMBAM live show problem of the people being too in on the joke or attention-seeking but this looks delightful.

They'll probably be able to pick the good ones easily since they'll only need like 12.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I'd just pick ones at random except for the super-early stuff, which is a lot rougher. There's some great bits in there, like Warrior Cats and Peepum's Nasty Gum, and they also haven't repented mocking furries yet.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I discovered MBMBaM earlier this year and worked my way from episode 1 onward. I'm on 178 currently.

I have one question that I'm certain this is the thread for: What's the deal with Stack Soap being eternally out of stock?

People really went nuts for it for some reason.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

The Lowdog posted:

So I have only just heard the best Jumbotron message imaginable and I have been listening to these dudes a few times a week for months now. I feel like the last several months of my life would have been infinitely richer had I heard it earlier.

Can we get it added to the OP?

It's been beaten. The best one is the Coldplay Poem.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Gotta hand it to rhea games: bronchie the brontosaurus with athsma is an inspired pun.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I did check out jjh because I couldn't figure out if a machine-gun was a robot.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
This ep's got some killer bits, you could probably reccomend it as a good starting point.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It's wierd to hear Yahoo Answers die, bit by bit every episode.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
https://vimeo.com/192399214

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It doesn't encourage it, it forces it with vague writing, overuse of optional rules and edge cases. If I wanted rules light d&d I'd go with old-school Basic d&d with the d20 roll-under the stat to do stuff. It's basically what TAZ is doing already.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
He probably had a review copy, he is a games journalist.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I'd be pissed too, it's a massive dick move in a world where delivery pizza exists. It's really up to the meat eaters to apologise.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Griffin just said Killer Mike was in the ICP. Jesus dude.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
They were legit concerned about juggalos doing crimes, which is really wierd to hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

DoctorWhat posted:

GRIFFIN

YOU UNDERSTAND HOW THE MEME WORKS NOW

I'm so proud of you.

Or Nick edits.