Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
This thread has been more entertaining than the movie itself. Holy poo poo, MisterBibs, you are a very stupid individual to be so condescending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Finally saw this dumb terrible brilliant film.

She gets out if the hatch, rips her suit, hears the birds, takes her gas mask off, gets in the truck and drives away. There's a lightning flash in the last shot, which reveals the silhouette of something that looks vaguely like the monster from the first movie way off in the distance, but it could just be a trick of the light or cloud formation.

Solid 8.5/10

I won't watch it again because if I do the film might try to trick me again with that fake ending.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was a ship.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CelticPredator posted:

It was a ship.

There weren't any ships in the movie.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

CelticPredator posted:

It was a ship.

Looked like a pot of honey to me!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Steve2911 posted:

Finally saw this dumb terrible brilliant film.

She gets out if the hatch, rips her suit, hears the birds, takes her gas mask off, gets in the truck and drives away. There's a lightning flash in the last shot, which reveals the silhouette of something that looks vaguely like the monster from the first movie way off in the distance, but it could just be a trick of the light or cloud formation.

Solid 8.5/10

I won't watch it again because if I do the film might try to trick me again with that fake ending.

It was just another ship lol, it wasn't the monster from the first movie.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I am thoroughly impressed by this film's ability to make people smugly hallucinate.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Das Boo posted:

I am thoroughly impressed by this film's ability to make people smugly hallucinate.

Dude no it was totally a honeypot trap set up by the aliens to make the survivors go to them.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

In a way it does look like the cloverfield monster. Nothing a few re-shoots and photoshop can't fix.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 15, 2016

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Guys, I think Steve posted his ideal ending, and is jokingly refusing to believe the actual ending happened.

I think?

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 15, 2016

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mierenneuker posted:

Looked like a pot of honey to me!

Still waiting for this.

quote:

Good movie. Can't wait for the animated gifs of Mary Elizabeth Winstead driving while listening to Ben's message with MisterBibs' posts subtitled underneath it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Slugworth posted:

Guys, I think Steve posted his ideal ending, and is jokingly refusing to believe the actual ending happened.

I think?

:shrug:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I mean... did people seriously not pick up on that? He was obviously joking.

That said, I think he was wrong. I loved the ending. I also loved the audacity of shooting a two million dollar movie with a fifty million dollar ending.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

tazjin posted:

I thought it was fun, but in general movies annoy me if the main characters don't just simply sit down and discuss their issues at least once. It could've still gone to poo poo as Howard was obviously an actual psycho but the plot device of everyone just miscommunicating vaguely all the time is getting old.

In that regard, I really enjoyed the board game segment where the keyword is woman, and the hint is Michelle. Howard suggests girl, child and princess. That was genuinely disturbing despite coming right after the cheap and lovely exchange where he goes "I know what you are up to!"

Cymoril
Jul 1, 2005

Kittens Warm the World
Dinosaur Gum
I thought the main character was a moron. Her paranoia in the beginning made sense, but after her run in with an infected person trying to smash their skull into the door, why did she continue plotting against her captor despite how creepy he was? He made no move to harm either of them during however long they lingered down there, and that other guy corroborated the story that something Very Bad happened outside.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Because he seemed insane

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
If I'm with Russell Williams during a tornado I'm definitely gonna try to get out of the storm cellar.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cymoril posted:

I thought the main character was a moron. Her paranoia in the beginning made sense, but after her run in with an infected person trying to smash their skull into the door, why did she continue plotting against her captor despite how creepy he was? He made no move to harm either of them during however long they lingered down there, and that other guy corroborated the story that something Very Bad happened outside.

They found a picture of a missing girl that he was pretending to be his daughter?

Even if they thought they could never, ever have gone outside, they could've made a case for killing/incapacitating John Badman and keeping the bunker for themselves after a handful of creepy incidents.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Das Boo posted:

While MrBib is an idiot, the idiocy was exacerbated by the director being a first-timer who doesn't convey information effectively. Trachtenberg is very over-reliant on expository dialogue.

