Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

oswald ownenstein posted:

So John Goodman really was some kind of psycho girl killer or was that just implied but left open?

The idea that you can have both a legit crazy guy like this and also the whole sci fi element in the same movie is pretty cool

He certainly abducted her or falsely imprisoned her, and so however she died he's responsible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I loved this movie, even the last 10 minutes. I hope there's a third Cloverfield movie that's also only loosely related to the other two. Would be a perfect anthology trilogy (anthrilogy?).

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Has anyone seen any pictures online of the monster? I saw the movie at a drive in and basically every thing after the sun went down was too dark to see. Even the ship she destroys was mostly silhouettes but I at least got the idea.

Any GIS I try just turn up stuff from the original Cloverfield.

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

On the connection between Brittany and Megan. When Emmett is describing the picture of Brittany, he both readily recognizes her and says that when she disappeared everyone thought that she "skipped town." I'd like to watch it again to double check but I remember the girl in the Polaroid appeared to be ~11 or 12 years old and if a girl that young goes missing there's no way people assume that she just up and left to start a new life somewhere. When she disappeared she must've been old enough that people just assumed she took off as opposed to getting abducted. It seemed to me that the photo of the girl in the shirt was there to establish Howard's obsession in recreating a relationship with his estranged daughter down to the minutiae.

Most like only time will tell and I can't wait to see it again.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TheBizzness posted:

Has anyone seen any pictures online of the monster? I saw the movie at a drive in and basically every thing after the sun went down was too dark to see. Even the ship she destroys was mostly silhouettes but I at least got the idea.

Any GIS I try just turn up stuff from the original Cloverfield.

I don't have a pic but it pretty much looks like a monster monkey disco ball.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Camel Camus posted:

On the connection between Brittany and Megan. When Emmett is describing the picture of Brittany, he both readily recognizes her and says that when she disappeared everyone thought that she "skipped town." I'd like to watch it again to double check but I remember the girl in the Polaroid appeared to be ~11 or 12 years old and if a girl that young goes missing there's no way people assume that she just up and left to start a new life somewhere. When she disappeared she must've been old enough that people just assumed she took off as opposed to getting abducted. It seemed to me that the photo of the girl in the shirt was there to establish Howard's obsession in recreating a relationship with his estranged daughter down to the minutiae.

Most like only time will tell and I can't wait to see it again.
There are two photos of girls shown in the film.
The photos are non-identical.
However, the photos are of the exact same girl, who is explicitly named.

It's just that in this case the actress is actually close to the specified age. The same shirt fits the 31 year old MEW. Some people just have young-looking faces.
Believe it or not, most teenagers do not actually look like like soap opera cast members.

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

Right, I get that there are two photos, but there seemed to be a pretty hefty age difference between them. Like the first photo, the portrait, looked like a teenaged girl around 17 or 18 and the polaroid looked like it was of someone in middle school. It could've been partially because of the fact that in the second photo shown, the girl seems much smaller than she would have if she weren't next to the behemoth of a man that John Goodman is, but her face seemed not only different but much younger to me than in the first photo. Since the first photo appeared to be a school photo or something and not a photo that Howard took of the girl by himself, I assumed that she had been abducted after it was taken. Seeing a seemingly younger girl in the very next photo (the Polaroid), I assumed it was impossible for it to have been the same girl, since she would have been at least as old as she was in the first photo when Howard kidnapped her. If the second photo shown appears to be of a girl around the ages of 11 or 12, that would be someone that people would not have assumed had just "skipped town," but instead had been kidnapped and made a bug fuss over.

I'll definitely have to rewatch it to double check but I think part of the point with both Brittany and MEW was that they physically look really really similarly to Megan, in keeping with Howard's delusions, which is why it's so hard to read definitively (whichever way turns out to be the truth) in a first viewing.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The polaroid just isn't 'professionally' taken. It is absolutely, totally, 100% the same girl.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Admittedly I saw it at a drive-in so the picture quality was a little iffy, but it seemed pretty clear that the girl in the Polaroid was younger(around 11-12) while the high school picture was clearly a high school aged girl.

edit: If both photos are supposed to be of Brittany and she just happens to look 5 years younger in Polaroids for some reason then that still asks the question who would be taking photos of John Goodman and this girl he abducted?

bango skank fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 29, 2016

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

bango skank posted:

who would be taking photos of John Goodman and this girl he abducted?

This is a good point.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Obviously Emmet.

Can we go back to the honeypot discussion? Both are dumb but at least that one was hilariously dumb.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

bango skank posted:

edit: If both photos are supposed to be of Brittany and she just happens to look 5 years younger in Polaroids for some reason then that still asks the question who would be taking photos of John Goodman and this girl he abducted?

Cameras have had timers for this purpose for years.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
One thing i've always wondered about these fallout shelters full of limited amounts of water and air.. How do you wash dishes? How do you dispose of food containers?

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

coyo7e posted:

One thing i've always wondered about these fallout shelters full of limited amounts of water and air.. How do you wash dishes? How do you dispose of food containers?

