Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Just so we're clear here, Sharky's absolutely correct when he says saying Helck does nothing new or interesting is a pretty dumb statement. Try to do that less.

Originality is not a prerequisite of quality - though I'd argue Helck has both - so throwing that line out there is effectively a conversation nonstarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's gonna end with everyone dead.
No.

I believe in Helck.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Pretty sure that other guy is supposed to be the hard-nosed but good-hearted noble guy, just beautified due to the hero gene.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Not quite. In the flashback arc he appears more stone-faced and serious, whereas when he shows up in the present he's sharp and elegant with wavier hair.

Not a huge surprise, but it stuck out at me when I went back to comb through earlier chapters.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 16, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

El Burbo posted:

I think the wavier hair is just because of earlier art. He looks much more like he did in the flashback in future chapters, except evil-looking.

Hmm, I thought it was just one of those things where of course the hero gene makes you prettier/more handsome if you've got the right resonance.

Oh well.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

El Burbo posted:

I don't think the power of the hero is something genetic. It seems to be a some otherworldy power that's related to the poison in the demon land and the New World Organisms.
I'm just calling it that for short, I don't know/think/presume it's actually something genetic - beyond the fact that all humans apparently possesses the "Potential" to become heroes in a way that other species do not.

Thus far the series seems to suggest an unholy marriage of magic and medicine.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Helck's allies may be done for but he can still "Save" them in the sense that they can be freed from the fate that's befallen them.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It's possible simply killing the Human King will be enough to free everyone from his thrall, but while that's all well and good for the people who retained their sense of self what about those who lost their identities?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Well, that answers that then.

I saw chapter 53 got uploaded to Batoto but the site kept crashing and not loading pages so I figured I'd just look into it later.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I have now read chapter 53 and I'm glad Vamirio finally trusts Helck.

Anyway, yeah, Sharky's right. You gotta take anything the bad guys say in this situation with a grain of salt.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

There are probably a few pockets of humanity left untainted but yeah, the vast majority of us would have to be put down.

Surviving humans would be an endangered species.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Humans who awaken naturally retain their free will. Humans who undergo an artificial awakening but had a high compatibility for becoming the real thing on their own get to keep their personality and sense of self, but not their own will.

Everyone else is reduced to a mindless thrall.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

chumbler posted:

Oh god, looks like some death flags are being raised for Asuta.
Asuta can't die because she's great and is going to be my next avatar.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Finally managed to catch one of Rello's threads.

I'm glad we're almost caught up but I'm sad we won't have any more mass chapter uploads.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Really hoping Zell manages to rebel or snap out of it or something.

Dude might've been a stick in the mud in a past life but he seemed to know right from wrong.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'm alright with people linking to 4chan as long as people know what they're clicking is a 4chan link.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

In retrospect it was probably kosher for Sharky (and Burbo) to edit that picture back in since the new chapter's officially out now, but since a lot of people use this thread to check if there's a new chapter, let's not be posting pictures from future chapters before those chapters have been linked to in the thread.

Sorry Sharky. Least you can sleep this one off.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 26, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

mabels big day posted:

I've seen cooler.
Same.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Ccs posted:

Guys, Ura Sunday, the magazine that publishes Helck, has a competition to vote for which of their manga will get adapted into an anime. Helck was at number 4 during the voting period when this was reported on. Now, a year later when we all know about it, can we help it get to number 1 and get adapted?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-01-28/ura-sunday-lets-fans-vote-for-manga-to-get-anime-adaptation/.83787
  1. It's currently ranked No. 2
  2. People outside of Japan can't vote that I'm aware of

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I hope the train guy with the awesome beard comes back.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Child Vamirio is intensely displeased.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

That's a pretty cool page.

Having a little consideration for your fellow posters is also pretty cool. Find a way to combine both and you could be double-plus cool, which would be pretty, pretty cool.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Internet spoiler culture, in general, is poisonous, paranoid, and overbearing, so there's definitely something to be said for being more relaxed and less fussy about spoiler. I myself don't particularly care about spoilers, and having important moments spoiled for me usually doesn't detract from my enjoyment of something.

That said, there's something to be said for people being able to check the thread for a series they're excited about, wondering if there's any word of an update, and not having an enormous, difficult to ignore, seemingly important scene thrust before their eyes before they're even had the chance to read it because someone else has decided for them that it's not a spoiler.

Have a little common courtesy.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I was gonna divide up my post between these quotes but then decided it was probably obvious enough what I was talking about at any given moment.

