Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Rodyle posted:

Oh they showed up but Batoto is doing that Random Pages Won't Display gently caress You thing great

wait an hour or two. that poo poo happens with every new release on their site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Helck isn't anything new or different when you get down to it, but for what it is it's very well-done and interesting. Just Good poo poo.

Well, usually humans are presented as being misguided at worst. Here, a bunch of demon species live peacefully together in a toxic hellscape that continually spawns monsters while cooperating to fight endless waves of outside threats. The humans really don't compare very well even without the mass cho aniki transformation. They are assholes, and if they can't be saved it is no big loss to anyone except Helck whose life is already miserable.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The story isn't as simple as the king being evil and starting all this. I'm not sure the king is even real. There are a ton of plot hooks floating around.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

CVE posted:

She was on board with it the entire time. She questioned Helck's motives. Her own were always the same after the Demon King was killed. Only the root guy (that is still alive) really strives for peace so far if I remember things correctly.

She didn't really want to kill all humans, it is just that the only contact the demons have had with humans at all has been heroes coming in to make a big mess. Then shortly after just that happened, here was a hero that was stronger than her who claimed to want to get along. Vamirio's motivations have been completely transparent this whole time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Three people went with Helck to rescue Cless. That'd be the third guy.

Also, I hope the Helck-translating-machine is okay.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Who is the little dude, then?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I figure that humans are descended from a strong, angel-like race and that heroes are throwbacks. The part about going to kill the demon lord is entirely cultural, and they don't have any particular connection to demons at all.

Though that one nobleman seemed to awaken demons while Helck was trying to talk to them. I wonder if that is how they prevented the hero party from communicating with demons? Just repeating the same trick over and over until they all believed that turning giant and attacking was just how demons are.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jan 16, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Helck may not be able to save them by punching things, but he has friends who may be able to help if he punches things for them.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Herbotron posted:

Well, the only real humans left, unless there are more on other continents or something, are Helck and the nobles. I dunno about the one's who retained their sense of self, so far the worst we've seen of them that can't be traced to orders from the king is that they're mad with power, maybe they can be reasoned with, especially if they can actually be threatened with death. Stopping them from rampaging around doesn't necessarily mean killing them.
The awakened who've gone really insane are no different from monsters though, they're really not qualified to be considered to be who they were before.
Or maybe it can be mostly reversed. :shrug:

Why do you think the nobles were spared? No one involved gave a gently caress about propping up the useless nobility. We even saw that fat noble get awakened by the snow, so he was probably told that it wouldn't affect him.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

El Burbo posted:

Oh there is also [spoilers for about 3 chapters from now] one other normal human left. Rafaed's daughter.

That's not surprising, as it was a very obvious plot hook. She is the one who got him to help Cless in the first place. Regardless of how she was involved there are some interesting possibilities there.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
wow, what an accurate username

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

Humans who awaken naturally retain their free will. Humans who undergo an artificial awakening but had a high compatibility for becoming the real thing on their own get to keep their personality and sense of self, but not their own will.

Everyone else is reduced to a mindless thrall.

That doesn't explain Cless, though. He could just barely disobey the king, while Helck had no problem at all.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Cless disobeying was a heroic effort to push past his own limits. Helck disobeying was just Helck being Helck. One possible solution to this whole mess aside from human extinction is how seeing Helck ignore the mind control stuff allowed his friends to resist. They said that this was because Helck was already above the king in their hearts. In short, he has to kill and replace the king. I very much doubt that Helck would ever think of it on his own, though. Dude is just too humble to try to rule anyone.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i wasnt much for the vamirio = vegeta theory, but with that much evidence how could anyone deny it?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ahhhh, poo poo. I should have made my dude in dragons dogma helck.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Helck sees her as a child and a friend, is all.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea helck got sent straight to the demon world at the end of his flashback and the tournament was set to start even before then, so it might even be the same year

In one of the first couple chapters they say that it had been 3 months since the demon king died.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

some time passed between that and the end of the flashback and them presumably between then and the chapter 1 tho doesn't it?

