Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?
So apparently a bunch of people actually went and saw that Michael Bay movie last night. I wasn't there because gently caress that, but other people were there and those people saw a trailer for Valencia aka The Cellar aka 10 Cloverfield Lane. Here is the poster and the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQy-ANhnUpE

Discuss.

Topper Harley fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Uhhh... I don't think this video is what it's supposed to be.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005

Martman posted:

Uhhh... I don't think this video is what it's supposed to be.

Hahaha! Fixed.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I love John Goodman in anything, and I love Cloverfield. Even though the trailer doesn't show any monsters, the title is like right loving there. And I'm really excited for a monster movie that completely shifts the genre from the first movie, ala Alien to Aliens.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
That trailer was the best part of the night when I watched 13 Hours.

I also like that it ditched the shaky cam from the first one. I took a dose of Dramamine before seeing it and it wore off halfway through. :barf:

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
That trailer got me interested, but part of me is wondering if this is an unrelated film that they decided to market with the Cloverfield name.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Lord Krangdar posted:

That trailer got me interested, but part of me is wondering if this is an unrelated film that they decided to market with the Cloverfield name.

It's gotta be the Cloverfield monster outside, maybe more than one because I think the ending of Cloverfield implied there was a younger one stomping around also, not to mention the parasite creatures that made people explode. I don't know if I should spoil this, but what little information there is out there says the girl was in a car crash, blacked out, and woke up in John Goodman's character's shelter where he tells her there's been a chemical attack and they can't go outside. Why he's lying instead of telling her that there's giant monsters out there is probably the theme of the movie, like "the real monster is humanity", that sort of thing.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005

Lord Krangdar posted:

This is sort of what I'm thinking it is. Several years ago, Matt Reeves alluded to the idea that they could branch off and show different stories that take place during the events of Cloverfield. Maybe this is Bad Robot's attempt to get an Anthology series off the ground similar to what John Carpenter tried to do with Halloween (and subsequently abandoned after Halloween 3 bombed).

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
Colour me excited, I loved the first one but part of me thinks that it was the experience of the film than the actual film, the ARG was great and that initial teaser in 2007 was just so cool.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
I dunno, looking into the credentials of some of the folks behind this, I'm not too excited. Here is the director's other thing he's done:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4drucg1A6Xk

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'll go see it. I like Cloverfield and love John Goodman, so yeah, let's do this.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The Cloverfield aspect is completely unappealing to me, but the idea of John Goodman in a character-driven cabin movie is pretty cool.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

BJPaskoff posted:

It's gotta be the Cloverfield monster outside, maybe more than one because I think the ending of Cloverfield implied there was a younger one stomping around also, not to mention the parasite creatures that made people explode.

I thought the monster in the movie was the younger one and was freaking out because it was a literal baby and everything was really scary.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

It took 8 years to make a Clloverfield sequel?

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006
This was a spec script called The Cellar that was bought up in 2012 by Bad Robot, and started production in 2014 under the title Valencia. No one knew it was Cloverfield related until this trailer dropped, I guess. So the assumption here is that this is a standalone thriller that probably got rewritten to make a couple of references to Cloverfield, but other than that it's probably not related at all (the people on the production describe it as a "blood relative" which should give an idea).

In other words, expect a lot of people getting pissed off when they go check this out and discover it's a chamber piece with like 2 minutes of actual Cloverfield stuff in it. Regardless I'll check it out because I'm a big fan of Mary Elizabeth Winstead and John Goodman. And if you can't wait: watch Faults on Netflix. Another movie about Mary Elizabeth Winstead trapped somewhere that's very good!

Edit: It's worth mentioning that The Cellar was conceived by Josh Campbell and Matthew Stuecken, but a third writer came on to work with the script once they decided to change it into a Cloverfield movie. That writer? Damien Chazelle, writer/director of Whiplash.

justlikedunkirk fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 16, 2016

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Somebody reassembled the trailer in an order that made sense to them. I like it.

http://imgur.com/a/poOmz

And then, there's the website https://www.3-11-16.com which redirects to an image of a bomb shelter.

Two lines of thinking on this: Paramount is just doing a cash grab, slapping some cloverfield bumper stickers on an existing movie, OR, JJ Abrams held a screening 4 months ago but intentionally omitted anything cloverfield to keep it under wraps.

Given how they pulled off that first movie under wraps, I'm hopeful this is the same thing. Please oh please do not let this be Blair Witch 2: The Witchening.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

justlikedunkirk posted:

discover it's a chamber piece with like 2 minutes of actual Cloverfield stuff in it.