Build it with well access? Wash the containers?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

synthetik posted:

Build it with well access? Wash the containers?
Are you that unfamiliar on this subject that you've never even seen one of those doomsday prep reality shows where they literally rate people on how sustainable and/or long-term their doomsday prep plans and bunkers are? It's like, A Thing nowadays.

Wells get contaminated - eventually some radiation or contaminants will get into the supply if you're relying on it. You have to expend your limited amount of water to wash stuff, which means you'd either be using mainly disposable stuff and have an incinerator, or have a ridiculous amount of water stored - and water just doesn't keep for that long when you're talking about time-scales involving survivalist shelter scenarios. There were no indications of water being filtered or boiled, or even just recycled from the showers and dishwater if nothing else. And there's really not a choice in the matter - even just leaving around empty food and beverage containers will be a hot-zone for mold and bacteria to fester and spread throughout your carefully set-up shelter.

Look at Flint, Michigan right now for example.. The water in those homes is so contaminated with lead that one potentially cannot safely use it to cook, wash dishes, or even bathe in. Living on a few bottles of water a day looks good on film however, you're either gonna be filthy RQ or you're going to die from Legionnaire's Disease or cholera or something.. And boiling contaminated water - (be it with a bacterial growth, or radiation/etc) you can't just boil that poo poo away, it'll still kill ya.

If you are just going pure disposable that's okay to a point however, you're gonna run out of plastic forks and paper plates (and potentially the fuel to run the genny, light the incinerator etc) so maybe you'd want some like, stainless steel flatware and silverware and a medical-grade sterilzation unit.. That still uses both energy and H2O as well, and if you're not figuring out some way to get the water from the toilets and dishwater back into at least some form of crculation, your days are quite literally numbered. I grew up in California in the water-starved days of "if it's brown flush it down, if it's yellow it's mellow" droughts, and that was not nearly as serious as things are looking for there in the near future.

So where were the recycling units? They showed some huge-rear end water reservoirs in this movie's shelter at points, but not nearly enough to actually keep one person going for more than a year or two - let alone a few years.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 30, 2016

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I'm glad they spent the movie on interesting things and not going in to detail of their water filtration systems.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

coyo7e posted:

there's people living in non-apocalyptic conditions right now washing their dishes with limited amounts of water, you just don't throw your poo poo in the sink and dump gallons of water on it, but irl fallout shelters are strictly temporary hideaways and they were going for more an Ariel Castro thing than a claustrophobic three-week remake of The Martian

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 30, 2016

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

coyo7e posted:

Are you that unfamiliar on this subject that you've never even seen one of those doomsday prep reality shows where they literally rate people on how sustainable and/or long-term their doomsday prep plans and bunkers are?

That would be correct, I've never watched a doomsday prep reality show.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

you haven't lived man

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

synthetik posted:

That would be correct, I've never watched a doomsday prep reality show.

You should, they're loving hilarious.

I just watched this for the second time tonight and the photographs are of different girls.

Also it turns out that Howard was born Dan Conner and, following his wife leaving him and taking his children, he had a psychotic break, ultimately resulting in him changing his legal name and joining the Navy in an attempt to forget the fractured and ever-shifting memories of his past life.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Wheeee posted:

You should, they're loving hilarious.
Probably the best of all-time was the one where teh guy who professionally makes survival shelters/bunkers, decides to build a 4 or 5 foot-tall "budget" pyramidal-shaped shelter for surviving bomb/nuclear blasts, climbs inside, and then has someone test it by lighting it up with a for-real flamethrower.

I lived with a contractor for a couple years who was fixated on that show and Holmes on Homes, etc.. The doomsday prep shows on DIY/etc are really just pure comedy gold... If for no other reason than to realize that guy got paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to build poorly-planned doomsday bunkers (the one which was just an emergency food-storage where he pointed all of the ventilation ducts uphill and then built it in a natural bowl, for instance.. Those poor idiots must've paid him a grip of money to basically build an underground bathtub for them.)

Great movie but I've known too many survivalists and seen too many prepper shows to really take most of it seriously.. Like "hey bro, you're 6'+ and 300+ lbs.. You really never considered how you'd perform your own maintenance if something needs a replacement filter, wears out, or just plain breaks?"

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I vividly remember an episode of Doomsday Preppers where some high roller's super secret doomsday bunker hidden in an unmarked lot in the middle of the woods kept getting broken into by methheads, so in true wasteland raider fashion he hired a guy to rig him up some automated gun turrets to shoot anyone/anything passing through his little patch of nowhere, which they all apparently saw no problem with letting be filmed for TV

high water mark of our civilization, man

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I vividly remember an episode of Doomsday Preppers where some high roller's super secret doomsday bunker hidden in an unmarked lot in the middle of the woods kept getting broken into by methheads, so in true wasteland raider fashion he hired a guy to rig him up some automated gun turrets to shoot anyone/anything passing through his little patch of nowhere, which they all apparently saw no problem with letting be filmed for TV

Whoa poo poo I missed that one. I bet the feds had a field day serving him subpeonas. :gonk:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I remember one episode of Doomsday Preppers had them building a shelter for this one guy that was a major figure in the prepper movement and their main motivation was doing a good job so they'd get lots of recommendations for other jobs.