No? It said very clearly that it had been 3 months.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So presumably this poo poo with random heroes going to kill the nearest demon king kept happening. It said the last time was 200 years ago, but some of the demons have much longer life spans so they remember it clearly. So for the previous iterations either the hero succeeded and caused an increase in monsters or they failed and were never heard from again. I'm not sure why heroes would be venerated by humans if they never produced results.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
You know, despite the name I never really considered that new world organisms were literally from a different world, much less that it was the world the dickbag duo kept leeching off of.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I like how the demons are pretty on top of things despite being such silly weirdos. It probably helps that they have had external threats and strong leadership for thousands of years.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Vamirio is an elf, yeah.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Azudora doesn't know the specifics of what happened to humanity. He especially doesn't know about them going berserk if the king dies, which of course that may not be true.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
His jolly face is also his depressed face.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The characters have changed from the first few chapters. Vamirio's tendency to rage uncontrollably is gone, as is Helck's tendency to play around. Whether that is due to character development or gradual revisions by the author is unclear, but also unimportant.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The empire has a problem with new world organisms. Mikaros keeps trying to yank open big old gates to the world they come from. They are only invading the empire at all so that he can get at their barrier crystals, though Edil still likes to pretend otherwise. I dunno what his goal is past opening the portals, since Mikaros has yet to do so successfully. It may be that the whole awakened human thing was solely to provide troops to occupy a castle long enough for him to do his thing.

Unrelated, but I absolutely love how Hyura rips Edil apart verbally before ripping him apart physically. She is harsh as hell but very accurate in her criticism.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The cursed sword hasn't been very important because that was the only real fight Helck has had outside of flashbacks and also because he has no idea of how to use a sword.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Shiiiiit, the weekly chapters are only half chapters.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So, exactly what is up with that Rafaed guy since Mikaros seems to treat him as an equal?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like the comedic parts better than the serious parts but it is all still very good. the only thing about helck i do not like is how it is incomplete.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
helck does not wear shirts!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I guess Azudora's incessant teasing of Vamirio is pretty understandable, now. She always has great, unpredictable reactions.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ah, so piuy is actually a cat. this explains so much.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Mikaros has made non-humans go berserk, but he hasn't awakened any humans. Whether the awakening and the berserk thing are different is unclear. None of the demons grew wings, at least. We haven't seen Rafaed fight or much of anything else. He has always been hanging out while the king and Mikaros do stuff. I suppose the obvious answer would be that he is the one doing the mind control, which would make him a huge goddamn rear end in a top hat considering the latest chapter.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Yeah, we don't really know anything about Rafaed. It seemed like he was keeping his daughter safe, but considering he used her to spread agonizing enslavement magic across the kingdom I don't think it was due to sentiment.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

tsob posted:

Isn't it 100% of the time? I thought the only humans it didn't work on were ones who were already awakened, which would mean that Sharuami is safe from it's effects even if she goes outside since she's already awakened.

Why do you believe she is awakened? She has a unique power, but magic isn't unique to heroes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Cless wasn't awakened from birth, otherwise he would not have gotten sick and almost died. She was able to keep up with Cless until he awakened. They found a kid who would awaken as a hero. That is why they waited until Cless was an adult. If they had used Helck instead they could have started at any time. As for why the snow didn't affect her, why can't she just be immune to her own power? Or maybe it spreads outward with her as the origin point, so no snowflakes would hit her to begin with.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Everyone keeps saying the snow is Sharuami's power. Is that indicated somewhere and I just missed it? I never got that impression.

Uh, it is clearly stated? She can create snow which can spread other powers. The human awakening was spread via snow. Did you not read the latest chapter?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

tsob posted:

Yea, it was. I was re-reading that section earlier and noticed that specifically, but no-one else was getting sick that we saw or anything to indicate it was her powers at work. Then again, it could be that because she was so young her snow wasn't doing anything except to Cless on that night, since she was paying special attention to him or something like that.

It was snowing, but her snow doesn't do anything on its own. It can spread another power out and cannot be blocked. If it has other effects Sharuami either does not know or was lying to Asuta. That was probably just normal snow, because it was winter and Cless became ill due to the cold and malnutrition. Even if she was putting out snow at that time it wouldn't have had any effect on anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
They specifically need Cless to awaken people. They awakened Cless in order to use him to awaken people, even though they already have someone who can spread powers? You might as well say that Mikaros is trying to use an army of awakened humans to open a portal to another world in order to obtain an army of awakened humans. poo poo's dumb.

• Locked thread