Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Oh there is also [spoilers for about 3 chapters from now] one other normal human left. Rafaed's daughter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

Why do you think the nobles were spared? No one involved gave a gently caress about propping up the useless nobility. We even saw that fat noble get awakened by the snow, so he was probably told that it wouldn't affect him.
I just assumed that they were fine since they were in on it from the beginning but you're probably right. Helck's not really the most typical example of the human species either.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

El Burbo posted:

Oh there is also [spoilers for about 3 chapters from now] one other normal human left. Rafaed's daughter.

That's not surprising, as it was a very obvious plot hook. She is the one who got him to help Cless in the first place. Regardless of how she was involved there are some interesting possibilities there.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
This was like amusing to milquetoast then bad once it got to the interminable flashback. I dislike that the author seems to go to the same joke setup well for every bit of humor. Like 90% of the jokes in this poo poo are "Theres no way hes gonna do the thing/ppl will do the thing- WAAAA THEY DID THE THING!!"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
wow, what an accurate username

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I don't know why, but I think the mysterious opponents from the North as some kind of evil robot army.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

they just said that in chapter 53 that the only thing keeping the awakened humans from destroying the world is the kings magic. kill the king the awakened people will just rampage across the planet.

Up north the Demon Empire is apparently dealing with an unending horde of giant golems/monsters, which is considered exactly as threatening as the army of heroes could be if they reached their full potential. The best solution might just be to throw the two problems at each other and let them sort each other out.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I wonder if they'll revisit the Toosu-men/Barbarians. The magic used there was eerily similar.

Oh poo poo yeah

When the toosu king died his underlings just threw down their weapons and left.

How would the human king be different?

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
So let me get this straight, Helck is basically Toriko and Komatsu merged into one character?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

ANIME AKBAR posted:

So let me get this straight, Helck is basically Toriko and Komatsu merged into one character?

Also Saitama.

Rogue Lemon
Nov 15, 2012
Helck is better than everyone at everything, ever. Not just punching.

It's fantasy Sakamoto Desu Ka.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Caught up now. ...man that got dark in a hurry, didn't it?

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Rogue Lemon posted:

Helck is better than everyone at everything, ever. Not just punching.

It's fantasy Sakamoto Desu Ka.

Everything except saving people.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Herbotron posted:

I dunno about the one's who retained their sense of self, so far the worst we've seen of them that can't be traced to orders from the king is that they're mad with power, maybe they can be reasoned with, especially if they can actually be threatened with death. Stopping them from rampaging around doesn't necessarily mean killing them.

I doubt they can be reasoned with. We already saw what kind of people they were before the awakening, so if they weren't able to be persuaded by seeing Helck again then I doubt anything would persuade them.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
I want to say that it's been said fairly explicitly (mostly in the flashback chapter but also before) that the Awakened are slaves to the King's orders, almost but not quite absolutely.

And that almost can be mostly chalked up to Cless and being a natural hero.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Humans who awaken naturally retain their free will. Humans who undergo an artificial awakening but had a high compatibility for becoming the real thing on their own get to keep their personality and sense of self, but not their own will.

Everyone else is reduced to a mindless thrall.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Just finished marathoning fifty three chapters and all I can say is this Helck business is some drat good manga.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Chapters 54 and 55 have been translated, they should be up on batoto soon or you can go to 4chan where they get posted first.

New girl, and also we're back to the funny

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Good, I need some happiness after those dour chapters.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

El Burbo posted:

Chapters 54 and 55 have been translated, they should be up on batoto soon or you can go to 4chan where they get posted first.

New girl, and also we're back to the funny

Can't wait to read them tonight or when I should be working tomorrow morning.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

Humans who awaken naturally retain their free will. Humans who undergo an artificial awakening but had a high compatibility for becoming the real thing on their own get to keep their personality and sense of self, but not their own will.

Everyone else is reduced to a mindless thrall.

That doesn't explain Cless, though. He could just barely disobey the king, while Helck had no problem at all.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
I think it'd have to do with having been under the king's influence either before he left to beat the demon king, or being a part of the ritual.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It could also have to do with Helck being Helck.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Cless disobeying was a heroic effort to push past his own limits. Helck disobeying was just Helck being Helck. One possible solution to this whole mess aside from human extinction is how seeing Helck ignore the mind control stuff allowed his friends to resist. They said that this was because Helck was already above the king in their hearts. In short, he has to kill and replace the king. I very much doubt that Helck would ever think of it on his own, though. Dude is just too humble to try to rule anyone.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

It seems to be possible that the awakened heroes can disobey the king. Edil will probably be the first to do it,since in a chapter 60, he begins showing signs that he doesn't actually want Hyura to die.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Serious Frolicking posted:

That doesn't explain Cless, though. He could just barely disobey the king, while Helck had no problem at all.

Helck is stronger. Or has some sort of unexplained power. Cless was not strong enough to disobey the king. I don't think it's more complicated than that. Or Cless was a classic hero while Helck is something else.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The King doesn't have enough gym badges to control Helck who is level 99, duh

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
Rafaed is totally the king, ain't he?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
56 is being posted on /a/. The translator is the real monster

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Theowulv posted:

That's what I'm thinking, I mean the king had a sword in his head, it's got to have been a puppet or something.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Theowulv posted:

Either him or Mikaros I think, and Mikaros is the more evil one out of the two.

Astribulus
Apr 20, 2004
That's the second largest duck I've ever had in my pants. - Guybrush Threepwood

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oh poo poo yeah

When the toosu king died his underlings just threw down their weapons and left.

How would the human king be different?

Aside from their chief, the Toosu-men didn't seem to be awakened. They were just cowed into obedience through fear. The awakened humans are magical thralls to their king*, the vast majority of which appear to have no minds of their own anymore. The more compatible heroes may be willing to peacefully rebuild once freed, but there's no telling what the rest will do. They might rampage uncontrollably like Rafaed posits. They might shut down and starve to death with nothing directing them. Whatever the case, it seems unlikely that they can go back to who they were without something reversing the awakening. It would be prudent to find that solution first. Without it, killing the king is a huge gamble for the lives of most humans.

* Well, the caster anyway. The whole blade-in-the-mask thing makes me question their assumption that the caster is the king, or even that there is a person behind that mask.

Astribulus fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 18, 2016

Elfforkusu
Jan 15, 2011

Lakbay posted:

56 is being posted on /a/. The translator is the real monster
You mean a goddamn hero.

Helck is the early highlight of 2016

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Looks like Alicia's on the suicide squad

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Helck's life would have turned out way different if Piuy had been around.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New chapters are up on Kissmanga.

Chapter 54 - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Helck/Ch-054--A-Rest-on-the-Train?id=261690

Chapter 55 - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Helck/Ch-055--Plan-A?id=261693

Chapter 56 - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Helck/Ch-056--Anxiety?id=261694

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I want to rub piuys fuzzy tummy.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Piuy is the best part of this comic.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Smile: 5

Want to Believe: 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Piuy is going to defeat all foes by being the most adorable, and become unified emperor of the human and demon worlds.

• Locked thread