So just like the first movie! :v:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bad Robot really has the movie marketing thing down, it's amazing that other studios haven't figured out "Explain nothing or very little of the plot in the trailer" as well as they have.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Bad Robot really has the movie marketing thing down, it's amazing that other studios haven't figured out "Explain nothing or very little of the plot in the trailer" as well as they have.
I dunno, it was an extremely annoying shtick, until we kinda forgot about it as JJA started doing star movies and played things differently.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
I, for one, am excited to see how this plays out. I looked at the imgur take on it and the only thing I disagree with is the "she's taking a video as an homage to the original." It looks blindingly apparent to me that she is trying to find a cell signal. If anything, I would imagine that scene is very early in the movie as she discovers not only is she handcuffed and has a broken leg but is being held against her will. Of course she tries her phone (and of course it doesn't work X feet below ground which is why Goodman's character lets her keep it).

Perhaps this is a totally separate movie that was shoehorned into the Cloverfield universe but even it is, the premise looks interesting without a giant monster running amok. If they use the events of the first film as a backdrop or as a macguffin to keep them down below, that might be all that's needed, though I would be disappointed if they use the opportunity to give us a little more lore about what actually happened before/after the attack on New York.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

magnificent7 posted:

And then, there's the website https://www.3-11-16.com which redirects to an image of a bomb shelter.

That website was only registered today and redirects to some real estate company's random image. They don't control the image it points to and can be changed to deleted at any time. I seriously doubt that's officially connected to the movie.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

FCKGW posted:

That website was only registered today and redirects to some real estate company's random image. They don't control the image it points to and can be changed to deleted at any time. I seriously doubt that's officially connected to the movie.

The realty website, bottom of the page:

Design by yesimarobot
http://yesimarobot.com/

Guy's been on twitter since April 2008? No clue.

But... come on. BAD ROBOT, and this is yesIamarobot.com?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ufarn posted:

I dunno, it was an extremely annoying shtick, until we kinda forgot about it as JJA started doing star movies and played things differently.

I mean basically, if this is any other studio, no one gives a poo poo about this movie.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Wow, this is like the next level of movie secrecy where instead of just withholding the movie title (which the first Cloverfield did) they film it by cover of night and spring it on everyone.

It's probably going to suck like the first Cloverfield aside from the novelty of stuff blowing up.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

magnificent7 posted:

Somebody reassembled the trailer in an order that made sense to them. I like it.

http://imgur.com/a/poOmz

That order fits the progression of the wound on John Goodman's head too, fitting with a bottle attack being the first thing we see happen to him in the movie. I hate that JJ has me playing this game with a movie again. They better be drinking slusho, I tell you what.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

magnificent7 posted:

The realty website, bottom of the page:

Design by yesimarobot
http://yesimarobot.com/

Guy's been on twitter since April 2008? No clue.

But... come on. BAD ROBOT, and this is yesIamarobot.com?

So you think JJ has been running a real estate company since 2008 in anticipation of this movie?

Someone registered the site today, googled "bomb shelter" and redirected it to the first image he found. Seriously, it's not an ARG site.

Plus Reddit has been calling the Realty website and the designer all day and they're getting pretty irritated now.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

With Fringe JJ recorded and pressed and artificially weathered 300 copies of a fake lp by a fake band and had people stash copies in the bargain bins of used record stores and didn't tell anyone for 9 months--and only because nobody seemed to have found any of them. I think only about five were ever found or documented by fans of the show. The rest were instantly snapped up by vinyl collectors who had never seen the show but thought that they had found some really rare record nobody knew about, which was kind of true.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Jack Gladney posted:

With Fringe JJ recorded and pressed and artificially weathered 300 copies of a fake lp by a fake band and had people stash copies in the bargain bins of used record stores and didn't tell anyone for 9 months--and only because nobody seemed to have found any of them. I think only about five were ever found or documented by fans of the show. The rest were instantly snapped up by vinyl collectors who had never seen the show but thought that they had found some really rare record nobody knew about, which was kind of true.

This is actually pretty cool.

Joakim Brecht
Aug 20, 2013

justlikedunkirk posted:

Edit: It's worth mentioning that The Cellar was conceived by Josh Campbell and Matthew Stuecken, but a third writer came on to work with the script once they decided to change it into a Cloverfield movie. That writer?
Albert Einstein.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

I thought the monster in the movie was the younger one and was freaking out because it was a literal baby and everything was really scary.

Yeah, the idea was that Clover was an infant screaming for Mommy, terrified and acting on instinct, crawling over things that felt wrong to it and being poked at by things it didn't understand.

As far as this movie is concerned, I'm torn. I liked the first movie and I want to say I'd be fine with a side story in the same universe (especially since I like Halloween 3 and feel people's rejection of it was dumb), but I'd be lying if I said I'd be kosher with the sequel to the Giant Monster Movie not featuring the Giant Monster somewhere significant in the plot. No, don't try and feed me some disingenuous ~maybe humans are the Real Monsters~ poo poo.

Jack Gladney posted:

I hate that JJ has me playing this game with a movie again. They better be drinking slusho, I tell you what.

