Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

JazzFlight posted:

For anyone that cares, this game uses AI art. Not really a fan.

Yeah, and it also uses royalty-free Kevin MacLeod music. It was made by one guy and he’s letting you play it for free.

Don’t get me wrong, I also recoil at AI art when I see it on, for instance, social media. But personally I feel like its use in this game is probably a best-case scenario application. The game is improved by the characters looking like real people but it would have been expensive and maybe kinda weird if they were real pictures of real people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Kaewan posted:

I got a key for fo1 which I don't need for gog galaxy, whatever that is.

M8ARB99BA20C86344B

i grabbed this. thanks!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Teledahn posted:

Here, play a browser based detective game.

https://jjohnstongames.itch.io/the-roottrees-are-dead

It's free. Pretty good.

Post free games.

This is great, wow.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Oh, somehow I had completely missed that 20 Small Mazes was a FLEB joint. Didn't expect to see him suddenly pop up again.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

timp posted:

Yeah, and it also uses royalty-free Kevin MacLeod music. It was made by one guy and he’s letting you play it for free.

JazzFlight posted:

For anyone that cares, this game uses AI art. Not really a fan.

Single person dev teams releasing fun games for free sounds like perhaps the ideal use of AI art.

If it was commercial, perhaps as starting placeholders but no way in a finished product.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Teledahn posted:

Here, play a browser based detective game.

https://jjohnstongames.itch.io/the-roottrees-are-dead

It's free. Pretty good.

Post free games.

OK I'm going a little insane. In the tutorial, I got it by brute forcing, but what the hell are you supposed to do to see which of the girls match up to their photos!?

I'm obviously past it now, but I feel like I cheated to get here.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Drowning Rabbit posted:

OK I'm going a little insane. In the tutorial, I got it by brute forcing, but what the hell are you supposed to do to see which of the girls match up to their photos!?

I'm obviously past it now, but I feel like I cheated to get here.

It's been a while since I played that part, but if I remember correctly it's simple: if you search for one of their names directly, you find a fanpage. That fanpage says stuff like "I love wearing plaid, Blah's signature look" and "I want to pierce my ears like Bleh", and you combine that with a few of the other facts you should be able to pick up by searching names to attach names to appearance and birth order and sort everything out.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Lurks With Wolves posted:

It's been a while since I played that part, but if I remember correctly it's simple: if you search for one of their names directly, you find a fanpage. That fanpage says stuff like "I love wearing plaid, Blah's signature look" and "I want to pierce my ears like Bleh", and you combine that with a few of the other facts you should be able to pick up by searching names to attach names to appearance and birth order and sort everything out.

Hrm, I found a fan page, but best it did was talk about them being models and the youngest being the smart one.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Hrm, I found a fan page, but best it did was talk about them being models and the youngest being the smart one.

IIRC if you search for the fashion brand you get a blurb about one of them loving 'plaid' clothes or something.
Pasting the search results into your notebook and deleting the chaff helps a bit.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Read more carefully, you can sort out which one is which from just that page. The whole game is about separating the wheat from the chaff (moreso than the game necessarily has to, since it obviously isn't going to just present you with tens of webpages rather than summarize the results of your search).

The missing name needs further searching, though.

It's a fun enough game, but there's still a degree of stumbling around searching for things until you find the right thing to let you search for something else.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Drowning Rabbit posted:

On the fan page you're mentioning it says "I want to get my ears pierced like Rhose" and "I try to wear plaid clothes like Rhiley".

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Superrodan posted:

On the fan page you're mentioning it says "I want to get my ears pierced like Rhose" and "I try to wear plaid clothes like Rhiley".

Completely missed that apparently. I blew past all that stuff today though and I'm down to 44/50 if I recall, and I'm fairly certain I already fixed one of them. Hitting a little bit of a wall with some things, but I have thoughts on how to proceed. Just spent far too much time messing with this today.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Completely missed that apparently. I blew past all that stuff today though and I'm down to 44/50 if I recall, and I'm fairly certain I already fixed one of them. Hitting a little bit of a wall with some things, but I have thoughts on how to proceed. Just spent far too much time messing with this today.

The flyer you get is pretty helpful, improbably

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Ariel_Knight’s Never Yield is free on Epic: https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/aerial-knights-never-yield

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Is this better than American McGee's Alice?

