Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

it's finally here: the best 2D Metroid available on Wii u. it looks insanely good on gamepad...who else picked up this classic. I'm doing a No Long Beam playthrough atm. I think I'll do another run of no charge beam and the try to do speedruns. I've also never actually beaten hard 100%, I might try that too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's a two way tie for first

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Black Baby Goku posted:

I played this game every day on my GBA SP in 2nd period study hall, couldn't believe there was more game after killing mother brain

Jersey boy here, on drives down the shore on weekends I would always pack this for the ride and got to the point where I could beat it on normal before the drive was done. Epic summer memories attached to this classic game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Super Metroid in the zero mission engine would be untouchable. It still feels good but the movement and specifically wall jumps in ZM feel just better enough that swapping between the two makes you notice the lack in SM.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

M2 are the guys who do the 3D Classics series too, right? They're awesome.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wormskull posted:

Trying to jack off was telling me this and Super Mario RPG have been on the australia Wii U for years now and it pissed me right off.

On EU store as well. They get everything early, it's bullcrap. Woolly World and Paper Jam came out months before te US release.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mycophobia posted:

I wish there was a way to instantly unlock hard mode. I don't think I've ever done a hard 100% run

You can beat the game pretty quick on normal, so it's not a big deal. It's also a good warmup to remember where everything is

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I have reached Chozodia in ~90 minutes. Wasn't attempting to complete this quickly but I think I have enough time to beat it in under 2hours for the speedrun ending...wish me luck.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think I fell a couple minutes short...credits scrolling now, will update soon.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh hell yes.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Now for 100% hard, which will probably take a while longer. I've never done it, and it sounds tough.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hard does not gently caress around.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Brinstar ballspark super missile took me forever 12 years ago but its like imprinted in my muscle memory and i busted it out in one attempt.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hard Mode is a lot of fun and im dreading the powered up Meta Ridley.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ridley down. I had 48 health left phew

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm going crazy though because I can't for the life of me remember how you're supposed to actually get super missiles because I've only done it once, and now I can't get that last suoer missile upgrade on the Ridley map

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I meant the first one you're supposed to get guarded by the boss. I almost always skip it because there's lots of faster super missiles. But I found it, forgot you had to pop into the previous boss room and drop down through the hole in its corpse. On Chozodia and then the final sweep before tackling 100% Meta Ridley...could be a tough afternoon ahead of me

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ralp posted:

My second favorite part of the game. I was so extremely pleased with myself when I first figured that one out.

On my last 100% run, I nailed my first attempt of that puzzle room where you have to sprint in, blast away breakable blocks and a missile block, then somersault a perfect arc through the speed blocks. :cool:

The room directly below that with the winding bomb snake pisses me off!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

Oh badass, you can see how many powerups of each type are in every area on the map after you beat the game.

Also your current time in the lower left. It's a nice touch for repeat playthroughs

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's also a time attack mode tang will keep a leader lard on your cart with time and completion %

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I just got the last energy tank in Chozodia and after dinner it's time to finish the game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Time attack mode* and leaderboard*. Phone posting 😒

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm watching the AGDQ 2014 Zero Mission Hard Mode Low % run and it's godlike.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqLa4LP2BRg&t=1396s :worship:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The tourian section is like half the run and kind of tedious but it's amazing that he makes it through the whole thing with only 4 missiles and no health tanks.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wormskull posted:

That guy is my homey with the extremely white hands and IIRC during that run someone says in a donation comment, Hello Dragon Darch. This is Dragon Claws. which was some win.

Yeah, he says "Glad to see all my training paid off" or something and then put 1,000 dollars on the table and said I'm taking 50 off for every death. No pressure.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kinda bummed there's no different photo for Hard Mode but meh. The 100% final boss on Hard is loving awesome and this was kind of a gaming white whale for me. The first time I beat the boss I finished the escape with one hit left and I was freaking out because of how close it was and then that loving pirate who's hiding in your ship killed me. I had to laugh at how much of a dispshit I felt like.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

There's a different picture for hard mode @ sub 15%.

I'm not powerful enough for Low %.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zero Mission is cool too because all the way to the end of the game the developers accounted for you having nothing but one missile upgrade and morph ball bombs and put in alternate paths to bypass everything

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Omg this run ended up being a WR.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ralp posted:

the right side of Norfair has an enormous vertical shaft that is hidden better than almost anything in the game. It is completely empty and mysterious and for years I never understood why it was even there. when I first watched a speedrun and realized what you just posted, it blew my loving mind

I didn't know there were similarly hidden shafts in Chozodia as well until I just watched this low% run.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

zero mission was a labor of love basically designed to please enthusiasts, while also being a fantastic game on the surface to the average player. now nintendo "doesn't have the resources" for a metroid game :(

I get a little misty-eyed every time I boot this up and see (C) 2004. Any day now folks, they'll make another one.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Id rather something all new tbh. Super is still extremely playable and looks great, it just has slightly different physics than ZM/Fusion. Doesn't really need a remake

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Metroid 2 is kinda fun from what I recall. I beat it once forever ago and never returned, it's the Metroid I'm least familiar with. Eradicating all the Metroids as the overarching game mechanic is a neat idea

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bill Barber posted:

Don't wanna sound like a retart here but Metroid 2 is the gameboy one right?

Yah. It's kinda ugly because of that though, all monochrome and big blocks.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ok so if I'm planning a low %, how many pickups are there total in ZM. Surprisingly trick to find a guide or something, only videos of 9%/10% runs and I know I can go to 15% so I wanna see what my options are like

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Looks like it's 1% per pickup and the bare minimum is 9%, so that's 6 safety pickups. I think I could manage a normal 15% run.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Nintendo account stuff is already live in Japan but I don't know too much about it. I do know that you get 30% off a lot of big name Nintendo releases during your birthday month now.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This is the full list of 30% off games btw

Splatoon
Mario Maker
Xenoblade X
Yoshi's Woolly World
Mario Party 10
Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer
Fire Emblem Fates
Rhythm Heaven The Best Plus
Girls Mode (Style Savvy) 3
Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bill Barber posted:

Is it like a one time coupon thing or can you buy every single one of those during your birthday month and save 30% every single time? :wth:

I think theyre all 30% off

• Locked thread