ARGs aren't really a thing anymore (unless they are and I don't know), but I really hope that if they do an ARG-like thing again, they do a better job of it than they did with the first movie. I get it, 90% of your viewers aren't going to pay attention to it, so you can't put important stuff in it, but Christ there was a lot of unresolved-and-thus-pointless stuff in the Cloverfield ARG that drowned out the fun "this might've caused the Monster to wake up" bits.

Random Cloverfield trivia, if I remember the commentary right: the director (or someone) of it was concerned that the first teaser trailer wouldn't convey what the movie was enough, so he ADR'd the clear line "I saw it, it's alive, it's huge" into the trailer. He excitedly went online a few days later to find that people online were furiously arguing if it was "Alive" or "A Lion", making people think it was a Voltron movie and making him feel :smith:

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jan 16, 2016

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i thought the explanation for the monster in cloverfield was dumb since you see something fall from the sky into the ocean during the fairground scene and can just assume it was an alien from space. there's really no reason to overexplain it with outside sources.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

i thought the explanation for the monster in cloverfield was dumb since you see something fall from the sky into the ocean during the fairground scene and can just assume it was an alien from space. there's really no reason to overexplain it with outside sources.
That was a Japanese satellite. (And yeah, I just had to go through the wikis and crap to remember what the hell actually happened in Cloverfield, because there's no way I remember.)

Even now, I'm not entirely sure about the significance of the satellite - nor why it fell down. Something to do with the organisation who poked the monster when it was snoozing.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 236 days!

MisterBibs posted:

Random Cloverfield trivia, if I remember the commentary right: the director (or someone) of it was concerned that the first teaser trailer wouldn't convey what the movie was enough, so he ADR'd the clear line "I saw it, it's alive, it's huge" into the trailer. He excitedly went online a few days later to find that people online were furiously arguing if it was "Alive" or "A Lion", making people think it was a Voltron movie and making him feel :smith:

If only he had been a goon. We could have warned him that the internet makes you stupid.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

MisterBibs posted:

Yeah, the idea was that Clover was an infant screaming for Mommy, terrified and acting on instinct, crawling over things that felt wrong to it and being poked at by things it didn't understand.

As far as this movie is concerned, I'm torn. I liked the first movie and I want to say I'd be fine with a side story in the same universe (especially since I like Halloween 3 and feel people's rejection of it was dumb), but I'd be lying if I said I'd be kosher with the sequel to the Giant Monster Movie not featuring the Giant Monster somewhere significant in the plot. No, don't try and feed me some disingenuous ~maybe humans are the Real Monsters~ poo poo.

ARGs aren't really a thing anymore (unless they are and I don't know), but I really hope that if they do an ARG-like thing again, they do a better job of it than they did with the first movie. I get it, 90% of your viewers aren't going to pay attention to it, so you can't put important stuff in it, but Christ there was a lot of unresolved-and-thus-pointless stuff in the Cloverfield ARG that drowned out the fun "this might've caused the Monster to wake up" bits.

They still are.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ufarn posted:

That was a Japanese satellite. (And yeah, I just had to go through the wikis and crap to remember what the hell actually happened in Cloverfield, because there's no way I remember.)

Even now, I'm not entirely sure about the significance of the satellite - nor why it fell down. Something to do with the organisation who poked the monster when it was snoozing.

oh yeah i know what it was "supposed" to be but the explanation is extraneous because within the film the monster can be explained as falling from the sky in that scene (which is what i thought happened).

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

FCKGW posted:

So you think JJ has been running a real estate company since 2008 in anticipation of this movie?

Someone registered the site today, googled "bomb shelter" and redirected it to the first image he found. Seriously, it's not an ARG site.

Plus Reddit has been calling the Realty website and the designer all day and they're getting pretty irritated now.
Yep. I agree with all this. I'm trying not to go down the ARG rabbit hole but it's just so drat fun.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Jack Gladney posted:

That's actually pretty cool. I hate JJ but nice one and something more creative.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I don't know how anyone could hate JJ. He's basically the only person who would try and actually succeed at producing a sequel to a movie that the Internet obsessed over and actually keep it a secret until the trailer shows up out of no where 2 months before release. He's good at what he does. He may have fumbled the ball a few times, but for the most part, he creates a lot of experiences that are actually fun.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

BJPaskoff posted:

I love John Goodman in anything, and I love Cloverfield. Even though the trailer doesn't show any monsters, the title is like right loving there. And I'm really excited for a monster movie that completely shifts the genre from the first movie, ala Alien to Aliens.

The "I Don't feel so good" moment is one of the most shocking and traumatising deaths in any modern horror movie. If this comes even close to replicating that, it'll have been a couple of million well spent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

ufarn posted:

I always figured that whomever was watching the tape was only interested in that one or two seconds of footage, there'd be millions of hours of footage from an attack on NYC, this is the only found footage that might explain the reason behind the monster.

• Locked thread