Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

In a distant land, the Demon King was defeated by a lone hero. Three months later, a tournament has been organized to decide who will be the new Demon King.

Among the contestants is a human Hero named Helck. Despite being a human, he's entered the contest to become Demon King himself.

Probably because he hates humans.

Helck is a fantasy action series created by Nanaki Nanao and published in Ura Sunday. It starts off as a sort of comedic series (think something like One-Punch Man), but a sequence of events gradually builds the world and sets up the plot of the story. The series was introduced to goons relatively recently, where it soon began to explode in popularity, so now's as good a time as any to make a thread for it!

CHARACTERS

Helck is an earnest, friendly, loyal, and all-around good-natured person who also happens to be an extremely powerful Hero. He wants to destroy all of humanity, so he enters the tournament to earn the title of Demon King!

Red Vamirio is one of the Four Heavenly Kings of the Empire. She is incredibly suspicious of Helck, thinking he's actually here to destroy all the demons. She later disguises herself as Anne to try and confirm her suspicions of him. Secretly the real hero of the story.

Hon is the secretary.

Piuy is Piuy.

For anyone who's only interested in reading out of goon hype, I can't promise this will meet any lofty expectations you have, but it is a well-made story with engaging characters, interesting scenarios, and a narrative that leaves you wanting more. It is being translated at a great pace, so there's no need to worry about it dropping off anytime soon.

In short, READ HELCK!

Alfalfa The Roach fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Rello just finished posting the scanlation of the last chapter of volume 5 on /a/. Expect it to be on batoto soon, but here is my thougths on it.

El Burbo posted:

I thought I was prepared for the latest Helck chapter. I saw a spoiler page a week ago, I knew what was going to happen.

But I was not prepared. Not at all.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I still haven't gotten around to this, but I really really want to because someone described it as fantasy One Punch Man. Is that basically accurate or am I setting myself up for disappointment

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I still haven't gotten around to this, but I really really want to because someone described it as fantasy One Punch Man. Is that basically accurate or am I setting myself up for disappointment

The similarities start and end at the main character being incredibly strong, but other than that the two series are quite different.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Helck is The Good poo poo.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

For like the first couple chapters, it's a little bit like that. Once the plot gets going it settles into a nice fantasy action story that, while not unique, is really good at what it does, and it's still good at humor whenever it crops up.

If you're expecting it to be completely like OPM, then I'd say you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Just relax and enjoy the ride for what it is.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I like Helck quite a bit, it's a decent fantasy series with likable characters, and it works well for the most part.

I love that not once has Vamiro ever been shown to be in real danger. Like when Helck gets between her and Not Zero Berserker, she doesn't go "that was close, Helck saved me" she goes "phew, I almost blew Helck's face off"

How much of this actually exists right now anyway? It seems like 5 scans a day pop up. Are we almost caught up?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Rodyle posted:

I like Helck quite a bit, it's a decent fantasy series with likable characters, and it works well for the most part.

I love that not once has Vamiro ever been shown to be in real danger. Like when Helck gets between her and Not Zero Berserker, she doesn't go "that was close, Helck saved me" she goes "phew, I almost blew Helck's face off"

How much of this actually exists right now anyway? It seems like 5 scans a day pop up. Are we almost caught up?

60, and translator rello just finished posting 52. Once he catches up it'll be weekly releases.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oh they showed up but Batoto is doing that Random Pages Won't Display gently caress You thing great

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

El Burbo posted:

60, and translator rello just finished posting 52. Once he catches up it'll be weekly releases.

Also worth noting that a lot of chapters start being 2 parts (like 56-1 and 56-2) so there are actually more than 8 chapters left till 60-2, the most recent (to my knowledge) chapter.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Rodyle posted:

Oh they showed up but Batoto is doing that Random Pages Won't Display gently caress You thing great

wait an hour or two. that poo poo happens with every new release on their site.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I love Helck and I love Helck and I love the insane Helck translator.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Helck isn't anything new or different when you get down to it, but for what it is it's very well-done and interesting. Just Good poo poo.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I have read the latest chapters that are on batoto and am exhausted.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Now we know why Helck smiles all the time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Helck isn't anything new or different when you get down to it, but for what it is it's very well-done and interesting. Just Good poo poo.

Well, usually humans are presented as being misguided at worst. Here, a bunch of demon species live peacefully together in a toxic hellscape that continually spawns monsters while cooperating to fight endless waves of outside threats. The humans really don't compare very well even without the mass cho aniki transformation. They are assholes, and if they can't be saved it is no big loss to anyone except Helck whose life is already miserable.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Did Vamiro cut her ears at the same time she cut her hair? They're half as long now as they were in the opening chapters.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Restore Vamiro's ears to proper cuteness length please

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I love Helck's hosed up stupid face.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Countblanc posted:

You will love it even more after the latest chapters.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New chapters are out on Kissmanga:

Chapter 50 - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Helck/Ch-050?id=261407

Chapter 51 - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Helck/Ch-051?id=261408

Chapter 52-A - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Helck/Ch-052a?id=261410

Chapter 52-B - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Helck/Ch-052b?id=261409

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Countblanc posted:

chumbler posted:

You will love it even more after the latest chapters.

This really sticks out now :ohdear:

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

I wasn't going to read this but then I changed my mind and now I am.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Because Helck's date got interrupted we didn't get to see him with a shirt on. This is an outrage.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Nobles aren't humans.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

hell yes.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Nobles aren't humans.

I think the nobles also got hosed.

Deliciouscesium
Apr 10, 2012
It feels like the author mixed together One Punch Man and Slayers...and I am enjoying every panel of it.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
literally crying rn. :smith:

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Update: This is pretty good.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

l33tc4k30fd00m posted:

Update: This is pretty good.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
To me HELCK is like a very good steak. It's not gonna surprise me with hitherto unknown flavors or be presented as molecular foam on top of a sauce that is actually the puree of a baked potato and a salad put together. But it's gonna be a really drat good meal and I will enjoy the poo poo out of it even though I know exactly what I'm gonna get.

Now I'm hungry, and also I want more Helck. Read Helck.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The story isn't as simple as the king being evil and starting all this. I'm not sure the king is even real. There are a ton of plot hooks floating around.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Read the latest translated chapters. Welp, now I'm sad :(

I have absolutely no idea how a manga this good had escaped being scanlated for so long.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm going to suplex the next person who says it doesn't do anything new or interesting.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Off a cliff.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Into a volcano.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010