And then they had this bulletproof door that they tested by shooting assault rifles and I think someone threw a grenade at it too.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

hahah that dude owns

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

computer parts posted:

I remember one episode of Doomsday Preppers had them building a shelter for this one guy that was a major figure in the prepper movement and their main motivation was doing a good job so they'd get lots of recommendations for other jobs.

And then they had this bulletproof door that they tested by shooting assault rifles and I think someone threw a grenade at it too.
I mainly recall the ones where they were too stupid to have done the logistics to place a multi-hundred-thousand-dollar structure on a flatbed trailer and then not be able to make it past basic obstacles like boggy/soft spots in the highway, bridges, and sharp corners.

Not sure if this is a leech video so let me know and I'll remove it if it is, the hilarity is straight through but move forward to about 36 minutes in for the epitome of idiocity. http://www.disclose.tv/action/viewvideo/92444/Doomsday_Bunkers___Pyramid_Pod__Booby_Trap___S1E2/

So basically John Goodman was pretty accurate to my experience watching these prepper idiots on TV - although he owned way too few guns to be a realistic prepper.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Mar 30, 2016

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Prepper stuff aside, Goodman gave an absolutely incredible portrayal of an emotionally unstable, paranoid abuser.

Like, scary good.

He seriously should be at the very least nominated for an academy award, as has been noted before with regard to the little things like mouthing his instructions back to himself, his eye movements, his hands... He was perfect, and carried an otherwise pretty good movie to greatness.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah he was loving terrifying.

This is one of the few movies where I think going in with less knowledge is way way better.. Even thought I'd have not even known it was a film if I hadn't seen the teaser.

Knowing even that it's a "sorta kinda maybe" sequel to Cloverfield meant I kept waiting for the *money shot*, but if you just sat someone down in front of this movie they would possibly be super upset through a good chunk of it, regardless of finding out what happened and who or what the "ultimate threat" ended up as.

I hope they don't have a sequel because I think it could've ended most elegantly with the shot of her starting up one of the vehicles and just flooring it through the cornfield. The ending sequence felt pretty much like "Falling Skies" or even a poor Walking Dead" wannabe, and I really don't feel it was necessary, and that possibly it brought things down a notch or two.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Mar 30, 2016

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

coyo7e posted:

Knowing even that it's a "sorta kinda maybe" sequel to Cloverfield meant I kept waiting for the *money shot*, but if you just sat someone down in front of this movie they would possibly be super upset through a good chunk of it, regardless of finding out what happened and who or what the "ultimate threat" ended up as.

Well, John Goodman was the ultimate threat, dude was a loving unstoppable terminator fueled by paranoia and psychosis, whereas the aliens are a bunch of punk rear end bitches.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Wheeee posted:

Well, John Goodman was the ultimate threat, dude was a loving unstoppable terminator fueled by paranoia and psychosis, whereas the aliens are a bunch of punk rear end bitches.
Yeah I get that. I actually think it would've been a better movie overall if they kept things unexplained for the entire movie, up to and including the ending sequence.. Just flat take out: the monster/ship fight, "we're pushing them back along the southern seaboard!" radio epilogue, and her driving toward Houston... Like literally just end with her getting out, the thing blowing up, and her driving away into the corn.

Of course then it wouldn't really be a cloverfield movie, because they really seem to want to make it into a franchise.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Not spoilering. It's the same chick.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

So was one of the aliens holding the camera or

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Cameras have had self timers before John Goodman was born.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Should probably spoiler it though.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I enjoyed this movie. fleshy, melted john goodman attempting to bargain with MEW to stay with him whilst trying to stab her to death through the vents is not a scene i will soon forget

the aliens r cool

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

falz posted:

Not spoilering. It's the same chick.

Thank you for doing this so that this can finally be put to rest.
If you capped this from a can, can you post the full version of the later photo? Apparently a thing a lot of people miss is that her hands are bound, but I didn't catch it myself.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

bewilderment posted:

Thank you for doing this so that this can finally be put to rest.
If you capped this from a can, can you post the full version of the later photo? Apparently a thing a lot of people miss is that her hands are bound, but I didn't catch it myself.
Interesting, i hadn't noticed that. The advice source is blurry, but I'll check later today.

My reason for not spoliering is because it's been out for a few weeks already.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

bewilderment posted:

Apparently a thing a lot of people miss is that her hands are bound, but I didn't catch it myself.

It does appear to be that way! I certainly didn't catch it either.

Also recapped these at their native but still super lovely res.

So if he did actually have a daughter, it certainly wasn't this doomed soul.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Didn't notice the hands during the movie. Such a small detail, but seeing it in hindsight is giving me the creeps all over again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Good movie. Can't wait for the animated gifs of Mary Elizabeth Winstead driving while listening to Ben's message with MisterBibs' posts subtitled underneath it.

• Locked thread