Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mabels big day posted:

ok... using the beetles to eat away the slimy vine things you can't destroy is incredible

my favorite part of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
all the bosses in ZM are the perfect difficulty on normal and on hard, except for regular Ridley who dies too easily (:(), and the endboss on hard + 100% who becomes super hard and brutally punishing of every mistake, which is actually also the perfect difficulty as an extra-hard bonus challenge.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

The Brinstar ballspark super missile took me forever 12 years ago but its like imprinted in my muscle memory and i busted it out in one attempt.

My second favorite part of the game. I was so extremely pleased with myself when I first figured that one out.

On my last 100% run, I nailed my first attempt of that puzzle room where you have to sprint in, blast away breakable blocks and a missile block, then somersault a perfect arc through the speed blocks. :cool:

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
attack mode tane.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

this is loving sick

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I only attempted 15% once, then paused it to have dinner and came back and grabbed like three missile tanks before I realized what I was doing. :cripes:

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

I'm not powerful enough for Low %.

the game is hard but fighting the urge to powerup is what's harder

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

Zero Mission is cool too because all the way to the end of the game the developers accounted for you having nothing but one missile upgrade and morph ball bombs and put in alternate paths to bypass everything

the right side of Norfair has an enormous vertical shaft that is hidden better than almost anything in the game. It is completely empty and mysterious and for years I never understood why it was even there. when I first watched a speedrun and realized what you just posted, it blew my loving mind

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
SM doesn't need a remake but Metroid 2 does

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was reading about 15%/low% runs and they say the power grip is a must-have item only because of a barrier in Norfair. This sounded fishy, but here it is. It just disappears when you get power grip

:negative: zero mission... how could you :cry:

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

Low% mother brain was a nightmare but I don't think any of the rest of the game should pose a problem, since Hard mode ship is basically identical to low% ship where you can't ever get hit

black space pirates maybe. what beams did you grab

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:bravo: except without the inherent implied sarcasm

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

Low% mother brain was a nightmare but I don't think any of the rest of the game should pose a problem, since Hard mode ship is basically identical to low% ship where you can't ever get hit

I'm doing 14% mother brain (on normal) and it sucks, I really want to go back to pick up Screw Attack for my last item except I think that room is probably the furthest possible distance away

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I believe the Ridley trick works because in that position he always wants to go into a little swoop to try to grab Samus and pick her up (and fails). This is my hunch based on no research nor reverse engineering nor pixel/frame counting etc, but it just sorta seems like that's what happens based on what he does when I mess it up. Too far in front of him, his swoop+grab succeeds; too far behind him, he tries a different move instead (often the tail swipe). His fireballs are probably just on a random timer and when it's up he does those regardless of what else is going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

By my count she fights the thing 10 times in 9 games. Haven't played Pinball or Hunters, but the only classic Metroid game Ridley isn't in is II.

By my count she only fights him twice (not counting Other M because I didn't play it). The Ridley fight in Zero Mission and the original are the same event, then he comes back in Super Metroid. All the other times are actually Meta-Ridley, or Omega-Ridley, or an unfinished robot Ridley, or X parasites masquerading as Ridley.

edit wait three times, counting Ceres Station

Ralp fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 26, 2016

• Locked thread