For example, you have the plot twist where "that's not his daughter". The basic idea of 'there are two different people' should be extremely easy to visualize. Just show two different people. Trachtenberg instead, inexplicably, shows two pictures of one person, supplemented with pure expository dialogue. That's bad storytelling.

In the case of the ending, Bibs' stupidity has unwittingly shown that a basic plot point - that the heroine has decided to join up with a human resistance group to fight aliens - is expressed purely through an audio transmission. We are never actually shown any human resistance. We're just shown a picture of a radio, and then a spaceship.

What you should ask yourself is why we even have this lightning flash that reveals the ship. Why not just show a ship attacking the city? By playing coy, the hidden ship reads as a plot twist or 'Easter Egg'. And this implies that Michelle is unaware of (and therefore unprepared for) the existence of this ship - which is the opposite of the basic Terminator reference. The director simply hosed up the idea that the aliens are like a storm, and that Michelle is a storm-chaser. You may be able to follow the plot, because of the expository dialogue, but the storytelling is bad.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Aug 17, 2016

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Das Boo posted:

"The two Polaroids showed different girls!"
"No, that is his Howard posing with his actual daughter."

It was very amusing.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mierenneuker posted:

It was very amusing.

Ha, maybe the entire movie was a lesson on the danger of taking inappropriate selfies. The chick found his, and then like a half hour later BAM dead and there's loving aliens everywhere.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Mierenneuker posted:

It was very amusing.
I admit I was wrong there but...

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

For example, you have the plot twist where "that's not his daughter". The basic idea of 'there are two different people' should be extremely easy to visualize. Just show two different people. Trachtenberg instead, inexplicably, shows two pictures of one person, supplemented with pure expository dialogue. That's bad storytelling.
....this is the issue with it. It's weak visual storytelling. The second picture adds nothing.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I might be wrong but wasn't the Cloverfield monster a Cthulhu-type ancient beast hibernating at the bottom of the ocean until a fallen satellite woke it up? When did the franchise take a turn into technologically advanced aliens?

HaroldofTheRock posted:

I liked this movie. What are some other good bunker movies? Here are some bunker movies I've seen:

Hidden
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2131532/?ref_=nv_sr_1
A family hiding in an underground bunker. It's implied there are some kind of monsters outside. Pretty slow moving but overall ok until the final act, when it becomes really stupid.

Aftermath
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1564368/?ref_=rvi_tt
A realistic portrait of random strangers trying to survive a nuclear fallout by making an emergency bunker out of a basement. I liked this one. DEPRESSING AS HELL.

The Divide
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1535616/?ref_=nv_sr_1
More random strangers hiding from nuclear fallout. From what I remember, everyone in this movie is a god drat idiot. Didn't like, won't watch again. But it does have Michael Biehn as a prepper.

There's also The Hole with Keira Knightley, Thora Birch and Quinn from Dexter. It's about a bunch of private school teens who find a WWII era bunker and decide to throw a party in it only to get locked in and no one knows they're there. Decent flick but the twists are pretty predictable.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

God Hole posted:

I might be wrong but wasn't the Cloverfield monster a Cthulhu-type ancient beast hibernating at the bottom of the ocean until a fallen satellite woke it up? When did the franchise take a turn into technologically advanced aliens?

The Cloverfield ARG, like 10 Cloverfield Lane, has little or no connection to the 2008 movie. In the 2008 movie, a single monster just randomly falls out of the sky and attacks New York.

In the ARG they say "no wait that wasn't a monster that fell! It was [a convoluted shaggy dog story about a secret doomsday fish cult soft drink conspiracy]".

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I always figured with how easy to miss the thing falling was it existed just for people who followed the ARG. As far as the movie was concerned the monster just was because gently caress exposition.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I admit I was wrong there but...

