Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea you fuckers are never gonna complain about griffon wanting to eat Yoshi again after this are you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Justin and Russ on Polygon watched the PS3 E3 conference from 2006, because I guess Polygon wants to get in on the obvious cash cow that is the videos where the Giant Bomb guys sit around watching old tapes and laughing?

Well luckily it's funny and entertaining too, so now I just want MST'ing old Very Serious Video Game Press to be a thing now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2L0wIClEqE

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Invisible Ted posted:

I hope not, that sounds really hosed up

yea I really can't believe that would be the thing because that'd turn 'ok you're kinda annoying, shut up' to a thing a generally lovely person would do.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea RuPaul is ignorant as all hell about why 'tranny' is offensive to some in the community but considering how basically everything else regarding trans people he does is on the side of support and his kinda whole thing is 'gender divisions are stupid and masculine and feminine are part of a scale rather than some rock solid thing' it feels like dumping him into the 'gently caress it he hates trans people' pile is a bit reductive.

On a more on topic post, Minority Korner is just so goddamn boring. Like, I wasn't expecting the world thanks to those terrible ads but they're not even like, dumb or funny in them being lame, it's just two incredibly boring people approaching minority issues from the most base level view possible. I guess if you've literally never thought about minority experiences other than your own it'd be interesting but I don't know who their audience is on MaxFun?

Like I kinda feel bad because they seem to be genuinely trying real hard, but they're just coming across as a bootleg Throwing Shade for me.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Waffleman_ posted:

I also think it's because as the podcast went on, the guys became comfortable enough in their fantasy skin to go for more character-based humor rather than just plain goofs, and as Griffin's improved as a DM, the storytelling has become the main draw.

It's probably mainly this, yea. The whole 'haha tacos right, because his name is 'takko'' thing was funny but it was 100% a 'hahaha...I actually have no idea what I'm doing with this character but here's a funny thing I thought that's related to him!' that a lot of new roleplayers do. It's fine, I think the taco goofs are funny, but yea as everyone got more into things and more character focused now you can make goofs on that and they feel more organic and fitting.

Also it's been replaced with Takko just bullying a sweet baby detective for no reason, and that's a far superior goof.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Scudworth posted:

None of their kids are going to listen to these shows.

I hope they all carry on the podcasting legacy while actively mocking their fathers as out dated old people.

In the future all media will come to us from a McElroy production, and we'll be better as a society for it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FutonForensic posted:

They recorded that podcast last Friday, so it had just happened.Though I think it's less "we're irl sobbing over the secession of Britain from the EU" and more "we need a bit for the intro and everyone on Twitter's saying the world's ending so we'll run with that I guess?"

Also don't forget West Virginia has been dealing with horrific flooding around the same time. That stuff combined with the general 'man, ROUGH few weeks huh' feel would probably be enough to make most people a bit bummed.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Things I Bought at Sheetz is easily my favorite MBMBAM project

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8FJdRBWPW4

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 3, 2016

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

kidcoelacanth posted:

The McElroys, like any good podcaster should, record their individual audio tracks locally.

Yea I don't know if they ever actually did a proper answer for it but just going on what they've said about recording on episodes it seems they do the smart thing of all of them recording their own track and then sending them to one (I think Griffin?) to edit. That's why they've had a couple episodes that were all 'yea Travis' track got hosed up here, I fixed it as best I could, sorry'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
'you wet egg' needs to be in 100 Foot Golf

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
If you like the pretty fun party card game Monikers, the MBMBAM family has their own special expansion for it

http://mcelroy.monikersgame.com/

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Griffin's Nuzlocke was not what I expected from that teaser but boy is it fantastic

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Max Fun and Polygon both are able to provide huge amounts of exposure and social media help to their workers, and while you should never work at someplace just 'for exposure' obviously if you're doing well and seem to get along with the system there's zero reason to throw that stuff away.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ImPureAwesome posted:

Also aren't they pretty senior members at polygon and can basically do whatever they want anyway

Yea Justin used to have some pretty decent title before he took a step back to focus on family. Griffin clearly has some clout there considering he gets to just kinda do whatever like 'I'mma shove Amiibos in my mouth' and 'I want to do a Nuzlocke and call my fox Yiffin' and all. Obviously there's not too many people that Griffin has to work around the approval of to do stuff.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I'm partial to

quote:

You could, of course, replay the levels you finished with different characters to keep their skills in line. But considering one crash that cost me 20 minutes of progress nearly sent me into a crying jag, I'd sooner throw my PS4 into a wood chipper and eat the ensuing game dust than spend one minute longer playing Ghostbusters than I have to.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
baggo and cornhole often go hand in hand if you're having a good night

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

flatluigi posted:

I'm actually kind of surprised by how much Griffin seems to not like Saints Row in that video.

Tbh I kinda get how that can happen. SR2 was a fantastic 'counter' to GTA's tone, but then you had it gradually go from 'ok we're pretty much GTA but we have a more experimental tone to stuff' to 'HAHA POOP TOILET I SAID DILDO!'. I like SR and by now I'm just burnt out and tired of it.

