Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Somebody please make a .gif of the apple ricocheting wildly around Mėlissa's head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

This man's whole tumblr is extremely good.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

SWAP WATER & CAP SWORD

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

There is a perfectly good reason why the Mcelroys couldn't find a bright spot to take them out of the doldrums this week.

MBMBAM 309: Je Suis Pagliacci

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

With Crystal Kingdom the trio's just sort of wandering the gently caress around for a billion episodes until the end happens - which I don't think is even that strong considering it just sorta comes out of nowhere, like, if I remember correctly it's someone passing a difficult throw that stops the final battle before it even starts.

Not arguing any of your other points but, uh, what? :confused:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

Yeah I remember Griffin setting up the huge final confrontation and someone throwing out a single spell that more or less ended it.

Merle did throw out a powerful spell that finished it off, but it wasn't before the battle even started. I just skimmed through it real quick and it was 38 minutes or so after the first attack. That feels like a pretty decent length, maybe even a little lengthy. I also thought it was pretty exciting what with the background robot thrashing and the ghost skeleton and stuff, but that's opinions.

EDIT: Man that's kind of a big chunk to forget about. You aught to give it another run through. Maybe you'll rediscover some gems.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 2, 2016

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I don't recall Klaarg being in the garage. Also, I don't think any of this needs to be spoiler tagged.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Oh yeah I forgot about that. It's an interesting theory, and there's no in-game reason that it couldn't be the case, but there is a problem. Doing this would require Griffin collaborating with Justin on future events, which would cause all sorts of problems. It's exactly the reason why they dropped the taco quest thing.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

The thing that happened at the end of The Adventure Zone this week really struck me. Griffin has managed to make a threat that is so monumental in scale that one can't even begin to imagine a way to defeat it, while at the same time being concrete enough that it's not impossible to grasp the severity of it. Even the Grand Relics didn't accomplish this; They were always only just out of reach, and their power was so great that it made for a somewhat abstract threat. Frankly, I'm not sure how they're going to take care of this big honkin' worm without using a Grand Relic.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

I think the best solution would've been not introducing puzzles with lethal failstates (or puzzles that took advantage of its setup, sorta like how the first "puzzle" the group had to solve was getting out of/being prevented from being thrown in jail). I also like it when the puzzle is Majora's Mask-y like figuring out how to do stuff or get to a location faster over a straight up solve or die scenario like this episode was chock full of. Death is the least interesting failure state in this arc over wasting time or being inefficient.

I trust Griffin's judgement with regards to this. Note that there was going to be another lethal-failstate puzzle right after the punchcard one, but Griffin cut it on the fly to keep things moving.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Does anyone have a link to the remastered version of Griffin's Maximum Fun Drive jingle?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Yes!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I think it was Baggo which, coincidentally, is also the name of my wonderful son.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I mean it's not like Griffin invented the word mouthfeel.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

IF you like stories about a day in the life of Clint McElroy, the latest CoolGames Inc. has a really good one.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

That's my car!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I'm not familiar with a Homestuck. Are you talking about the hit new game from Coolgames Inc., :Homestuck?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Bugbears, known for their one shaven leg.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I love when Island Boy comes around to give me some of that good news.

Yeah but if you let him stay too long then he starts spreading his seed all over the place.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Rose Buddies is pretty good, but I don't know if I agree that it's like a bad movies podcast where you don't have to watch the show. There's just too many people on a dating show; it's way more complicated than a straight-line plot.

Are You The One sounds like a really interesting show. I'd love to watch idiots try to solve a seasonlong logic problem. But marred by half the male cast being violent assholes.

Yeah I pretty much don't know who anyone but the Bachelor(ette) is until there are only five or six suitors left.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Too late, I'm already completely doused.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

flatluigi posted:

Nothing happens because the actual people in question generally like seeing multiple interpretations of characters instead of this imaginary hateful poo poo that y'all are assuming they do! Like I've been following the adventure zone tag on tumblr for a year or so now because I like the art people make for it and I've never once seen people be lovely about things like that -- hell, there's a charity fundraising campaign going on right now for a TAZ zine with a bunch of different people's takes on characters/events/scenes that looks really cool: http://theadventurezine.tumblr.com/

Turns out that just because people like scudworth are gleefully fantasizing about that sort of thing doesn't mean it's really happening

I think you're reading a level of malice or disdain into scudworth's posts that I didn't pick up on.

That said, I hope their speculation doesn't become reality, and I'm pretty sure it won't. The TAZ fanart community is really cool from what I've seen. The NV fanart community always did seem a bit rabid even from the beginning.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 30, 2016

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Lurks Morington posted:

That while think the McElroys are funny, I'm not a huge fan of a lot of the Polygon stuff. It's probably just not for me, I don't watch lets plays or anything.

Yeah I can see how somebody would not get down on car boys. The majority of the comedy is coming from the game itself, so if that's not your thing then it's going to fall flat.

Can we maybe agree to not jump down people's throats for saying they don't like a thing we like?

EDIT: Oh my god I thought people didn't like spore because it didn't deliver on its creators' promises, but it really just isn't a very good game, huh?

Ariong fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 30, 2016

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

To be fair Pan was retconned to be the god he always worshiped the same way that Taako was retconned to have always done transmutation.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I, too, liked Taako's segment less than Magnus' and Merle's. Merle's was simple and funny and Magnus' was a long time coming, but introducing an entirely new character and immediately giving them such an important role was kind of strange. It was certainly a departure from how I thought Taako's backstory would resolve, sure, but that's not my issue. If this character (whose name I cannot remember) were mentioned in passing here and there or even once during an allusion to Taako's history, it would have been a much cooler surprise than the person being introduced within minutes of their betrayal.