....this is the issue with it. It's weak visual storytelling. The second picture adds nothing.
It adds that he's done this before and that he probably is making poo poo up.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Ahh gently caress it. It was a fun movie.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

CelticPredator posted:

It adds that he's done this before and that he probably is making poo poo up.

It only takes the first picture to establish that. At most, the second one only adds to how far he's gone with the tied hands, but it's extremely hard to even notice without pausing the movie.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

If you didn't really see the photo it does keep you guessing, which I'd argue to be a good thing for a movie like this.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

"the Wrap" posted:

The mysterious upcoming J.J. Abrams-produced film”God Particle” will be the latest movie connected to the producer’s cult hit “Cloverfield,” an insider familiar with the project told TheWrap.

Not only will “Particle” be the third in a series of connected “Cloverfield” films, but Abrams and studio partner Paramount Pictures are quietly developing more movies for the shared universe, the individual said. Both parties hope to release a new film in the shared “Cloverfield” each year, the insider added.

http://www.thewrap.com/jj-abrams-god-particle-next-film-cloverfield-series-exclusive/

I never imagined I'd be seeing two Cloverfield movies in the span of a year, let alone one every year now. I'm thrilled about this, whether it connects itself to the previous two or continues to be an anthology. Annual ARGs seem fun too.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

That's honestly not a terrible idea. They could keep picking up sci-fi movies that would have no hope of getting made and slapping the Cloverfield name on it until money stops coming in.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I like that JJ has reached the point in his career where he is 100℅ willing to throw away any shred of dignity or artistic integrity in the name of boosting profits on whatever film he's producing

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

"JJ, the studio doesn't like the script/choice of actors and isn't giving us the budget you wanted"

"Call it a Cloverfield Universe film"

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Ah yes, known bad actors David Oyelowo and Daniel Bruhl.

Just like in 10 Cloverfield starring known bad actors Mary Elizabeth Winstead and John Goodman.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

GorgonSmithe posted:

Ah yes, known bad actors David Oyelowo and Daniel Bruhl.

Not saying theyre bad but even after googling them i barely had a clue who they were.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I like that JJ has reached the point in his career where he is 100℅ willing to throw away any shred of dignity or artistic integrity in the name of boosting profits on whatever film he's producing

If it makes it more likely that these kinds of movies get made, who cares?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah I'm fine with 'Cloverfield' being a JJ produced sci fi anthology. It's like a big dumb Twilight Zone or Black Mirror. What could be more fun.

They're never going to be perfect films, but I think POV Godzilla movie and John Goodman Basement Capture are two movies I'll remember fondly, and think about for a long time, and that's what really counts.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

well why not posted:

Yeah I'm fine with 'Cloverfield' being a JJ produced sci fi anthology. It's like a big dumb Twilight Zone or Black Mirror. What could be more fun.

They're never going to be perfect films, but I think POV Godzilla movie and John Goodman Basement Capture are two movies I'll remember fondly, and think about for a long time, and that's what really counts.

Agreed. I really enjoyed both films and for completely different reasons. 10 Cloverfield Lane was really suspenseful, and even knowing beforehand that, yes, there were actual aliens outside the bunker, they kept me guessing on John Goodman's character until the 3rd act. The icing on the cake was seeing it with my wife who hadn't even heard of the original Cloverfield film and seeing her reaction at the alien reveal.

I hope at some point I can find a theater screening of Cloverfield again. That movie just hit all the right giant monster movie beats for me, and because of it being a "found footage" style flim, I really got sucked into it with a huge screen and booming surround sound. Maybe I'm alone on this but that's one of the few movies I've left the theater having felt I had an "experience" rather than just seeing a film. It wasn't a perfect movie by any stretch, but something about it stuck with me.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Speaking of Black Mirror, if you liked this movie the director made the second episode of Black Mirror Season 3, and it's also very good, worth checking out and on Netflix. The show's an anthology so you can watch it in any order, so don't worry that you're skipping anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Artistic integrity is maintaining a brand name?

• Locked thread