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
Space Crew: Legendary Edition free to keep on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1176710/Space_Crew_Legendary_Edition/

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Space Crew gets a little repetitive and simplistic but its a decent enough game to spend a few hours in.
And if you have Bomber crew you can import some of your team to add to your Space team.

e: oh, looks like this is to advertise their new game. Badlands Crew.
You see, they have this theme going.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 1, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I didn't even know there was a space crew. Oh well, it allowed me to pick up the bomber crew DLC for cheap.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The total lack of a pause combined with everyone needing so much micromanagement in bomber crew really turned me off the game :(

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
I enjoyed Bomber Crew, and I figured Space Crew would have some similarities, but it might as well be the exact same game with a reskin. The same old formula just didn't hook me the same way.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Loading it up again. It is fun, but there is a bit too much to do. I think it would be more fun if you could just point at enemy fighters and click a button instead of having to hover. That few seconds of hovering just makes it a bit too annoying when already having to manage so many other things on the plane. So if Space Crew is the exact same, I might not play much of it, even if I do like space. I definitely won't be buying badlands crew then since I don't like mad max like settings.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
space crew has landing missions, which are really bad.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The janky but fun looking naval combat game Blackwake changed from a paid game to free to play: https://store.steampowered.com/app/420290/Blackwake/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Well, if anything, that space crew game going free reminded me of bomber crew. I looked up mods for it and there is an auto tag fighters mod. The game is actually fun now and I can focus on the mission while the guns are shooting away. This will be my new steam deck game.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I wanted to like bomber crew but that was a huge part of why I refunded it.

I get that the game is about spinning plates but there was so much to do and the gunners doing nothing until the player manually tagged fighters was maddening

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

why even bother with the metaphor of assigning humans to posts if they're not going to do their job lol

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

alexandriao posted:

why even bother with the metaphor of assigning humans to posts if they're not going to do their job lol

this sums up my feelings about the game better than i could

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's what frustrated me about it. The auto tagging mod makes the game a million times more fun. But it's not like it's cheating, because you still need someone in the radio position in order for them to pop up on the radar. It only tags them if they show up on radar.

I honestly don't know why they felt the need to make the tagging so tedious. I'm still keeping plates spinning, but I'm also not having to spend 5 seconds per plane to tag the 20 planes in the air, and then whoops, I missed bombing the target because I had to tell the gunners where all the planes are. I know it's not a simulation or anything, but the bombardier of a real bomber isn't tasked with pointing out all the enemy planes when lining up the target in the bomb sight. There's still plenty of risks and the game is still challenging, it's just not so challenging that I do part of one mission and then alt-f4 because it's so frustrating and tedious. But it also means I don't want to play any other games these people make if the vanilla version is what they think is a fun game.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
Is there a similar mod for Space Crew? I haven't been able to find it, but it might be enough to get me to play it again.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

revtoiletduck posted:

Is there a similar mod for Space Crew? I haven't been able to find it, but it might be enough to get me to play it again.

Looks like no, but apparently you can just edit the Assembly-CSharp.dll file of unity games to mod them? I think bomber crew has a skill for radio operators that does the auto tagging, so the mod just sets this to always be on. I think space crew has the same. I looked at the code for the commstation in its assembly file and it has an autoTag thing as well, but I haven't tried setting it to always be on. So if you're motivated enough to try messing with it, I think you could get it to do that.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Space Crew doesn't need a mod, it's got an option that turns on auto-tagging (so long as your comms officer or whatever is at their station). Also has an option to give you an extra crewman so you don't have to juggle people as much. I still prefer Bomber Crew tho, Space Crew just, doesn't have enough going on to keep it interesting, and the damage modeling isn't fun anymore, since they can't just put holes straight through your ship visually anymore.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Jawnycat posted:

Space Crew doesn't need a mod, it's got an option that turns on auto-tagging (so long as your comms officer or whatever is at their station). Also has an option to give you an extra crewman so you don't have to juggle people as much. I still prefer Bomber Crew tho, Space Crew just, doesn't have enough going on to keep it interesting, and the damage modeling isn't fun anymore, since they can't just put holes straight through your ship visually anymore.

where is that option?

edit; it looks like auto targeting is the last ability the coms character unlocks, only tags for a short time and you need to be level 12

Kly fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 4, 2024

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Kly posted:

where is that option?

edit; it looks like auto targeting is the last ability the coms character unlocks, only tags for a short time and you need to be level 12

It's in a different menu, tho you can see the button for that menu at the bottom there. "Adjust difficulty", is only accessible from the canteen or whatever it's called.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

found it, thank you!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i got real sick of bomber crew real fast, but i had a nice chill time playing through space crew with autotagging on a low difficulty setting. there's not a lot to it, but i found it relaxing.

i think i got it free from amazon prime at some point?

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
I think it has been free on the Epic Store before.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

revtoiletduck posted:

I think it has been free on the Epic Store before.

It has certainly been free on Prime gaming but in a drm-less/no dlc package, I think before the lockdown or early lockdown at best.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/owendeery/status/1765032553147245010
As of the time of this posting, you can still buy the game (no discount) on the digital stores, but the free download page is already up.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If I were wb I'd be more worried about trying to write off suicide squad than some small indie game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008

Hogama posted:

https://twitter.com/owendeery/status/1765032553147245010
As of the time of this posting, you can still buy the game (no discount) on the digital stores, but the free download page is already up.

I dunno why, but I actually bought this a while ago, it's a bit odd, but decent.