Sharkopath posted:

Spoiler culture is bad and poisonous, but let's have some common courtesy and continue to perpetuate the myth of spoiler culture.

Sharkopath posted:

It's not a scene, single panels without dialogue where all subjects aren't visible is the equivalent of promotional stills for film where somebody is ensconced in shadow.

A picture of piuy would also be a spoiler to a new reader if you proscribe to the idea that any image at all would negatively impact the virginal reading experience.

If you use common sense it's easy to determine what is too revealing instead of blindly fumbling about because you are afraid of the dastardly spoilers.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

After the update is announced you'd think it'd be common sense that anything following it would be a potential spoiler.

:shrug:
Spoiler culture is bad because it results in people overreacting, stifling discussion, and acting ridiculously vicious over typically the most superficial aspects of fictional events, but that doesn't mean spoilers in and of themselves aren't still necessarily a problem. In the rules post for this subforum I ask people not to be jerks about spoilers in the same breathe I ask people not to be crybabies about them, and overall I've probably come down more on the crybabies than the jerks.

I don't think people should make such a big deal about spoilers, but I also think it's important to be considerate of other people's desire to not be spoiled. I also don't think just "Any" picture or piece of information constitutes a spoiler, and I laugh when I read posts/reports where people are mad about insignificant details like a new character showing up or what have you.

The issue with this particular picture and post was several-fold. First off, I actually agree that once the chapter/episode/whatever has been made available for everyone, "Spoiler" talk is immediately fair game and black bars are annoying anyway. As some others have commented, however, 4chan isn't exactly a board a lot of people feel comfortable visiting )for reasons both real and imagined), and some people can't access it anyway due to network restrictions, so I wouldn't really consider that a public release in the same way as having the chapter crop up elsewhere. Other people have already made this argument, I'm just agreeing with them. Secondly, the way checking the last post/scrolling through the thread works, a brief post like Burbo's followed by an enormous picture post like Sharky's are both going to show up at the same time on the screen, so a lot of people won't have the chance to register that they shouldn't be looking below Burbo's post before they've actually looked below Burbo's post - especially since images attract the eye moreso than text. This problem could just be solved by waiting a bit to post the picture, remote linking the picture, or heck, even double-posting "Gonna post this cool picture," then posting the picture. The latter scares off people who can't yet read the new chapter, but at least nobody gets taken by surprise.

The third thing is, well, the last few chapters have revolved around Edil and Hyura, Edil opening up to Hyura who he's come to love fighting against, and what's more showing some autonomy, the ability to break free of the king's control. So immediately following up the announcement of a new chapter with a (wordless) image of an heroic human (Edil by implication) with black wings and a shadowy face hovering ominously over Hyura who stands aghast, yeah, I can see how that would rub some people the wrong way with regard to implying the course of events and fate of the characters.

Anyway, this is a lot more about spoilers than I ever expected to be typing up and now the chapter's out anyway so it's all a bunch of stuff that happened in the past. My honest response to most spoilers is just "Huh, well then," but as the mod of this subforum I do have a responsibility to try and see and explain both sides and reach an arrangement - or at the very least an understanding - that both parties can accept (even if they ultimately still disagree).

TL;DR People should stop freaking out when other people posts spoilers or potential spoilers, but potential spoiler posters should also be a little more careful as a matter of common courtesy. Text can easily be skipped over the minute one realizes they're reading something they shouldn't, so talking about spoilers is pretty much never a problem IMO unless it's literally outta nowhere; a big image however is a bit more intrusive.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I meant what I said at the beginning of this tangent though: it really is a cool picture.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Postmodernism is really starting to get out of hand.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

We already decided that you idjits, nobody reads this thread.
I read the thread, I just want to clarify my terms in my own words since I'm usually the one who has to intervene.

But that's enough posting about posting about posting.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

All posts below this line shall concern Helck and Helck-related memorabilia.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It's a shame Japanese volumes are often smaller and more fragile than their American printings cause they certainly look a lot nicer.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

I wouldn't say more fragile, the bindings just a bit thinner. Paperstock is still really nice.
Fragile might not have been the best word, but the Japanese volumes I own have certainly proven to be comparably less sturdy than their American counterparts, and I tend to take good care of the things I own.

None of them are torn or anything, but reading them I always feel like I've gotta be a lot more careful.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tog9GjczJVE

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Terper posted:

comment section
Enough!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PWk3i9WT-8

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I actually heard them say "HELCK. I need somebody. HELCK. Not just anybody,' at first.
That is what I was hoping for, yes.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Art bad

Then, art good

Yes
I miss Helck's big nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood