Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

In a distant land, the Demon King was defeated by a lone hero. Three months later, a tournament has been organized to decide who will be the new Demon King.

Among the contestants is a human Hero named Helck. Despite being a human, he's entered the contest to become Demon King himself.

Probably because he hates humans.

Helck is a fantasy action series created by Nanaki Nanao and published in Ura Sunday. It starts off as a sort of comedic series (think something like One-Punch Man), but a sequence of events gradually builds the world and sets up the plot of the story. The series was introduced to goons relatively recently, where it soon began to explode in popularity, so now's as good a time as any to make a thread for it!

CHARACTERS

Helck is an earnest, friendly, loyal, and all-around good-natured person who also happens to be an extremely powerful Hero. He wants to destroy all of humanity, so he enters the tournament to earn the title of Demon King!

Red Vamirio is one of the Four Heavenly Kings of the Empire. She is incredibly suspicious of Helck, thinking he's actually here to destroy all the demons. She later disguises herself as Anne to try and confirm her suspicions of him. Secretly the real hero of the story.

Hon is the secretary.

Piuy is Piuy.

For anyone who's only interested in reading out of goon hype, I can't promise this will meet any lofty expectations you have, but it is a well-made story with engaging characters, interesting scenarios, and a narrative that leaves you wanting more. It is being translated at a great pace, so there's no need to worry about it dropping off anytime soon.

In short, READ HELCK!

Alfalfa The Roach fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I still haven't gotten around to this, but I really really want to because someone described it as fantasy One Punch Man. Is that basically accurate or am I setting myself up for disappointment

For like the first couple chapters, it's a little bit like that. Once the plot gets going it settles into a nice fantasy action story that, while not unique, is really good at what it does, and it's still good at humor whenever it crops up.

If you're expecting it to be completely like OPM, then I'd say you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Just relax and enjoy the ride for what it is.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Just read the latest chapters this morning and :negative:

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

OP has been fixed.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

How the gently caress did I miss this

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Maybe Helck's entire story is all lies and he actually is going to destroy the demons

Helck would never do something like that. He only hates humans.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Smile: 5

Want to Believe: 5

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

He forgot one very important piece of evidence:

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Helck is a So Good Hipsters Dislike It Out Of Spite/10

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Sharuami is the best :allears:

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Even Helck would not forgive Sharkopath

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Actually we're the demon world and you coming in here posting unmarked spoilers wantonly is something only a filthy human could do

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Vamirio really does care about Helck :unsmith:

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I added a little blurb to her profile

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Helck and Anne from Management are gonna save the gently caress out of Mikaros

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Wanna get that Piuy pillow

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Holy drat. Argent energy indeed

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Made an important, long-awaited addition to the OP

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Wait

Is Sharuami the final boss

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I've been playing Persona 5 recently so I just listened to Will Power while reading this chapter and it fit perfectly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Reading all these chapters with Persona 5 music has been a highlight of my month

• Locked thread