All that being said, the scene did enable a feature of the show which is, sadly, becoming increasingly rare: Taako being a giant selfish butthole. Hearing him completely absolve himself of any and all guilt immediately upon finding out he wasn't directly responsible for killing the 40 people he poisoned was the funniest part of the episode in my opinion.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

CronoGamer posted:

Re: TAZ, Am I the only one who wished that Magnus had gone for the chalice?

Like, I get his rationale for how Julia wouldn't have wanted him to sacrifice those future lives, and it does make sense in the context of Magnus becoming a protector of people and how he wouldn't be able to help the BoB if he went back, but with how he was "utterly destroyed" when he saw Julia, it would have been really loving cool for him to say drat it all and reach for the chalice and for Taako and Merle to have to fight him off of it. Maybe even using Roswell to stop him if Griffin had had them fight in the real space instead of June's bubble, I don't know. I was just a little let down that Griffin warned at the end of the last episode that he was going to sell them on it but they were all Good Good Boys who weren't tempted at all. Part of me wonders if Griffin was hoping for something a little more interesting too, but I guess that's how D&D goes.

Totally agreeing with everyone that Taako not giving a gently caress about the deaths was easily the best part of the episode though.

I was also hoping for that! It would have been pretty interesting, and Magnus has gone on record as having a desire to use the relics for good. That being said, I also think that Travis did a really good job on selling just how hard of a decision it was for Magnus.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Which episode of The Adventure Zone had them trying to come up with a name for their adventuring party and ending on up Trčs Horny Boys?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Practical Demon posted:

I normally don't care to make theories about stories, but after that episode I've got a good one, so here goes:

Magnus was apparently at this town before in one of the red robes, and the red robe knew them and expected them to trust it. All three of them have died many times before, and they all have staticky parts of their lives. I think the static of their lives is a time when they were all members of the red robes. I think that organization was meant to protect the artifacts by hiding them away, and may have even created them by splitting up that god-like being they talked to in the chalice. They died many times and came back probably using the chalice at some point. And somehow their time there was erased from their minds, maybe by the Void Fish or a separate one, which could explain Magnus' connection to the Bureau one. I think the Bureau, or at least the Director, will end up being the villain the red robes were fighting who is actually gathering the relics to revive the being inside them. And the end of the campaign will likely be fighting the Director possessed by that fully reformed being.

I think a lot of this is on point. I also think that the thing that's destroying reality is the same thing that is powering the artifacts, and whenever they destroy a relic, the god fragment that was powering it is released.

I definitely think there is a second voidfish, the way that Magnus can't quite percieve the statue schematic is a textbook reaction to one.

I'm also fairly certain that they were all redrobes at some point. It's the first explanation for why they can resist the temptation of the relics when no one else can, beyond them being PCs and everyone else being an NPC. What I'm most curious about is, were they a team in the red robes as well? If so, what drew them back together? What are the odds that three former redrobes, having had all of their memories erased, all wind up in the same small town bar, looking for a job, at the same time?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

The Adventure Zone is my actual favorite podcast, and I think this is genuinely the best episode yet. It had humor, emotion, action, and it wrapped this whole arc up in a nice bow while at the same time contributing to the overarching plot.

showbiz_liz posted:

What was the explanation for why the bubbles were still there after June dropped the chalice at the end of the previous episode?

You can't get rid of them without the Temporal Chalice or the Chance Lance. (btw, the Chance Lance totally should have been called the Hand of Fate.) The big one surrounding the whole town should have popped, but Istus kept it closed so that she could isolate the town and speed it through all the years it missed.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

The "Great Job!" bit might not be the funniest one they ever did, but it's probably the one that's had the most impact on the world.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

There's an email they send out every so often for people in your situation. It has a form you can fill with your info so they can send you the stuff. It's too late for you, so consider this a PSA.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Man I am getting impatient for the conclusion of the Spore trilogy.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Good night, sweet prince/and flights of Pelippers sing thee to thy rest

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

I'm still stunned he actually thought switching in a Scraggy as a punching bag was a superior option to switching in a loving Pelipper. Scrafty is an incredible poke that, with the right moveset, could carry Griff through the vast majority of the game, and Pelipper...is a loving Pelipper. Like, goofs/Sea Breeze aside Pelipper sucks.

I mean it's all moot because he got rid of both of them but I mean, come on Griffin. If you're Seriously For Real doing this run and not treating it like a goof (which he clearly is), you switch in Pelipper over Scraggy. Like it's not even a contest dude.

The enemy pokemon kept using Thunder Bolt though. Scraggy could have survived that if it wasn't a critical hit. Pelipper would have taken 4x damage from it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

The podcast is Very Good!™

Also, spoilers for the next arc:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

greatn posted:

I was listening to it this evening but I guess was only paying half attention, so I didn't really get what Justin was doing that made Garfield want to trade?

Taako spent 1800 gold and his ring of pointing to obtain two items. The first, the slicer, was an item with no function, but with a persuasive enough argument, you can convince anyone to trade their most valuable item for it. The second was a book that let you gain advantage on every skill check of a certain type once per day.

Taako used the book to gain advantage on persuasion checks, then turned around and traded the slicer right back to Garfield in exchange for his most powerful item, the Burning Raging Poisoning Sword of Doom. Now that he has it, he will never use it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, they only feed people info to the voidfish upon death. I'm surprised that didn't come into play when they lied to the Director about Lucas dying.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Oh my god. 13 minutes in. It's Ja'am.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Jaa'm is the best monster that ever came out of the factory and I will never forgive Will Wright for taking it from us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Just when I think the McElroys have referenced their last TV show that I've never heard of, in comes James Bond Jr. Sometimes I think they're just making these up.