I'm Grimace and I'm here to beat rear end

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

"Oh so it's a Charlie model"

"Yea, they've got Charlie and Dillum"

as great as all their bits are, nothing will ever top 'just saying a stupid name' for me

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Him gassing himself with cat litter or getting hit by a car while carrying cold cuts are both way better

the cold cuts flying everywhere story being compared to a mafia hit in a movie or whatever was genuinely one of the funniest things in the show and I can't even remember when it was.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jon Irenicus posted:

An odd request, but can anyone recommend me a podcast similar to the Adventure Zone? I binged through the backlog in a few weeks of commuting but am jonesing for something else like it.

It's not D&D but if you want a podcast with a hefty blend of silly and genuine storytelling like AZ does well, I'd say the Campaign Podcast does it best.

http://oneshotpodcast.com/category/podcasts/campaign/campaign-podcast/

They also do the One Shot Podcast which is also cool, but it's, as you'd expect, one shot adventures with a rotating cast and a bunch of different game systems, though it does have things like an excellent Legend of the Five Rings game that spans a few sessions, and the intro sessions to the Star Wars game that becomes Campaign.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Guy Mann posted:

Is there anybody who does Adventure Zone fanart in the style of actual old D&D manuals and book covers instead of the same interchangeable Steven Universe thing all of Tumblr uses now?

how old do you want because like, the actual 'old D&D manuals' aren't exactly pillars of high art.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Stupid tumblr and their mind control forcing artists to stray from the TRUE vision of Klaarg

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
remember every time they interacted with Klaarg, he had no pants straight Donald Ducking it

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Spaced God posted:

This is the Polygon one off I most want to be an actual series. lovely fmv games are my lifeblood

Yea as much as I love the series we got in Monster Factory, I'd trade every beautiful boy away if it meant 'Justin subjects his brother to the garbage FMV games he can find' was a regular event

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
speaking of things I hope are series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu67rrIdqr8

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hey guys, guess what time it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuLTo8yEZhE

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Whizbang posted:

The only thing funnier than those chips was Griffin's reaction to those chips.

'throw em up to the sun'

'true sun chips now'

I feel like if I tried to describe Polygon to a friend who's never heard of it they'd think I was insane.

"So ok it's a game site like Kotaku right? They do a lot of news and reviews and normal game site stuff. But then there's like, four guys on it who they just kinda gave a blank check to do what they want with? So like, there's this one series where a dude puts Amiibos in his mouth, and another where he and his brother gently caress with character creators and do poo poo like make bart simpson in Black Desert Online or throw Doctor Phil around in Dragon's Dogma. They also just started a show where a dude and his friend just...I guess gently caress with virtual cars? Like they just shoot cannons at them and throw sun chips around and...yea..."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

How often does Monster Factory update? I showed my gf the Dog 2 video and she's almost angry at me that there isn't a follow-up uploaded yet.

Though the backlog of MF we got left will do for now at least.

none of their vids are on a set time I think

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Man how long has Polygon's 'animated' clips game been on point like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTv0N_9M2vY

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Oh my god the return of the Bee Movies

"I'm being pursued by my past. In a very literal way."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

kidcoelacanth posted:

Flophouse is good and I liked the switcheroo MBMBaM, well bye

the amount of genuine anger the flophouse seems to get makes me like it more and more every time it comes up.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Guy Mann posted:

People looking at me weird when they see me gleefully shoveling turds down my throat just makes me want to eat poo poo even more :madmax:

but enough about reading your posts

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Level up Chie Satonaka until she learns Bufu, use it on bosses. Die in your sleep.

This is how Griffon actually got hired at Polygon

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

showbiz_liz posted:

I dunno, I kind of like that there's the super-heroic guy with the incredibly tragic backstory, the goofy but powerful wizard who also has an incredibly tragic backstory, and then the bro who basically just got into adventuring because he was bored.

yea I think he fits into the story pretty well really, you have two guys who are kinda standard RPG heroes and then 'uh yea, I'm just here to have some fun and talk about Pan'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Looks like them Car Boys are at it again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F46821X7KI

Hail Busto

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
That bit instantly became one of my absolute favorites they did. The transition from "this song is way weirder than people act like it is" to "die in your sleep" being a sick videogame victory strat was everything I come to McElroy podcasts for.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

it's amazing how well that works

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
you ever wonder if they had any idea when they started doing a podcast involving talking about their 'walnuts' and talking to Jeffrey they'd be the leaders of the nation's first spider parade and inventors of the greatest game since Mario?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zeeman posted:

Magic Brian is still one of the absolute highlights of TAZ

I've had now multiple D&D encounters end with 'you've solved my riddle, I'm so proud' thanks to that bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
that thing comparing Nick to the google chrome 'page can't be loaded' thumbnail is still the funniest fuckin thing